• Mac OS (any)

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • Other

Votes: 4 8.3%

• Total voters

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
Out of curiosity, which OS(s) do you guys have installed and use on your computers? I dual boot between:

- Windows XP Pro
- Redhat Linux 9
- DOS 7.1 (for those old games that don't work under Windows :D )

If your OS isn't listed then choose other, since there's a limit of 10 poll options available.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
MacOSX on my computer
Windows 98SE/Windows 95 on the family computers
Linux (KDE) at uni

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
Windows 2K3 Server :) Even better than 2K.

Is Mac OSX any good, Macs do look pretty, and also, is there a high learning curve from going from Windows => Mac?

Huy

HSC
N/A
LOL Rahul and the "expenditures".

I'm on Windows XP Professional, Volume-License Media (VLM)
- Staff @UNSW (FCE I think?) get it for free, free, FREE! :p
Corporate edition for IT staff :)

(I also "test" UNSW's norton ghost (for DOS) and UNSW's norton AV corporate 7.61 :D)

I have two win2k machines at home, but i'd say it's an even 50:50 - Windows 2000 vs XP :)

All themes turned off, system tuned for 'performance' (Right click my computer, properties, advanced, performance, system). No bright colours, no 'slow/fancy' animations, fade effects, nada! Just raw speed :D

Last edited:

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
i had win98 but recently upgraaded to xp because its apparently easier to use internet connection sharing. xp gives me the shits with its playful fisherprice feel. the other computers got win2k.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ezzy85
i had win98 but recently upgraaded to xp because its apparently easier to use internet connection sharing. xp gives me the shits with its playful fisherprice feel. the other computers got win2k.
you can always change the theme and settings back to win2k's style :)

right click the desktop, properties
select 'windows classic' (theme)

then you'll avoid the fisher-price feel and kiddy look :)

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by enak
Is Mac OSX any good, Macs do look pretty, and also, is there a high learning curve from going from Windows => Mac?
MacOSX is great! They are v. pretty, much more than boring PC's.

Depending on what kind of user you are determines the learning curve. AS a basic user, you will find it really easy to use a Mac. It's only when you wan't to start tweaking that you to spend some time learning ...

fatmuscle

HSC
freaking Win2k Pro doesn't recognise my USB mouse!!!

linux redhat9, win 98se, me recognise it though!!!

grrrr

any suggestions?

Jesus

Christ
HSC
N/A
2000 is very stable like 98, i havent had a blue screen since i upgrade it from ME, ME sucks noodles..........

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
freaking Win2k Pro doesn't recognise my USB mouse!!!

linux redhat9, win 98se, me recognise it though!!!

grrrr

any suggestions?
What kind of USB mouse have you got? Have you installed the drivers for the mouse? (did the mouse come with Win 2k compatible drivers?). If you don't have any Win 2k drivers for your mouse, then search for some on the web.

If you check in device manager, does the mouse icon have a yellow excalamation mark next to it, or does it not appear at all? If there's a yellow exclamation mark, what error does it give in properties? If it's something like conflicting IRQs, then try changing them around under the "resources" tab.

Finally, have you installed service pack 4 for Windows 2000? If not, then try doing this since I've heard that this fixes a large number of bugs in Windows 2000, in particular USB problems.

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by McLake
MacOSX is great! They are v. pretty, much more than boring PC's.

Depending on what kind of user you are determines the learning curve. AS a basic user, you will find it really easy to use a Mac. It's only when you wan't to start tweaking that you to spend some time learning ...
Sounds good, I was looking at maybe the G5 for home, or a Powerbook for uni etc, but for developing java programs, is a Mac platform still fine if I develop it for windows (yes I know you can just recompile) :)?

I would consider myself somewhere between average and advanced user for windows 2000/xp/2k3 server.

del

HSC
N/A
afaik it shouldn't be a problem... not with java anyway, because it compiles to bytecode... (so you dont need to recompile)

and if you use swing your gui should display properly regardless cos there not tied to the platform then

tt_j65

HSC
a choice between red hat 9, debian or mandrake... when i get around installing linux :p

winXP for now ;)

fatmuscle

HSC
Originally posted by wogboy
What kind of USB mouse have you got? Have you installed the drivers for the mouse? (did the mouse come with Win 2k compatible drivers?). If you don't have any Win 2k drivers for your mouse, then search for some on the web.

If you check in device manager, does the mouse icon have a yellow excalamation mark next to it, or does it not appear at all? If there's a yellow exclamation mark, what error does it give in properties? If it's something like conflicting IRQs, then try changing them around under the "resources" tab.

Finally, have you installed service pack 4 for Windows 2000? If not, then try doing this since I've heard that this fixes a large number of bugs in Windows 2000, in particular USB problems.
rofl!
SERVICE PACKS!!!

duh!!!

stupid me

Soliah

WinXP.

I intend on getting into a bit of Linux through "Linux From Scratch".
http://www.au.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/intro.shtml

The most important reason for LFS's existence is teaching people how a Linux system works internally. Building an LFS system teaches you about all that makes Linux tick, how things work together, and depend on each other. And most importantly, how to customize it to your own taste and needs.
When I have another computer to try this out on, I'm gonna give it a shot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)