Which IT Degree(s) should I apply to, & at which University? (1 Viewer)

Which IT Degree(s) should I apply to, & at which University?

• Bachelor of Computing (Networks)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bachelor of Science in Information Systems

• Bachelor of Information and Communications Technology (ICT)

• Total voters

HyZaret

HSC
N/A
Good Morning

Perhaps I'm writing this topic a little early... and should wait until I get my STAT results (sat STAT yesterday). All well!

I am hoping to get into the IT Security field.

Apart from a year's work experience in the field, I have the following Industry Certifications, or will have by the time I start University;
○ MCP
○ MCSA
○ CCNA
○ Security+
○ CCNA Discovery 1
○ CCNA Exploration 1
○ Cisco IT:Essentials

Also, I have done the STAT, and will soon find out in 3 weeks how I went.

Please overview the poll to help me decide which courses I should apply to. I'm currently thinking that the Bachelor of Computing (Networks) at UWS would be the best degree I could apply for, as I can major in Security.

I am aware however that we can have multiple preferences when applying, which is why I've including a Multiple-Choice poll.

Please participate in the poll.

Curiously yours,

Hy Zaret

BTW: My entry would be under 'non-current school leaver' but not under 'mature-age student', which is why I'm only applying at Macquarie & UWS.

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
Networks is probably the most useful for security (besides a security major itself!), especially if you like the technical side of security.

Only do the info sys courses if you don't want too much technical knowledge and would rather be making security policies (or maybe you want to get into social engineering which can be quite interesting) in a company than doing penetration testing, setting up firewall rules, etc.

If you can, try to transfer to unsw which has a new security engineering specialization that should be really good. It's taught by the award winning lecturer richard buckland

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/courses/2009/COMP3441.html
http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/courses/2009/COMP9447.html
http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/courses/2009/COMP9448.html

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Fwiw usyd offers very little in the way of security courses.

HyZaret

HSC
N/A
^Really? I'm surprised, I though USYD was meant to be the best?

Networks is probably the most useful for security (besides a security major itself!), especially if you like the technical side of security.

Only do the info sys courses if you don't want too much technical knowledge and would rather be making security policies (or maybe you want to get into social engineering which can be quite interesting) in a company than doing penetration testing, setting up firewall rules, etc.

If you can, try to transfer to unsw which has a new security engineering specialization that should be really good. It's taught by the award winning lecturer richard buckland

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/courses/2009/COMP3441.html
http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/courses/2009/COMP9447.html
http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/courses/2009/COMP9448.html
Those which you linked seem VERY good, exactly the sort I'd like to undertake.

Didn't know that sort of course structure was available in Australia!

Thanks a heap for pointing it out to me.

I've emailed Richard Buckland directly requesting information.

I'll email the UNSW admission people about which courses I can transfer from (without any lost time), to get into the course by Richard Buckland, that is, if I don't get in initially.

Best Regards,

Hy Zaret

HyZaret

HSC
N/A
Last edited:

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
They're not exactly majors. in fact computer science is a major within science. So you will get a bachelor of science majoring in computer science.

Computer security will be a 'specialization' within computer science. it's a completely new specialization at unsw and by next year it will be officially approved when the first batch of students graduate with that specialization

melaniestrollll

not really a troll
HSC
do arts imo. you'll find it challenging! and you can go to a uni like usyd with all that pretty sandstone :D

HyZaret

HSC
N/A
They're not exactly majors. in fact computer science is a major within science. So you will get a bachelor of science majoring in computer science.

Computer security will be a 'specialization' within computer science. it's a completely new specialization at unsw and by next year it will be officially approved when the first batch of students graduate with that specialization
Hmm... so what are your thoughts on the Security Major offered for the Bachelor of Computing at UWS?

Thanks once again for replying,

Hy Zaret

HyZaret

HSC
N/A
Computer Science @ UNSW & UWS both look very good!

Thoughts?

(I'd like to enter the IT Security Field, currently UWS offers the most Security related subjects in the CompSci Degree)

Curiously Yours,

Hy Zaret

LatK7

HSC
UWS forensics major offers Information Security, Network Security, Computer Security amongst others, which sounds related to what you're after. I have friends who have done those units and they say they're a good starting point for IT security (both theoretical and practical sides).

HyZaret

HSC
N/A
Yes, from what you've written, that Major is exactly the kind of thing I'd be looking for.

Current preferences (top 4);

1. Computer Science, UNSW
2. Computer Science, UWS
3. Science IT, UTS
4. Bachelor of Computing, UWS

However number 3 & number 2 may swap, depending on what I hear from the Professor there (will know by Tuesday)

If you have any suggestions, please tell me of them.

Curiously Yours,

Hy Zaret

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)