Which of these songs would/would not be "okay" to do for HSC performance? (1 Viewer)

OptimusRhyme

HSC
So I'm sort of tossing up between a few songs at the moment, and was wondering which you would suggest.
I'm a guitarist and singer, I'm not so sure if I'll sing though - how does that work?
Does it get marked as a whole, or does the vocals just sort of 'complement' the guitar? Anyway;

I'll Kill Her - SoKo
Sprout and the Bean (transcribed to guitar) - Joanna Newsom [guitar+vocals]
Cigarette Smoke - Arctic Monkeys [guitar+vocals]
This is the Way - Devendra Banhart
The Body Breaks - Devendra Banhart
Money (solo only) - Pink Floyd
I Am One - The Smashing Pumpkins
Dam That River - Alice in Chains
Lemon Meringue Tie - Dance Gavin Dance
Blackbird - The Beatles
Oblivion - Mastodon
Paranoid Android - Radiohead
Angeles - Elliott Smith
Incinerate - Sonic Youth

I realise there's a lot there, but if a few people could give me their thoughts on which of them would/wouldn't make good pieces, that would be great :)
PS: I'm doing 3 performances (incl. core) and 1 composition.

Thanks!! :D

Last edited:

Dream-Theater

HSC
Money, Blackbird and Oblivion would be good choices I think, but I'm not familiar with all of the other pieces. It's best to ask your teacher about it.

iNegro

HSC
So I'm sort of tossing up between a few songs at the moment, and was wondering which you would suggest.
I'm a guitarist and singer, I'm not so sure if I'll sing though - how does that work?
Does it get marked as a whole, or does the vocals just sort of 'complement' the guitar? Anyway;

I'll Kill Her - SoKo
Sprout and the Bean (transcribed to guitar) - Joanna Newsom [guitar+vocals]
Cigarette Smoke - Arctic Monkeys [guitar+vocals]
This is the Way - Devendra Banhart
The Body Breaks - Devendra Banhart
Money (solo only) - Pink Floyd
I Am One - The Smashing Pumpkins
Dam That River - Alice in Chains
Lemon Meringue Tie - Dance Gavin Dance
Blackbird - The Beatles
Oblivion - Mastodon
Paranoid Android - Radiohead
Angeles - Elliott Smith
Incinerate - Sonic Youth

I realise there's a lot there, but if a few people could give me their thoughts on which of them would/wouldn't make good pieces, that would be great :)
PS: I'm doing 3 performances (incl. core) and 1 composition.

Thanks!! :D

Great Music taste.

I think This is the way would be a good demonstration of vocals and guitar as would Sprout and the Bean (I've heard transcription to guitar before, quite impressive).

Angeles is a pretty amazing song and would probably go down quite well if you could emulate Smith's vocals at all the same emotional and whispery-thin style that he does so well. Smith's got a pretty great catalogue of material too, have you looked at other pieces in comparison with Angeles?

A large problem with Blackbird, is that the examiners have probably heard it a trillion times and chances are that since it's such a well-known song people are going to pick up the smallest errors and compare it to other performances subconsciously.

Paranoid Android
would also go down rather well if excecuted correctly with the right pedals, generally using the wrong effects can make a song like that almost disasterous.

Good luck picking!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)