Which Laptop to Get? (1 Viewer)

Ajaxx

HSC
N/A
Hey,

Just wondering if I could get some advice on which laptop tp buy.

I'm looking for something new although I was wondering which brand is best with a price range of around ~1000-1200. I was looking at those new Dell laptops as one option although I'm not sure.

Also I was looking at a Mac but I read I wouldn't be able to install games I had on my pc so that kind of rules that out.

Thanks for any help

Annihilist

HSC
Why can't you install games on a Mac? You can run Windows on a Mac if you need Win to play games.

Mac all the way. I've used numerous laptops over the years and nothing is as ergonomic as a Mac. Every other kind of laptop I've used are awful.

But if games are your priority, then probably not. But as I said, you can run Windows on a Mac.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Here's something to consider:

The more powerful the laptop, the less portable it becomes because it's bigger + less battery life.

Eventually, you'll *probably* probably grow out of gaming and regret having a powerful laptop.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Here's something to consider:

The more powerful the laptop, the less portable it becomes because it's bigger + less battery life.

Eventually, you'll *probably* probably grow out of gaming and regret having a powerful laptop.
This, I have a powerful 16" laptop, only has a battery life of 2 hours. End up using my netbook for portability.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I think we're all missing the number one question we should be asking:

What will you be using this laptop for?

Because a laptop I'd recommend you if you say it's for uni, is very different to a laptop I'd recommend to you if you say it's for gaming or something.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I think we're all missing the number one question we should be asking:

What will you be using this laptop for?

Because a laptop I'd recommend you if you say it's for uni, is very different to a laptop I'd recommend to you if you say it's for gaming or something.
True that, but OP implied a bit of gaming.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah gaming was specified.

But tbh, a desktop is better for gaming (100x better) and then get a good laptop for work/uni/school/whatever, spend wisely on both, maybe buy them a little apart, or just get a laptop and a console and not spend (waste) your life on too many games.

Ajaxx

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the responses, and sorry I should have been more clear.

I'll mostly only need it for uni work. I'm not a serious gamer, I don't play much anymore, but occasionally I do play basic games like Rome total war and star wars that I have in disc (which I think I won't be able to install on a mac unless I install something else first?)

Thanks

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Don't get a Mac. Technically you can use Parallels or something similar to emulate Windows & run Windows games inside of although it is a pain. Macs are also overpriced and not easily upgradeable. Macs are for hipster arts kids and people with too much money.

Get any Windows based laptop you like. Any of them (even the $400 ones) will be able to play games like those you listed above today. I'd probably look to spend around 6 to 7 hundread max on a new laptop that will do everything you want. I would recommend something similar to http://www.officeworks.com.au/retai...oks/Computer-Notebooks-and-Laptops/TOC6501301

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Thanks for the responses, and sorry I should have been more clear.

I'll mostly only need it for uni work. I'm not a serious gamer, I don't play much anymore, but occasionally I do play basic games like Rome total war and star wars that I have in disc (which I think I won't be able to install on a mac unless I install something else first?)

Thanks
Uhh, have you considered getting an ultrabook sort of thing just for uni and then getting a better sort of laptop for your mild gaming? Maybe like an all-round laptop you just park at home and use as a desktop?

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
If you go for the laptop with mild gaming get one with atleast a dedicated gpu, even if mediocre. The difference will be brilliant.

As a side note try out Aldi's Medion Akoya range. I had one in HS and was a decent build and the hardware was fairly decent for its price.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
While I do agree with the nice on the Aldi stuff (well I had a P4 which lasted about 4.5 yrs), I don't recommend them. My cousin bought one and it didn't really last long, there are better ones out there.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
I had no idea Aldi even sold computers.

HSC
Uni Grad
Medion Akoya is fucking ghastly, had ours in 09 for a week and the wireless went, 2 weeks it wouldnt turn on at all. Might have just been a bad build but fuck not going near that shit ever again, knew the price was too good to be true.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
lol

With mine (desktop) the psu died within 6 months, fan died, gpu died lol 2/3 were replaced for free by had to do the gpu myself. Their onsite warranty service at the time wa alright though.

JayCakie

HSC
Don't get a Mac. Technically you can use Parallels or something similar to emulate Windows & run Windows games inside of although it is a pain. Macs are also overpriced and not easily upgradeable. Macs are for hipster arts kids and people with too much money.

Get any Windows based laptop you like. Any of them (even the $400 ones) will be able to play games like those you listed above today. I'd probably look to spend around 6 to 7 hundread max on a new laptop that will do everything you want. I would recommend something similar to http://www.officeworks.com.au/retai...oks/Computer-Notebooks-and-Laptops/TOC6501301

Those Hipster Arts kids give Mac a bad name, and sucks how most of the Apple marketing is directed to people like that. Boo. And I know, they are pretty over-priced. But I've compared it other ultrabooks, and they have similar processors and the difference with the price is a couple of hundred dollars. Note: That's a lot of money still considering that they're almost the same in processing, imo.

I really don't recommend a laptop for gaming. Laptop's are not really designed to cater for that unless you want to burn your GPU which will cost money to fix. You can always opt for something like AlienWare. Although, it's not really portable and it's huge. You're so much better off with a PC.

marygoss

HSC
N/A
Mac will suit for you. It supports games. The battery life of Dell is poor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)