What's the BEST 4 unit maths book? (1 Viewer)

emilios

HSC
terry lee

/thread

james y u revive a 10 yr old thread.

braintic

HSC
N/A
thats a matter of personal opinion because it depends on what mark you want or your career ambitions.

For me as a maths teacher in training, I found the Cambridge Maths book to be the best.
The best book by far is the unpublished Pender.

Chlee1998

HSC
Yeah the bill pender book is ACTUALLY the best. But ive only seen it through a friend. Im not sure whether its available online though.

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
Obvs up to personal preference

I taught myself integration and conics from Cambridge. In conjunction with Terry Lee (which is far more difficult), I felt comfortable with most of the content.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
Fitzpatrick is good for circular motion, banked tracks, conical pendulum etc. and some of conics.
Coroneous is the best for complex numbers
Terry lee, Cambridge are good allrounders though Cambridge uses some old hsc if I remember correctly
Cambridge for conics as above.
Patel is the best summarised one of the all. I liked his integration section.
Patel also wrote the Excel one which is decent too. (unlike for other subjects)

Last edited:

seanieg89

HSC
Here's a question: How do you buy textbooks? They are a special type of book, and I've never seen a bookstore stock them. Also, their cost is around three times more than your "average" book, with some going above $100.

Also, I've heard Terry Lee doesn't sell his textbooks anymore, or something...?
I buy my textbooks (And other books) from abebook.com, but you probably won't find much high school stuff there.

Some books are still pretty expensive but lots are a ton cheaper.

Last edited:

seanieg89

HSC
Haven't read the unpublished one of Pender but am quite confident it would be superior to any of the others I have seen, judging by the quality of his 3U book and my knowledge of the man.

I used Cambridge and did fine, the book shouldn't be an excuse for holding you back as long as you are conscientious and active about your learning. (Cambridge is probably one of the better ones though, annoying typesetting aside.)

angelarhhx

HSC
do you have the unpublished pender book? if you do can you please share?

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
do you have the unpublished pender book? if you do can you please share?
As I said before in another thread you have to get it through your teacher.

Here is my post in that other thread: http://community.boredofstudies.org...345701/coroneos-terry-lee-4u.html#post7077610

It won't be free.

Read what I said in that post, print out the order form (also available in that post), give it to your teacher and ask them nicely to send the order with appropriate payment.

AusHam

HSC
there's no right or wrong answer to this. it really comes down to what works with you in the end of the day.

Personally, I find the Terry Lee book to be the best for practice problems as it contains comprehensive worked solutions to each question

For conceptual understanding, I prefer the Cambridge book.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)