What's the best car for this? (1 Viewer)

carolineh1

HSC
I'm looking at buying (2nd hand) my first car with the help of my parents. At the moment, my plan is to go to UNE next year which about 7.5 hrs from Sydney via freeways etc. I'm a horse person too though, so I need plenty of room in the car for gear as well as when I move up to uni and whatever.

So basically, I'm looking for a small-ish automatic car that doesn't sacrifice on space or power for extended highway driving.

Opinions?

I really like the look of the Honda Jazz but haven't seen many 2nd hand ones below $12,000 or so, which is at the high end of my price range.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
utes are actually really impractical unless you need the space (how much horsey stuff do you have and use regularly?) and the two door can be a pain if you want to give more than 1 person a lift anywhere.

i agree with graney that a corolla is probably the best choice. i drive one myself and it's a good size/decent fuel consumption/decent power etc. i also do a lot of riding myself, and i've never had a problem carting around any of my stuff in it

carolineh1

HSC
A ute would be awesome to have when I'm older, but for now I won't be floating horses or even taking gear around all that often. Its just for the few times a year I'll be doing to longer trips home to uni and back, or to shows.

Basically, I'd just prefer not to be driving a clown car packed to the brim :)

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC

Predator78

HSC
The thing with this scenario is that there are comprimises. If you get a Euro such as a Golf, the service costs go through the roof but they are nice to drive and all. If you get a Jap car they are fairly equal for service costs and driving dynamics. If you want plenty of room for stuff there is the possibility of a wagon like this one? Fairly cheap but probably too big :(
2002 HOLDEN BERLINA Base VX II Cars For Sale in VIC - CarPoint Australia
If not I would look into a small hatchback/wagon where you can put the rear seats down :)
http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars...0&seot=1&__Nne=15&trecs=56&__sid=1291747311E8

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)