Which Selective School? (2 Viewers)

johony

HSC
There are no dumb people per se, but there are people that really dont try or dont care and dont do anything at all and get shit UAIs, last year our lowest was 59. Do note that this was an outlier, and every other UAI was in the 90s.
wow, that is some outlier..

bet they didn't turn up to the UAI announcement party you guys probably have

kickass91

HSC
with credits and distinctions, if you are dux at school and u have shitloads of extra curricular activities or u are state/national level at someting then apply for ruse

if not.
1. nsb
2. girra
3. caringbah
4. ryde secondary

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
My lord are you that ignorant?
How would you have any idea how a public school fares against a private school competition that can afford to pump 2 mil into each sport every year?
We came third in basketball this year, smoke volleyball every single year
soccer, is okay -- mid level while sure, rugby and rowing we traditionally arent as good, but that is because we are sport scholars. trust me, every boy that comes out of high has a future
am i ignorant? no, i've been part of both the private and public system, and i have family involved in these schools so i am pretty aware. lol. 2 mil. likely.

and honestly, what kind of sport is volleyball for a boys' school anyway.

i was actually talking about rugby specifically. i have a friend in the 1sts in your school, so i do know how they go and yeah....

also, calm down, people are allowed to have fun, pay the shit out of my school as much as you'd like!

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
It's essentially the "survival of the fittest" in selective schools. I know a few friends that go to these top schools, especially one of them that goes to Baulhko. He always tells me that "I'm so damn lucky to go to a school that is easier to get top ranks in". Whinging about the competition and studying completely overwhelms him and shatters his self esteem and confidence.

Although the competition can be taken to your advantage and you can make friends that have similar goals in the future, I've personally realised that it's best to go to your nearest school (private, public, selective - even though it seems contradictory from above). In the end, you can go to a public school with more freedom, do well academically, in extra curricular and receive a high result without the major stress and competition that occurs in a few selective schools.

Besides, I know people who are really shit that got in, thanks to tuition and preparation courses. Their parents pushed them since they were at a young age through several tuition colleges. So it rigs the system in terms of "academically gifted".

To OP: Try out for the top school. If you don't get in, don't have a sook. When the HSC begins, ace all of your exams. That is all.

Last edited:

Amogh

HSC
N/A
with credits and distinctions, if you are dux at school and u have shitloads of extra curricular activities or u are state/national level at someting then apply for ruse

if not.
1. nsb
2. girra
3. caringbah
4. ryde secondary
i sent in my application with this order:
1. caringbah
2. girra
3. fort street
4. nsb

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
But in the end - it's not necessarily the teachers that make a difference - it's the students themselves. That's why you get people getting 59 at Ruse, and others getting 100.00 at Smiths Hill.

Amogh

HSC
N/A
unlikely. median UAI is over 99.
we all know what the school is about.. any student who somehow blundered their way in without deserving it would probably be 'encouraged to pursue alternative educational paths'
WOH
median of 99
i never knew ruse was THAT good

HSC
Sydney Boys Sports SUmmer Results :

Basketball : 3rd
Cricket : 3rd
Rowing : 8th
Tennis : (unknown to me)
Volleyball : 1st

Winter:

Soccer is decent we won our first game against SHORE 2-1
Rugby ... to tell u the truth if u can paly rugby join our schoool
pretty much auto entry
Fencing. WTF?

Educationwise

Maths department by far the best, with 120 kids who do 4U maths. (More than those ruse kids :p)
Most other departments are quite decent, but it is essential that you put the effort in :D.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Just thought I'd point out that there are less Ruse kids doing MX2 cause their school doesn't let them. :p

kickass91

HSC
exactly

not all kids are allowed to do 3u maths either

if ppl had the choice ruse would have 167 doing 4u maths

TearsOfFire

HSC
N/A
Sydney Boys Sports SUmmer Results :

Basketball : 3rd
Cricket : 3rd
Rowing : 8th
Tennis : (unknown to me)
Volleyball : 1st

Winter:

Soccer is decent we won our first game against SHORE 2-1
Rugby ... to tell u the truth if u can paly rugby join our schoool
pretty much auto entry
Fencing. WTF?

Educationwise

Maths department by far the best, with 120 kids who do 4U maths. (More than those ruse kids :p)
Most other departments are quite decent, but it is essential that you put the effort in :D.
Tennis was either 7th or 8th. Few years ago we actually came first in it.

Maths is definitely the best department - awesome teachers (on a whole); 120 kids and an average of 70 ish band sixes. Can't compare it to the number of 4 u kids at ruse, but our exams are of similiar difficulty, if not harder then Ruse's exams.

english is pretty terrible (some excellent teachers though and department getting better), and science department is lazy (but 2 - 3 excellent teachers), similiar story for social sciences.

Really, its the hard work students put in themselves, as aerath pointed out, school doesn't really matter. In saying that though, High is a good school if you do ordinary academically but have a talent in sport.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
wow, that is some outlier..

bet they didn't turn up to the UAI announcement party you guys probably have
We do not have a UAI Party, rather there's a Year 12 BBQ at the end of the year however I believe this is before the HSC results come out. Year 11s cook the BBQ. Also if people had the choice no Ruse would not have 166* kids doing 4U Maths. There are people that don't want to do Maths, people that want to do only 2U Maths and people that want to do 3U maths. In fact really only 10 people or so miss out on 4U Maths and they really really want it. Though after Year 11 half yearly they know what rank they are and whether this is good enough for 4U maths. We only have ~5 or 6 4U teachers, so there are only 4 4U classes. The next 3 are 3U clases and the last class is 2U. Unless you fail, Ruse can't make you do anything. In fact one of my mates failed Maths last year and this year he's doing more than just passing 3U. he had to take 14 units at the start just in case, but still. 4U English is harder, you have to get invited to do it, you can't choose to do it.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
lolz, English is always invited - at my school that is :D 4U Maths depends on demand

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
It's essentially the "survival of the fittest" in selective schools. I know a few friends that go to these top schools, especially one of them that goes to Baulhko. He always tells me that "I'm so damn lucky to go to a school that is easier to get top ranks in". Whinging about the competition and studying completely overwhelms him and shatters his self esteem and confidence.

Although the competition can be taken to your advantage and you can make friends that have similar goals in the future, I've personally realised that it's best to go to your nearest school (private, public, selective - even though it seems contradictory from above). In the end, you can go to a public school with more freedom, do well academically, in extra curricular and receive a high result without the major stress and competition that occurs in a few selective schools.

Besides, I know people who are really shit that got in, thanks to tuition and preparation courses. Their parents pushed them since they were at a young age through several tuition colleges. So it rigs the system in terms of "academically gifted".

To OP: Try out for the top school. If you don't get in, don't have a sook. When the HSC begins, ace all of your exams. That is all.
Who's OP?

Amogh

HSC
N/A
awrite just sent in the all apps today
what about you guys?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Are the applications due today? Which schools did you apply to?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)