Whats the difference between a double course and a combined course? HELP! (1 Viewer)

Himezaki

Teh Train Ninja!
HSC
Ok, i'm soooooooo lost in the maze which is the HSC...

I wanna know

1.Whats a combined course?

2.Whats a double course?

3.Whats a major?

Yes i'm stupid. Don't laugh at me for my stupid questions. Please give me guidance.

HELP!

*slams head against wall*

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
I think a combined and double course are the same.

A major is the specific area in which most of your study on eg. You may get a Bachelor of Science which is the degree, and a major in Physics, you will do different subjects then one majoring in Chem. You can have multiple majors and can get double majors of some subjects (eg Double Major of Chemistry)

santaslayer

HSC
or were u referring to a "double major"?
if u were, i heard that this term has a few meanings, one being majoring in 2 areas like business law and actuarials. and the second meaning that u just go more in depth in ur one chosen major

abdooooo!!!

Banned
yeah whats the difference between doing a combined degree, and just doing one then choose the other and do that to gain the second degree? wouldn't the latter be advantages because you get to know what you like since you been through a bachelor degree so you can make better and have more choices...

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Because doing your degrees one at a time takes a few years longer.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
me don't think so... you can easily get one year of credits that is overlapping for both degrees so you don't have to repeat it. so its the same time as a combined degree too... and combined degrees have a lot higher uai... so combined degrees are just weird. lol

santaslayer

HSC
combined degrees aint wierd, actually, quite sort after by employers in the workplace! eg.

BComm=3years
LLB=3years
total= 6 years (if u were doing them seperatley)

or, alternatively,

BComm/LLB= 5 years, thuis reducing time

and having one year of credits? that really comes down to how different both degrees are or how similar they would be!

MrA

do u do the same number of credit points for the double degree as opposed to the 2 single degrees?

santaslayer

HSC
no i dont think so.for me
BComm... 54cpz
whilst LLB is 60cpz.......the major part of the combined degree..that being said, u can still use either, or both degree for ur chosen career path

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Combined Courses = Double Degrees
This is where you study in two seperate fields (eg Arts and Laws) in order to earn two full degrees, one for both. You may receive two testamurs. They may take up to two years less to complete than if you had studied them consecutively (as double degree programs tend to require less subjects/credit points for the award of a full degree).

Double Major
This occurs when you are studying for a single degree (eg B Science) and would like to undertake Major studies (ie focus your subjects) towards two areas within the same field. In Science this could be in Physics and Chemistry. Both will appear on the testamur as "B Science in Physics and Chemistry". Areas studied must be from within your own faculty (ie Science for the above example). For exeptions (USyd) to this definition see below.

Single Major, Two Minors
If you would like only one major you will generally take two Minors. These don't have to be within the scope of your own faculty, but they don't count for as much as a second Major. An example would be a B Science in Biotechnology with Minors in French and Chemistry. Here the student is majoring in Biotechnology, so "B Science in Biotechnology" will appear on his/her testamur. His two minor studies will also appear, but not as part of the degree. Your studies in the minors will be recorded but not noteworthy to employers (unless you are applying for a job where the minor is relevant, as it shows the employer you have a pre-existing interest in the area).

Last edited:

santaslayer

HSC
yea at usyd it just means ur studying more in depth on that particular major.........as stated in my previous post

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Lexicographer
Oh really? Wow, I was always led to believe the term was standardised...
I think CSU also uses Double Major for the indepth study bit. Dont quote me on that though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)