Which English ? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I'm really confused about whether i should do english extension or not. I'm not too bad at english and i actually like the subject, but i dont want to screw it, if extension is really hard for an average student to cope with. Should i stick to doing extension ...or just English Advanced?

Basically i dont know what my priority should be, what i would cope better with/ is my level, or what i like doing? coz both r equally important when selecting a subject for the prelim and hsc.

yep. pretty much very confused.

HSC
if youre aiming for a UAI of the high 90s, youre probably not as "average" as you deem yourself to be.

thing is, if you take it up and dont like it, you can drop it.
but its not as easy to do the reverse.

edit: also, you need to do 12 units for prelim. and in your sig you have 11, not counting english ext.

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
How well are you doing this year in English?

If you enjoy English I would say give it a go. You can always drop it later if it doesnt work out.

G

gmail92

how many units are we allowed to do? does it change with different schools?

im kinda in the same position =/ im alright at english, but i dont know which one to do. Im thinking of just english advanced though, since my english isnt that great. Still, I have some time to decide =]

since i got an A in english (barely, 81% and the cutoff was 80). my english teacher said if i want to do it, go for it. but yeh, still undecided :S

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
missmarshmallow said:
I'm really confused about whether i should do english extension or not. I'm not too bad at english and i actually like the subject, but i dont want to screw it, if extension is really hard for an average student to cope with. Should i stick to doing extension ...or just English Advanced?

Basically i dont know what my priority should be, what i would cope better with/ is my level, or what i like doing? coz both r equally important when selecting a subject for the prelim and hsc.

If you like it, do it! You don't know how you well you will perform next year because I can say that a lot of things change by the time when you really start doing your Preliminary subject.

To scaredytiger: your avatar is hawt & I love your sig.

HSC
you have to do at least 12 units for your preliminary. and 10 for your HSC.

you can do more than that, a guy at my school does 15 units - chemistry, D&T, 4u english, 3u maths, music and physics.

you also need 4 subjects in your HSC year.

edit: namu! :shy: thankye mdear.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
scaredytiger said:
havent seen you in a while. isnt it gurren lagann? :uhoh:
I just checked it on Youtube. You are right. She should need to get more covered. :uhoh:

shimmer205

HSC
If you start extension and drop, you have lost nothing. If you don't give it a go, you may regret it later. Just start extension. YOu don't have to keep it all the way through. It is a challenging subject, but I wouldn't be too worried about being overwhelmed.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
missmarshmallow said:

You need to have a minimum of 12 units for your preliminary HSC and according to your signature, you only have 11 units. If you enjoy English and you're performing considerably well in your grade/against your cohort, give it a shot, which will raise your units to 12. If not, how about picking an extra subject with those well scaled subjects? I didn't perform to my peak in English during Year 10, even though I did score high in class tasks, but when it came to exams, I got let down due to my lacking vocabulary and essay technique. That's why I didn't choose Extension English. But since me Engrish has improved considerably well, I should've at least tried it.

Remember, there's no harm in trying, and besides, it's only prelim. You can decide if you wish to not take it anymore during your HSC. So don't stress. Good luck.

jellybelly59

HSC
It really really really depends on how much dedication and passion you have towards english because of the vast amount of texts and indepth analysis you have to put into the subject. If you put in the effort you can get really good marks cause the scaling is good for ext. eng but if your just going to put in a half ass job (which i doubt you would considering your aiming for 98+) then don't do it.

HSC
jellybelly59 said:
It really really really depends on how much dedication and passion you have towards english because of the vast amount of texts and indepth analysis you have to put into the subject. If you put in the effort you can get really good marks cause the scaling is good for ext. eng but if your just going to put in a half ass job (which i doubt you would considering your aiming for 98+) then don't do it.
yeah..even if you don't think your good at it..you should always give it a go if u ahve the passion..i really realy realy like english..not as a subject..but as a language..and all the stuff that comes with..i just like learning literature..all the intricacies of it all are just so great..

particularly i <3 well made sentences.. you know in like really great novels and speeches..

okay ..ill just stop now :hammer:

Cerry

HSC
As people have already said, it's a lot easier to drop down (especially in this case, where you'll have done the work for advanced, anyway) than it is to move up. So if you're considering doing extension, then I'd say go for it.
You do need to consider that there's a lot work of work in it for a 1 unit subject, and a lot of it is essay writing. It's also possible to do really well in extension, and bomb in advanced, because there are some pretty significant differences in the courses and the sort of thing they're based on. If you have trouble developing your own ideas, then you might struggle a bit, because there's a lot emphasis on parroting what your teacher has said, and a lot more on developing your ideas well.

HSC
Thanks to everyone that posted. I really appreciate it.

I guess, i do love english alot. Haha, just because i have an aim for 98+ doesnt mean im particularly good at it. Im considering doing a double degree and obviously depending on what you wanna do in uni, ur gonna havtah have a high UAI.

but as for english extension, i think i'll end up taking it not for scaling but for personal interest. But if im struggling in the first weeks i'll drop it.

ty once agen for all your help and advice. :D

=]

renny 123

HSC
missmarshmallow said:

If you are aiming of a UAI above 98 i would suggest giving it a shot. You can always drop it. It is not particularly hard. class time is usually just discussion. You are just expected in your essays to write to a very high standard.
Overall I think its a great subject ... helps you heaps with advanced english :uhhuh:

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
renny 123 said:
If you are aiming of a UAI above 98 i would suggest giving it a shot. You can always drop it. It is not particularly hard. class time is usually just discussion. You are just expected in your essays to write to a very high standard.
Overall I think its a great subject ... helps you heaps with advanced english :uhhuh:
I would have loved to do extension English but I couldn't. My workload would have busted because of the accelerated Maths course. Maybe I will reconsider it when it comes for the subjects to be put onto the lines but every year the ext I maths and ext I English have been on the same line :( damn.

I love the discussion environment. I'm sure that with the teacher we have next year it will be very much the same because I have her now and she is fantastic and loves to make class discussions all the time... :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)