• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

where would you live (1 Viewer)

doe

HSC
N/A
i need to find a place to stay ideally thats

a) close to uni (or easy to get to, 1 bus or train < 30mins, or 10-20min drive)
b) cheap $250/week for rent
c) close to the city. (idealyy <30 mins by public transport)

i was thinking of moving to north ryde but i really hate that area, its a pretty dead place to live. chatswood is next on the list but its too expensive (overpriced) and ive lived there before and i think i want somewhere not as packed all the time.

im thinking neutral bay/kirabilli now, and i could just walk/bus to nth sydney. and from nth syd get a bus (?) to uni. any other suggestions?

RIZAL

HSC
yeah for shizzle, i've lived in North Ryde for 2 yrs now and it's totally dead. Your only hope of any excitement in Ryde is to live on one of the residential colleges at the uni. It's worth checking them out, and they should be within your price range.

after that i'd say Chatwood is the go....it is packed in the cbd but you miss that sort of thing after living in north ryde for a while..

RIZAL

HSC
yeah i'm on the tambo. we have a few gigs coming up if you wanna 'rock out' with the band.

i heard that u are the bands new bodyguard.... but i think u may be too scary...ur massive traps may scare the fans away...

www.scottpine.tk

back on topic, you could live in Epping which is 5 mins away... they have nightlife too, the sleazalicious 'Tracks'.

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
I can't see how you'd be able to satisfy parts a) and b) of your selection criteria by choosing somewhere around Neutral Bay/Kirribilli.

How about inner west? Strathfield/Burwood area perhaps?

doe

HSC
N/A
neutral bay is surprisingly cheap, its much cheaper than north sydney etc.

inner west is looking likely, mayhap petersham, but i dunno what the commute times would be like. if worse came to worse i could drive to uni. any idea what itd take? petersham is on the same line as epping too, so i could always train and bus it.

thanks for all your replies

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Mosman area , in which im be moving there within a few months ;)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
have you looked at the colleges? i reckon they would be great, and they may book for you too!

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
doe said:
im thinking neutral bay/kirabilli now, and i could just walk/bus to nth sydney. and from nth syd get a bus (?) to uni. any other suggestions?
If u were to come from Nth Syd way u could catch the 290 direct to uni. Otherwise u have to catch a 25x no. bus then change at Longueville Rd to go to MQ.

doe

HSC
N/A
isnt mosman a bit of a mission?

im not keen on the colleges, im too old and the rooms are too small (ive got 5 computers, a set of turntables, stereo etc). i lived on campus in 1999 (not at macuni though) and it was pretty awesome, but now i need the space (and peace!). i have a company now and im thinking a home office would be a good idea, but my accountant tells me i need a room explicitly set aside for the sole purpose of work if i want tax shennanigans, so i need two bedrooms. im gonna try and see if my sister wants to get a 3 bed house in the inner west with me.

doe

HSC
N/A
what about lane cove? whats public transport like around there?

doe

HSC
N/A
epping is in the lead at the mo. gee lane cove road suxx

Sweet_Lemon

Final Sem'
HSC
cheap $250/week for rent
WOW...tat's not cheap....very expensive .... can't afford it...LOL... rather choose stay at home..LOL..

doe

HSC
N/A
yeah it is. sydney is quite expensive all round, but if i wanted to share i could get away with $100 - $120 a week. ive lived in 4 or 5 different places now and never had a place to myself, so its time to give that a shot. epping is a compromise really, its close enough to the city and close enough to uni even though the location isnt particularly salubrious. hopefully being a bit removed from the action will encourage me to do more work too :D

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
doe said:
epping is in the lead at the mo. gee lane cove road suxx
Epping for sho! It's where I live. And I pay very close to that amount for 2 bedrooms. And it's close to everything.

doe

HSC
N/A
maybe you could answer some questions

what is the nightlife like around epping during the week (no joke). i like having somewhere i can wander to and have a few beers and epping rsl seems like it could fill that role, but ive never been to it. i would like an area that has a lot of people early to mid twenties, do many people go to the rsl? i have heard about tracks, it sounds pretty dodgy though.

what is it like getting back from uni if you go out at the uni bar. one thing i dont like about where i live atm is i have to drive to uni so can never really drink at the uni bar.

how long does it take to get to central from epping on the train?

tar

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
tracks and rsl - packed with young ones on wed night

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Hmm nightlife. Okay, Epping's not gonna be like the City, Newtown, etc. But it is better than a lot of places around the area. The hub of acitivity is centred around The Epping Hotel and to a lesser extent the RSL.

iambored is right, Wednesday brings out the young'uns in droves at both places. Tuesdays is trivia at the Epping and Thursday has free standup comedy. (Btw, after renovations, Tracks is now just the dancefloor level at the pub). Pub opens till 3am (Wed to Sat), earlier on Sun-Tue where it's pretty dead. Not sure on RSL times. The RLS attracts an older crowd, except Wednesdays. Not much food wise late at night/early morning, other than the Paradise Diner (a kebab place that's like a rite of passage).

In terms of getting back from the uni bar, the last bus is 12:40ish am. There's 2 an hour after 10pm I think.

Takes roughly 30 mins to Central Station (less if u get an express). There are hourly night buses through the early hours till trains run again.

Lots of restaurants in Epping (3 thai places the last time I checked). Subway opens till 10pm. All in all, a great place for a MQ student to live if you don't want to travel a great length to uni or rely soley on a car.

Last edited:

doe

HSC
N/A
thanks for the info, its a real help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)