What's so good about marriage? (1 Viewer)

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
The couple extend their lives and increase their wealth, while kids do better at school, are more likely to form good, stable relationships later in life etc etc. This is "better" than the alternative?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
We'll split the difference and compare notes 80days from now in Paris

brasileira

HSC
Marriage is not sacred anymore, australia is just like america. Marriage should be the final step, you should be so totally obsessed with someone that everything you do for each other and how much you love each other has been totally exhausted that the only thing left for you to do is to marry them. problem is people think they find a partner who suits them and they feel the need to lock them down, they get married cos they want a life partner, then they have kids. Then problems come up and they watch fuckin DR Phil and Oprah, and analyse things way too much and life seems sooooo complicated, then they divorce. When if you just had that solid unconditional love in the beginning you can always remember that, and do everything possible to stay together, its so simple.

If your not meant to be then divorce whatever.. (what about your families, wtf would they think, are you that much of a loser?) .. But it all comes down to the basis of your relationship, if you got married on dumb pretences then you deserve to be divorced and miserable

Teclis

The White Tower of Hoeth, Saphery, Ulthuan
HSC
Well... I think looking at the history of the institution of Marriage is interesting.

Divorce being something that used to not be an option at all... So what marriage SHOULD be is making a permanent commitment... people say "Till death do us part"... then get a divorce in their mid 40's for whatever reason... so really it's more of a "till we get over each other we'll say that we're together."

So a lot of the time, in our culture where Divorce seems to be the preffered option over staying together when unhappy... marriage is, yes, an outdated institution.

What marriage is SUPPOSED to be is altogether different... and in my opinion the biblical picture of Marriage is pretty damn amazing.

A man and a woman, making a commitment before God, friends and family, to be joined for life. Each playing roles to care for the other...

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
*Baby-K* said:
I am not negative- I want to marry later on in my life have a massive white wedding in Paris etc BUT
I am sick of hearing this bullsh**t from my bf about marriage and how it's so important blah blah blah his attitude is that he wants to marry (obviously not now) and be proud to call me his wife and not a partner. To me - it just sounds like he wants to be reassured I am his.
realisticly- WHAT DO YOU GET FROM IT?
that's right you get legal recognition when you split up because before then marriage doesn't provide you with any substantial legal rights. Marriage shows your committment and love for one another, and I am not so sure that everyone marries for love. There was someone in this post who said they're not marrying unless their husband earns 90K +
you actually get the same kind of legal recognition in a de facto relationship, as you do a marriage

-maddie-

HSC
the answer is society

people think its weird when two people have been together for a long time with kids (assuming you have them) and not married.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
-maddie- said:
the answer is society

people think its weird when two people have been together for a long time with kids (assuming you have them) and not married.
.. they do?

my parents had four children and were in a defacto for 20 years before they seperated. i dont think anyone ever thought their union was weird for being one other than marriage, and all their friends were married.

Bainesy

HSC
marriage is the ultimate sacrifice. you agree to be faithful to just one person

its very simple really, it shows you love the other person

its not that you cant get security or commitment without marriage, as you can. but marriage takes it that step further.

just think about it. if you have been with a person for 7 years but havent married and dont have children, you might feel utterly safe, secure and have all the committment you want. but realistically, your partner can break up with you and go and date someone else at any point. they have no true ties to you. but with marriage thats not quite so. a spouse cant exactly get up and leave without a big divorce case

be.yourself

HSC
i believe marriage is great, but why declare vows to one another, give empty promises which have attached results to them; why give someone the burden of needing to always please you, because you promised, 'til death do us part?'
i think wedding vows and ceremonies in churches are irrelevant as organised religion is nowadays. actually, both were irrelevant from the beginning. thats just my view.

Tristanator

HSC
be.yourself said:
i think wedding vows and ceremonies in churches are irrelevant as organised religion is nowadays. actually, both were irrelevant from the beginning. thats just my view.
No, marriage just began as a religious institution, the two are completely extricable...

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
sonyaleeisapixi said:
.. they do?

my parents had four children and were in a defacto for 20 years before they seperated. i dont think anyone ever thought their union was weird for being one other than marriage, and all their friends were married.
And they also managed to raise a cock-hungry teenager. Great outcome.
:p

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Marriage is great because it gives an excuse to hold a wedding and at this wedding will be bridesmaids who are all secretly wishing it was them getting married. This allows guys to manipulate this emotional retardation into a scenario where they get have sex with the bridesmaid.

That is why marriage is important to the fabric of our society today.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
Teclis said:
Well... I think looking at the history of the institution of Marriage is interesting.

Divorce being something that used to not be an option at all... So what marriage SHOULD be is making a permanent commitment... people say "Till death do us part"... then get a divorce in their mid 40's for whatever reason... so really it's more of a "till we get over each other we'll say that we're together."

So a lot of the time, in our culture where Divorce seems to be the preffered option over staying together when unhappy... marriage is, yes, an outdated institution.

What marriage is SUPPOSED to be is altogether different... and in my opinion the biblical picture of Marriage is pretty damn amazing.

A man and a woman, making a commitment before God, friends and family, to be joined for life. Each playing roles to care for the other...
a lot of young/unmarried people dont understand divorce, but it is generally the outcome of a couple not being in love anymore, in which case they shouldnt be together, whether they have kids or not.

being able to escape a loveless/abusive relationship is easier when unmarried. everyone goes on and on about high divorce rates but in many cases they are preferable to the alternative: staying with someone who is unfaithful, unloving, abusive for the sake of the marriage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)