Which major? (1 Viewer)

annie_m

HSC
I'm doing the B science/ MND so I need a major in either psyc, biochem, microbiology or physiology. I don't think i'll do psyc because of the stats and essay writing. But I would like to know which of these would involve the least maths and lowest level of difficulty (I need to maintain a credit average to qualify for my masters).

Also, could anyone recommend a second science major to me that they found interesting and not too reliant on maths? Possibly something biology realted. Im considering doing micro along with immunology..or maybe plant bio? thoughts?

Ps how difficult is 2nd year physiology? I have to do it in second year and i'm wondering how much maths/ stats knowledge it requires (did the report and assignment work require much maths and stats?)

LetterNo1

HSC
Uni Grad
hi!

well im doing B sci and B arts...
2nd year phsi isnt that difficult and the only math (in general) is when you are doing the reports they want you to analyse data. which is really not too bad.
if you dont want a major with math why not do anatomy? Im currently doing 2 units of anat and so far so good :D has no math in it at all, just a bit of memorizing names of things.

lawstu

HSC
I don't think i'll do psyc because of the stats and essay writing.
Regardless of how unpleasant things can be, do them. Also, don't avoid doing things due to issues of work ethic (e.g., laziness) or constitution (e.g., fear).

Frankly, stats in PSYC is nothing. The essay writing is a little more substantial, but it's a good training ground for writing, which is increasingly an important skill in the real world.
But I would like to know which of these would involve the least maths and lowest level of difficulty (I need to maintain a credit average to qualify for my masters).
Simply because it's the easier isn't necessarily it's extended you as a student or person, and it's not necessarily going to translate into better grades.

Biochemistry is probably the most relevant to your Master of Nutrition and Dietetics, especially if you do a lab-based, as opposed to that other type, project. Biochemistry, you should know, involved quite a bit of arithmetic (e.g., for dilution factors).
Also, could anyone recommend a second science major to me that they found interesting and not too reliant on maths? Possibly something biology realted. Im considering doing micro along with immunology..or maybe plant bio? thoughts?
Immunobiology is in fact quite similar to biochemistry and involved mathematics. It is also conceptually quite difficult to most.
Ps how difficult is 2nd year physiology? I have to do it in second year and i'm wondering how much maths/ stats knowledge it requires (did the report and assignment work require much maths and stats?)
Physiology does not really require much mathematics, but some is necessary for the labs. You will also need to remember certain statistics for, say, ion channel physiology and stuff like that.

Microbiology does not require too much mathematics. Neither does anatomy or histology.

Do anything really, as none of the maths that you come by is really that rigorous.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)