What's the most difficult book you've ever read (or tried to)? (Lacan, Joyce, etc) (1 Viewer)

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
Hunting the Wild Pineapple
-Its Boring
-It makes no sense
-Everyone else understands it bar me
-The teacher expects everyone to understand cause the class is full of A+++++ School Captains
-Its a dumb story, or sounds like a dumb story, cause it makes no sense!!

Further Mathmatics Units 3+4
Im not even going to bother about this one

bawd

HSC
Re: What's the most difficult book you've ever read (or tried to)? (Lacan, Joyce, etc

Gillard's Hair said:
THE BIBLE.

srzy.
"...And God said, Let there be light: and there was light." :mad1:

The hardest novel for me to read was One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey. The psychotic, stream-of-consciousness-style was just extremely overwhelming for the Year 10 me. Maybe I should go borrow it and try again? :)

u-borat

Banned
HSC
Re: What's the most difficult book you've ever read (or tried to)? (Lacan, Joyce, etc

Rhanoct said:
Heart of Darkness was pretty difficult to understand at first, but, damn, it's a fucking amazing book.
slap yourself silly, you pretentious loser.

catherinet

HSC
A Sigmund Freud "reader" book.
It was a pain to read so i just returned it

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC

bawd said:
"...And God said, Let there be light: and there was light." :mad1:

The hardest novel for me to read was One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey. The psychotic, stream-of-consciousness-style was just extremely overwhelming for the Year 10 me. Maybe I should go borrow it and try again? :)
that was my first text for yr 11, hatred it. sent me to sleep many times trying to read it.

Gauss

HSC
N/A
i would have to say a brave new world.

but then again i tried to read it in 4th grade.....i found the first chapter quite arbitary....

and u-borat........what is wrong with the heart of darkness it is excellent

u-borat

Banned
HSC
its very well written, but unless you think watching paint dry is engaging, heart of darkness is a ridiculously boring book.

aeiss

HSC
war&peace, by trotsky
should give it another go, it's been a year, maybe i can push through the boring bits

something happened, by joseph heller (same bloke who wrote catch-22. i loved catch-22, hence me acquiring this book)

its just.. so mundane. i suppose if i perservere through the initial stages, 'something [will] happen', but until then, blergh. have tried multiple times, usually resulting in me putting the book down and forgetting about it. sighsighisgh

Tammi105

HSC
The color purple by Alice Walker. My yr 11 book to study but to understand it took too long for even the teachers!!!

EchoRyvre

HSC

Warragamba Dam - Red Morgan

Red Morgan was a worker on the Dam, and although enlightening, the book was very hard to read ... I didn't mind the excessive colloquial language so much, but the way in which it was written ... 2 weeks to read a 300 or so page book :O

But ah well, he doesn't have a literature degree, now, does he?

I never finished Heart of Darkness ... I do have my own copy and I might try to read it again ... but you've got to think of the context. The way people wrote in the late 1800's and early 1900's was very formal ... I found Brave New World hard to start, but once I got past the first three chapters or so and things start to develop I found it easier, although not as easy as reading John Marsden ... Now he's an author who can get the sentences flowing.

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

gabrielleh said:
Heart Of Darkness: Had to do it for Eng Ad. this year. I gave up after the first chapter :)
LoTR: I attempted it, but it was to boring, when you could just watch the movies xD

These are the most memorable atm :)
If those are hard, then we're doomed as a society.

housah0lic

Dr Greenthumb
HSC

lord of the rings also

i was 11 or 12

have hated the series since

monesh

HSC

i dont know about u guys, but Salingers Catcher in The Rye was annoying + depressing...

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC

Liberal Fascism: The Secret History of the American Left, From Mussolini to the Politics of Meaning

by Jonah Goldberg

it was a fucking difficult read. never ended up reading it.....its like i needed a dictionary with me.

any1 wants to buy it from me. its still in brand new condition. lol

Last edited:

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC

gabrielleh said:
There not hard to understand, but boring. I couldn't be bothered to waste my time reading something that wasn't enjoyable.
The thread question is what's the most difficult book you've ever read, not the most boring.

Duh.

E

Empyrean444

Dante's Divine Comedy. But well worth it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)