Whats the point with stat170 (1 Viewer)

rcr4fags

HSC
N/A
u will never need to apply any statistic in real life unless your a statistician or into research.

but stats is everywhere and being aware of it is very important.

just open up the newspaper, every article has a stat in it somewhere.

HSC
tbh i think stat 170 is gonna be boring and dull. i could've have chosen it but i chose to do another science unit instead.

atreus

HSC
It's pretty basic stats, and if you really know your stuff or just get it, will be one of the easiest subjects you do.

rcr4fags

HSC
N/A
a high proportion get very high marks, HD's coz mathematically it is very very easy.

yet many people just dont get it, and also a high proportion also fail.

this despite it being an open book exam

hmmm "proportions"... now u see why you need stats

Last edited:

Begbie4017

HSC
I suppose it depends what degree you do.
For psychology based units it is invaluable because you are expected to know how studies were performed,to calculate your own statistics in studies and to critique other studies..

rusty91

HSC
whats the point of doing statistics if we arent gonna utilise them in our jobs especially what im doing, environmental science. even worse is that i have to do it as an evening due to timetabling in 2nd semester. This sucks hard

Alvik

HSC
Not really keen for this unit.

I reckon I'll just end up skipping most the lectures

rcr4fags

HSC
N/A
whats the point of doing statistics if we arent gonna utilise them in our jobs especially what im doing, environmental science. even worse is that i have to do it as an evening due to timetabling in 2nd semester. This sucks hard
u really fail.

i can think of millions of reasons why statistics is essential for a career in envirometal science.

Begbie4017

HSC
The point of Stat170 (now that I've thought about it more)
is ultimately to learn how to test if a result is significant within a population.
I dont study environmental science but Im just guessing.Say that a percentage of fish are dead in a lake . You may need to know whether or not this is important (significant) or not ..and the way you figure it out is using statistical analysis --that you learn in stat170..

you will need to know if there is a strong or weak correlation between the fish deaths or not to know what action to take..You will also read other environmental scientists research that have similar problems & see if their treatments were effective they may have made miscalculations or missed something you will need to be able to pick that up because if you follow their advice it could cause more harm..

Anyway you may not have anything to do with fish but thats all I could think of.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)