What's it like going to a highly ranked/selective school ? (1 Viewer)

kietkiet

HSC
I go to a pretty low ranked school (>500) and i'm curious to know what it's like to be in a more 'smarter' or 'competitive' environment.

Has it motivated you to study harder or has the pressure of your cohorts drained your confidence.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
At selective school, everyone pretty much has tutoring, does 4uchembiophysbrah.
I don't go to a selective, but I don't think its confidence draining, coz at the end of the day, even though if you are sitting in the bottom 25 percentile at your school, thats would still be fairly high compared to the rest of the state.

+there as some other advantages that I have posted in previous threads. (RoT, Makematics, JT145 will know).

kietkiet

HSC
I don't go to a selective, but I don't think its confidence draining, coz at the end of the day, even though if you are sitting in the bottom 25 percentile at your school, thats would still be fairly high compared to the rest of the state.

+there as some other advantages that I have posted in previous threads. (RoT, Makematics, JT145 will know).
That makes sense. It must be a lot of pressure for them to get 90+ ATARs to get into the Universities in Sydney. Most of the Sydney Uni cut-offs are like in the 90s, whereas in Newcastle the ATAR cut-offs are pretty low haha

anguyenh

HSC

I beg to differ, haha. I go to an un-named school in the Top 20 and it's pretty diverse. You do have the (mainly) Asians doing those subjects, but there are plenty of people doing NO sciences or no maths, sticking with humanities/histories/arts etc. (like me* ^__^) And heaps of people don't go tuition.
*I do Maths though...

Yeah but our "lower" ATARs are relatively higher compared to the rest of the State, I guess... But if you don't plan on going to uni or don't need a degree it's so not worth the BS/competition/pressure/nagging of teachers (and rents) of going to one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)