when applying for a school (1 Viewer)

drellafemes

HSC
N/A
When applying for a selective school,do they look just at your schools mark? like, is the grades on your report most weighted? because Ive got good extra curricular and leadership stuff :)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
It varies depending on the selective, some care much more about extracurricular and leadership then others.

It can only help really however for selection, you have things to talk about at interviews.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Depends on the selection process of that school:
e.g. The report is more important in schools that DON'T set entrance exams... A good example of this is Sefton...

Here's some estimates of weightings (they are just VERY ROUGH ESTIMATES)

Schools that set entrance exams (e.g. Fort Street, Sydney Tech, Hurlstone, James Ruse, North Sydney Boys, North Sydney Girls, etc.)
Entrance Exams - 50%
Half Yearly + Yearly Report - 40%
Extra Cirriculars + Sporting Achievements - 10%

But yes, as LoveHateSchool said, different schools will treat extra cirriculars differently....
You may ask why extra-cirriculars only weigh around 10% to 20%, this is because we all know that selective schools want academically strong students in the end....
If a guy got all As and another guy got all Bs but has heaps of extra cirriculars, I'd dare say that the guy with all As will still have more preference....

Schools that don't set entrance exams: (E.g. Baulko (Apparently?), Sefton, etc.)
70% Half Yearly and Yearly Reports
30% Extra Cirriculars and Sporting Achievements

Also, what school are you trying out for? This information can allow us to help you even further.

Last edited:

loaves

HSC
In general, all selective schools froth over a good combination of grades + extra-curriculars + leadership. But in the end, your grades are what the school wants you for - to push up their HSC rankings.

drellafemes

HSC
N/A
im applying for sydney boys high school. The reason why I am asking this question is because I am a national sportsmen and do other stuff like music, debating and public speaking

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
im applying for sydney boys high school. The reason why I am asking this question is because I am a national sportsmen and do other stuff like music, debating and public speaking
National Sportsman = Good Preference for Sydney Boys
As long as you have good grades, you will definitely make it as your extra-cirriculars are outstanding!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)