When is it a baby? (2 Viewers)

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Also, just a minor technicality here: many scientists regard symbiotic relationships as being any close relationship between two species, not merely one which is mutually beneficial - commensalism and parasitism are examples of such non-advantageous symbionts. Nevertheless, I must agree with you that a maternal relationship can't really be considered symbiotic, my reasoning instead being that the baby is of the same species as mum (obviously!).
While pregnancy is a very mentally and physically taxing experience, it also comes with great joy and many benefits =)
Well, symbiotic relationships are recognised in humans as well, though these are usually behavioural rather than biological.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
Um, there isn't AFAIK, except biologically (passing on one's genes). Hence why it's a parasitic relationship.
Yeah, that's why I was asking what she considers to be one.

Besides yeah the passing on of an organism's genetic material, pregancy leaves the mother more vulnerable to a myriad of dangers.

emmcyclopedia

HSC
What is a benefit of pregnancy, out of curiousity?
Well, I can't say I'm speaking from experience, but there is a strong surge of oxytocin just after the delivery which is a "feel good" hormone which strengthens feelings of love and closeness in relationships.

erm....mentally, obviously a sense of fulfilment - but again, more subjective and not something everyone may feel.

physically...haha, fat tummies are cool! pregnancy is considered a natural state of existence for a female from a biological perspective, and the more a woman uses her reproductive organs, the healthier they will be (or so I've heard). This prevents problems associated with extensive blood loss from menstruation, but iron deficiency is often still a problem in pregnancy.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Pregnancy can also in many cases be mortally dangerous to the erstwhile mother - see Type III diabetes, blood allergies, etc.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Well, I can't say I'm speaking from experience, but there is a strong surge of oxytocin just after the delivery which is a "feel good" hormone which strengthens feelings of love and closeness in relationships.

erm....mentally, obviously a sense of fulfilment - but again, more subjective and not something everyone may feel.
And oxytocin can also be released when cuddling your partner, having an orgasm, etc.

physically...haha, fat tummies are cool! pregnancy is considered a natural state of existence for a female from a biological perspective, and the more a woman uses her reproductive organs, the healthier they will be (or so I've heard). This prevents problems associated with extensive blood loss from menstruation, but iron deficiency is often still a problem in pregnancy.
Um, please provide a source for this statement.

emmcyclopedia

HSC
Well, symbiotic relationships are recognised in humans as well, though these are usually behavioural rather than biological.
haha, oh so true - thoughts of broke uni students enters my mind...
yes, that's a good point, I was speaking from limited scientific perspective - I was unaware of psychological inclusions until your mentioning it.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC

You're suggesting that pregnancy be used as a way of avoiding heavy menstruation??

And I would like a source for the claim of better health in those who reproduce more often.

edit: b10

emmcyclopedia

HSC
And oxytocin can also be released when cuddling your partner, having an orgasm, etc.
A good point, but is nevertheless beneficial after pregnancy

Um, please provide a source for this statement.
haha...I will when I find it! It's probably not the strongest example there is, but I *think* I read it recently in a magazine from my local health food shop....obviously a highly reputable source...lol.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
haha...I will when I find it! It's probably not the strongest example there is, but I *think* I read it recently in a magazine from my local health food shop....obviously a highly reputable source...lol.
Whereas I just did a quick google search and found a reputable source that states that multiple full-term pregancies can increase your risk of cervical cancer.

Multiple pregnancies: Women who have had many full-term pregnancies have an increased risk of developing cervical cancer. No one really knows why this is true. One theory is this may be because some of the women may have been exposed more to HPV through un-protected sexual contact. Also, studies have pointed to hormonal changes during pregnancy as possibly making women more susceptible to HPV infection or cancer growth. Another thought is that the immune system of pregnant women might be weaker, allowing for HPV infection and cancer growth.
ACS :: What Are the Risk Factors for Cervical Cancer?

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
I would say any positive benefits of the oxytocin released after birth are negated by the pressure put on the body during pregnancy and the care the young requires in its infant stage. Reproduction is a highly stressful thing for an organism to go through.

Kway: you'll prob go through and correct my vastly less extensive knowledge of Biology now :)

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Lol, not really. The point with the oxytocin is that it helps cement the mother/infant bond, which I wouldn't really call a direct benefit of pregnancy (or, more correctly, child birth).

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
Lol, not really. The point with the oxytocin is that it helps cement the mother/infant bond, which I wouldn't really call a direct benefit of pregnancy (or, more correctly, child birth).
Exactly. I don't know why she's claiming it is a benefit.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
I mean, the dangers involved with childbirth itself vastly outweigh the meagre benefit of a brief oxytocin dose.

emmcyclopedia

HSC
Pregnancy can also in many cases be mortally dangerous to the erstwhile mother - see Type III diabetes, blood allergies, etc.
ok, ok! the benefits, while present, are small in comparison to the plethora of terrible disasters that can come from it. but there's obviously something emotionally fulfilling which has kept the human population going!

You're suggesting that pregnancy be used as a way of avoiding heavy menstruation??

And I would like a source for the claim of better health in those who reproduce more often.

edit: b10
NO - not a suggestion, merely an observation.

And it is not an entire claim to better health (as Kwayera pointed out), pregnancy still has many risks and those women who are or have been pregnant do not in any way exhibit better-than-normal health (from what I've heard...)

the point in response to your questions is just that pregnancy is not all bad, and that it has some benefits amid the many possibilities of things going wrong.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
I wouldn't say the possible emotional fufillment gained from having children is what ensures the continuation of the human race. Have you not heard of biological urges? or do you think animals reproduce for their emotional wellbeing?

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
pregnancy still has many risks and those women who are or have been pregnant do not in any way exhibit better-than-normal health (from what I've heard...)
Totally contradicts what you said earlier:

and the more a woman uses her reproductive organs, the healthier they will be (or so I've heard)
Care to make up your mind?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)