Where to go after Medical Science (1 Viewer)

skellyman

HSC
I'm a student in the middle of my first year of BSc (Medical Science) at USYD, and for some reason, I woke up today and felt some sense of regret over my degree choice. Originally my plan was to transfer to diagnostic radiography at the end of my first year, and while i believe that is still an option, i'm just wondering if anyone knows any other career paths with this degree that AREN'T research fields?

I'm just not as interested in the research side as I am with the practical sorta stuff so im just looking for options (other than the one im already working on) to pursue after i finish my degree in medical science, preferably a non-laboratory-research kinda job. Any help is appreciated.

carrotsss

HSC
I have a friend who transferred from medical science to paramedicine and he’s loving it

skellyman

HSC
r u looking to get into medicine?

Sorry! Forgot to mention that I was NOT interested in doing medicine in the original post. I thought that doing the whole song and dance to get become a doctor (medical school, ucat/gamsat, all the extra years of study...) was a bit taxing and in the end not really worth the time.
Not to be rude to medicine students but for my time and money, I prefer to enjoy the practice of medicine from afar haha

I have a friend who transferred from medical science to paramedicine and he’s loving it
Paramedicine is definitely a field of study I hadn't considered until now. Thank you for bringing that up! If anyone else has any more suggestions or has some friends that have made careers post-medical-science, please reply to this post!

nsw..wollongong

HSC
Paramedicine is definitely a field of study I hadn't considered until now. Thank you for bringing that up! If anyone else has any more suggestions or has some friends that have made careers post-medical-science, please reply to this post!
nah i completely see where ur coming from, its def a taxing process (coming from someone who's seen what med students gotta put themselves through)

i know someone who became an assistant to a local physician thru their med sci degree? the salary is not too bad per annum as well
u could also go into health education or sum?

skellyman

HSC
nah i completely see where ur coming from, its def a taxing process (coming from someone who's seen what med students gotta put themselves through)

i know someone who became an assistant to a local physician thru their med sci degree? the salary is not too bad per annum as well
u could also go into health education or sum?
I did also look into assistant work;assistant physician definitely sounds like a viable option. Thank you for bringing this up, as well as that note about the salary :)

I'm not THAT old now, but as I was growing up, I was interested in both teaching and health related subjects, but now I think that if I wanted a career to pursue for the rest of my life, currently, I'd pick a more health related focus. One of my friends is studying a health education degree at Western right now, maybe I'll check in and see how it is? Thank you for the suggestion anyways!

Please continue to add on if you have any more pathways :)

Ksalu

>:))
HSC
There's plenty of fields within the allied health sector that you could consider if you havent already. eg. audiology, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, speech pathology, podiatry...

Last edited:

skellyman

HSC
There's plenty of fields within the allied health sector that you could consider if you havent already. eg. audiology, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, speech pathology, podiatry...

I was a little worried about how I can move to those fields. I feel like medical science will focus too much on the "science" side and then be too distinguished and detached from the medical aspect. Prove me wrong i guess!

Thank you for that list of things as well, it's nice to know these possible allied health pathways that I didn't really consider until now :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)