what's the difference between int studies & global studies? (1 Viewer)

lexonfire

HSC
yeahh i'm an 07-er so i gotta ask this question

i know that global studies is a new course though and so i don't know if many people will know the answer to this question. of course i'll be checking out usyd on the open day but this is just to gain some closure...

global studies i'm aware u gotta study a language and a particular region... i'm thinking it's more humanities based but am i wrong? what about international studies... is that more... politically based?

bustinjustin

HSC
Since it's administered by the Economics & Business Faculty, yeah, there would be a greater economic and political focus, as the core units are in Government and Political Economy (don't fear, Political Economy isn't as mathematical and scientific as 'Economics', it's a more historical/sociological, etc approach to the study of economic issues such as inequality, underdevelopment, uneven development and trade, and plenty more). So yes, B. Int studies is more social sciences than humanities.

However, the B. Int Studies may be 'moving' to the Arts Faculty. Unfortunately, no one is sure at this stage.

In the meantime, compare and contrast the course requirements, as they both seem fairly stringent, and decide if you want to learn about Government/politics and economic issues (if so, it seems the B. Int. studies would let you go into greater depth with those subjects, between the two degrees).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)