What's your critical response about? (1 Viewer)

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
I had to do a critical essay on "A Streetcar Named Desire"
and all I basically did was talk about the themes and symbolism....nothing too exciting.

The Kill Bill thing I'm talking about was an essay I did on "Revenge" and I compared a short story with KB and wrote about how one common theme can be told in different ways.
But that essay was done ages ago.

Cicciolina

HSC
Everyone's sounds really interesting. I wish I did something on pop culture! I'm doing a comparative study on Wordsworth's Prelude :S and Robert Lowell's Life Studies.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
everyone's does sound interesting!

i was having a bit of a sucky moment about my mw topic. So i went to my mum (she always gives me fantastic feedback - makes me feel good about myself), and so I said to her, "Mum, everyone's doing exciting topics and mines boooooooooring!"

her reply was:

"of course it's boring, honey. The topic is very boring...but it's good!"

(not the response I was expecting!)

winicat

HSC
hello crazy EE2 peoples of the world!!!! i am doing (*cough* "doing") a critique of john marsden's youth-based works looking at graphic detail, adolescent portrayal and the opinions of others (regarding his stuff). i'm not writing an essay (well, trying not to lol) but an "article" cause i figured i'm sick to death of essays. it's somehow linked through the areas of study (both 11 and 12).
do any of you actually use your mentors? what do you do in class? our's are sooo boring! we sit around and "write" in our journals. it's totally stupid that we actually have to have a class for it...
reading all of your ideas i've actually seen how incredibly GEEKY mine is (but not compared to some of my friends so that makes it a tiny bit better... ???)
i'll go now...

Cicciolina

HSC
Originally posted by winicat
i'm not writing an essay (well, trying not to lol) but an "article" cause i figured i'm sick to death of essays. it's somehow linked through the areas of study (both 11 and 12).
reading all of your ideas i've actually seen how incredibly GEEKY mine is (but not compared to some of my friends so that makes it a tiny bit better... ???)
i'll go now...
I think yours sounds interesting, I think my topic is really truly, incredibly 'geeky' :p Whenever I tell anyone what I'm doing I get a really blank stare and they go "and.... you chose this voluntarily!?!?!"

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
Originally posted by Cicciolina
I think yours sounds interesting, I think my topic is really truly, incredibly 'geeky' :p Whenever I tell anyone what I'm doing I get a really blank stare and they go "and.... you chose this voluntarily!?!?!"
lol people give me the blank stare and say "you chose this voluntarily" when I tell them I'm doing 4 units of english. lol Ahh, I love it.

Winicat, we just sit and write in our journals as well. lol We have the best lessons. We spend WAY too much time talking though.

winicat

HSC
Originally posted by grk_styl
we just sit and write in our journals as well. lol We have the best lessons. We spend WAY too much time talking though.
i think there's only so much time i can spend in an early morning class sitting around doing nothing cause everyone else is actually doing stuff. gug. i mean sure, i enjoy it and all, but i have to go to school early for it and then i don't have a class straight after it so it's a bit stupid.
we have about 4 or 5 people in my class (there are 20 poeple all up - i think) and we just sleep basically - or i do LOL. it is one of the most boring and pointless classes but i have to be there. blah! i'm done blabbing.
oh! and whoever's dojng the one on CHarmed, good idea and OMG PLOT TWIST WITH CHRIS!!!! (sorry, got excited there...)

aud

HSC
Originally posted by winicat
oh! and whoever's dojng the one on CHarmed, good idea and OMG PLOT TWIST WITH CHRIS!!!! (sorry, got excited there...)
Hmm...? That'd be me... thanks... plot twist with Chris? *confused* *thinks... thinks harder...* Actually, Chris barely gets a mention, he's not really part of my piece, unless this Midnight Rendezvous sex set up thing has an interesting twist... ooh~! Plot twist~! I so get it now :D

kapeche

ok so is anyone doing anything like mine??
im doing a crit on postcolonialism.. i have no idea what my argument is yet... not sure how to form it too! i feel like im the only one who has no clue... argh

im using these texts: the god of small things (arundhati roy)
a house for mr biswas (vs naipaul)

anyone have any helpful hints, ideas... know anything about either of the texts?! i cant get ne help from our supervising teachers... and a house for mr biswas i couldnt find anything on it at all!
:(

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
sounds great Kapeche! A bit of a helpful hint would be to decide on a direction or focus question before u begin to write..or during..coz it's very hard to focus on one aspect without having a focus. lol Sounds easy, but it's not.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
yeah i only just recently reallly decided my thesis and now it's much easier to write : )

winicat

HSC
i changed my idea slightly, it was way too broad and totally too hard to write. now it's "Every journey begins with a single step: an exploration of the use of inner journey in the works by john marsden" or something to that extent. i'm going to look at 'so much to tell you', 'take my word for it', 'checkers' and 'winter'. i'm also going to refer to 'tomorrow' series, 'dear miffy' and 'letters from the inside'. reason i'm doing those ones is because they all (except 'winter') use a journal type format and that's going to be the big part of my whole inner journey thing. so there you go! tee dah! now i just have to start writing .... *groan* and we have our second viva voce next week where we have to read 3 minutes of our draft!!! ARGH!!! thank goodness for the long weekend heh heh

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
i think you're still trying to do too much. narrow it down to maybe four texts.

edit: and by four i meant 2-3. :p

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
omg!

I know this isn't a critical response topic, but no one is talking in my post...anyway..

I got my Emma/Clueless draft back from my *cough* teacher and he hated it!

The criteria clearly says to "compare and contrast two texts from different textual meanings"
No where does it say "talk solely about themes and do a lame ass band 1 into/conlusion!"

It's hard to explain but I did my comparisons about sexuality, marriage, society and the techniques...but nooooo I can't do that apparently!!!

This teacher is more arrogant than me!!!

I've vented my anger...I can go now.
(btw - this is TAFE I'm talking about not highschool)

winicat

HSC
Originally posted by glycerine
i think you're still trying to do too much. narrow it down to maybe four texts.
edit: and by four i meant 2-3. :p
i don't know if i really got across what i meant. i was trying to say that i was just going to look in-depth at 'so much to tell you', 'take my word for it', 'checkers' and 'winter' but then just say that these aren't the only ones blah blah blah this technique is also seen in this book blah blah kind of references to the other books. not that i was going to look at all of them in-depth.
but now i think about it, maybe it would be better not to look at 'winter' as it doesn't use the journal idea which was the whole point of my arguement! hmm... this needs more thought... (in fact, i think that is my favourite phrase in my EE2 journal lol that and "i aim to do..." and never do what i aim to do lol)
total side track here BUT i remember in my proposal saying i'd have my first draft finished by the end of the summer holidays and we've got something like 2 months until it's due and i still haven't really written anything lol i'm such a dag.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
oh i'm exactly the same don't worry. i'm on to my 2nd draft but technically i never actually finished the first one.

yeah i know your pain though. i'm doing adolescent sexuality in buffy, and there's soo much i want to do and so many cross-themes with angel that would complement my argument perfectly but in the end it's all about prioritising what will support your argument exactly and everything else is available if you have the word limit left to cover it. :p

GRIMM

Originally posted by vicchick_007
Mine is on "the fairytale as art form and portrait of man" where im going to specifically discuss the tale of cinderella.
God im obsessed!
I have photocopying of folklore studies that literally come up to my knee. Green peace is going to kill me!
I have written next to nothing. I tried the other day and all i got was "Cinderella is cool... Cinderella is very cool".
Vivia voce tomorrow. Joy!
hay! i'm doing my crit. response on 'cinderlad' and such folk tales as aladdin, ali babe etc. they call them the stories of the Arabian Nights. i'm basically looking at how gender is portrayed in this tales...thats y i was so interested in yours vicchick_007! becuase its sort of the opposite of what i'm doing for mine....so what exactly are you writing about? and are u doin gender expectations in the folk tales as well?

aud

HSC
Hey glycerine, why is it that I can always find so much stuff on Buffy and Xena, but never Charmed? I'm reading all this stuff on Buffy and her feminist girl-power, and sucking up ideas, but seriously... so much Buffy, not enough Charmed~!

vicchick_007

Eternal student
HSC
Originally posted by GRIMM
hay! i'm doing my crit. response on 'cinderlad' and such folk tales as aladdin, ali babe etc. they call them the stories of the Arabian Nights. i'm basically looking at how gender is portrayed in this tales...thats y i was so interested in yours vicchick_007! becuase its sort of the opposite of what i'm doing for mine....so what exactly are you writing about? and are u doin gender expectations in the folk tales as well?
wow! that sounds great... and yes, i am doing gender expectations in folk tales. I'm not really the raving feminist, but it is from a feminist perspective. Its more of a sociological study... mmm i duno what it is.. its not going too well... ive lost all motivation.
Whats the research like?

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Originally posted by aud
Hey glycerine, why is it that I can always find so much stuff on Buffy and Xena, but never Charmed? I'm reading all this stuff on Buffy and her feminist girl-power, and sucking up ideas, but seriously... so much Buffy, not enough Charmed~!

well it's because, i think (and i say this not trying to be elitist!) buffy has a lot more intellectual elements to it, plus it has an absolute CULT following (charmed have be/have been popular, but it's nowhere near at the level of buffy's fans). i admit i think charmed at the moment is absolutely shithouse, but it used to have its moments. still, i just don't think it's viewed as an 'intellectual' show like buffy. also, buffy took big steps in the grrl/girl movement (especially when you remember that the concept has been around since 1992), by that i mean it put forward the idea that girls could be tough and feminine. as far as i know, charmed wasn't really a leader in any field (i could be wrong - i don't know that much about it).

of course, looking at it purely as intellectual elitism, that doesn't explain why xena has so much academic info out there ; )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)