Which subject scales the highest of them all? (1 Viewer)

Protract

HSC
I just want to know, out of curiousity, not because I want to do it. Is it Maths Extension 2, but I heard some languages like Classical Greek Extension scale even better and Latin Extension. I'm just asking this out of interest, so please don't assume that I'm picking subjects based on scaling; I'm just interested to find out.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Just look at table A3, it's normally like Latin or Ancient Greek Extension, and MX2 is always right up there too.

Protract

HSC
They don't offer Classical Greek Extension at my school. Is it a 1 unit course or 2 unit?

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Re: Which subject scales the highest of them all?,,,,,,,

MX2 scales the best. All the extension languages that scale high tend to fluctuate a little bit depending on the marks of the people who do that language.

MX2 is generally the most stable subject with the highest scaled mean but can be "outscaled" by some languages if that cohort does extremely good.

Protract

HSC

Who knows anyone who does English Ext 2, Mathematics Ext 2, Latin Ext and Classical Greek Extension?? I cannot imagine how that person would cope. LOL

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

The subject that scales the highest depends from year to year though MX2 is generally seen to be the most stable and most consistently high scaled subject.

Languages can sometimes eclipse it though.

muzeikchun852

HSC
Who knows anyone who does English Ext 2, Mathematics Ext 2, Latin Ext and Classical Greek Extension?? I cannot imagine how that person would cope. LOL
I know a person who does:
- 3u english, 4u maths, 3u indonesian, economics.
- 2u english, 4u maths, 3u latin, 3u japanese.

HSC
Generally Ext2...as above sometimes the Latin/Classical Greek/Hebrews outscale it but...the problem is - those extensions are only 1 unit. Only 1 nice unit of scaled marks. Whereas with Ext2, there are 2 units of scaled marks, along with your ext1 DOUBLING! without any further work! So it ends up being 4 units of nice scaled marks - which DEFINITELY eclipses only 1 unit of nice scaled marks. Of course if you did a combination, then yeah.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
^I never knew that they did that to get 4u of marks out of only Ex 1 and Ex2 exam!!! Argh I might be doing maths ext if I knew the scaling was compounded.
How do they do it with 3U may I ask?

Oh and Protract, I know someone who did two language extensions, 4u english and 3u maths. So not quite the combo you mentioned but close.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
^I never knew that they did that to get 4u of marks out of only Ex 1 and Ex2 exam!!! Argh I might be doing maths ext if I knew the scaling was compounded.
How do they do it with 3U may I ask?

Oh and Protract, I know someone who did two language extensions, 4u english and 3u maths. So not quite the combo you mentioned but close.
With 3u your mathematics(2unit) mark is worth 2units and your ext 1 mark is worth 1unit.

erob

HSC
Uni Grad
Classical Greek Extension scales higher than 4U Maths.

anne1010

HSC
the highest scaling 2 unit subject is music 2 and then chem (excluding 4u being counted as 2 units)
as for 1 unit subjects, what people said ^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)