Which Uni? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey,
I should be studying for my trials, but hell, i love procrastination!!! ;)
Anyway, I'm interested in doing COmmerce/Business/and something ie law or arts next year...which uni is best you reckon and why? If I were to do arts, i would probably do a language or something, um....assume my UAI is high enough for everything even law!
Any ideas?
Oh well, I hear some dead Romans calling my name... :read:

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Well UTS offers 2 combined degrees that you may wish to look into:

Bachelor of Business/Bachelor of Laws which lets you do the Business degree with 1 major (ie. Accounting or Finance) and a full Law degree.

Bachelor of Business/Bachelor of Arts in International Studies which lets you do the Business degree with 1 major (ie. Accounting or Finance) and study a particular language and travel overseas to that country as well.

Details for both degrees can be found in the Faculty of Business handbook at: http://www.uts.edu.au/div/publications/bus/ .

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
newcastle, coz it rocks and is simply the best!!! ;)

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
jezzmo said:
macquarie, because not to spoil a trend, we're all going to nominate the university we go to :)
Easy to get in, hard to get out etc.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
jezzmo said:
macquarie, because not to spoil a trend, we're all going to nominate the university we go to :)
dont for the love of god do what i did and get a uai of 86 and get into the B arts.

STUPIDEST THING EVAR

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Please try to give some meaningful advice like Jase? :)

There's nothing more I can say for UTS though...

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
hmm .. with unis..
u have to consider which recognitions are industry approved and their industry-body website will help u the most by showing u the courses.
(in the case of med/dent i went to med council and dental council.. contact body about the institutions accreditation.. i even called the state bodies so that i dun come out with a 'dud' degree)

remember learn wat the course is actualli like.. there are a lot of disgruntled ppl in med and law.. because they didnt kno about wat was involved

how much resources/facilities are there at the uni ?wat is the cost? (not just HECS but things in the course)

how much experience hav they had in teaching that course and structure?
who r their lecturers?

u also have to consider reputation.. but this should be the least of ure worry.. unless there is no industry body regulating... if they are renown for research consider r u goin to be in research...

there is no secrets - just research :D
which uni?.. the one that's right for u..

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
UTS has a good rep for business, and Jase suggested those double degrees which would satisfy more than one area of your interests, plus maybe make you more highly valued by employers.

I heard that for business undergraduate it doesn't matter where you go, is that true?

Don't just pick on prestige, pick on the way the uni makes you feel and whether it suits your personality and things like that.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
i think ure right bout business degrees..
umm one more thing find out wat u benefit from by goin to tat uni.. lik acturial studies in macq uni u auto-qualify for certain parts of the accreditation process

HSC
wow, so many replies...thanks ppl!!!
But how come there are so many replies from UTS ppl...? where's sydney gone?! So am i to assume that Sydney isn't that great for business/commerce? Or just the Sydney people hiding back?
But to give all you people helpful info (which is a hell a lot more useful than my careers adviser who sits on the fence, and says 'do what you want') basically...
a) I am probably interested in some generic major ie accounting/finance since I am not the marketing 'type'...and probably work out what I really want to do later
b) I want to go overseas later, so probably a degree like international studies would be good etc...can u do international business or something like that at Sydney?
c) And for the past few years I have had my heart set on Sydney, although this is now changing due to a variety of reasons (and yes, I still love the grounds, but I'm not choosing a uni on the basis of its grass: concrete ratio!) So people, hit me with the dirt on Sydney
d) What about New South? I can't do a business/international degree there, can I? Which sucks though, cos I'll be in if thats the case!

Anyway, I think I repeated what I said in the first post, but the mod can delete my post if he really wants to......btw I would think carefully if you DARE delete this post Lexicographer *smiles*

Thanks people, and keep hitting me with the dirt on the Unis....and you can diss your friends's uni and say why yours is better!

Last edited:

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Chuck, you know threats don't work on me. :p

Let me just say that everyone at the Fort wants to be at Sydney. After going there every week or so for research, it's already grown on you (hell it even grew on me in year 11) and it's just so fitting to go from Sandstone High School to Sandstone University. But! Looking at it from the other side, USyd isn't everything it seems. You need to look long and hard at the particular course (and by extension, faculty) you want to enter and see if what Sydney (or any other uni, for that matter) is offering what is truly best for you. The best way to do this is to look at the course outlines available in the online handbooks (find them yourself, I'm busy :p) and by talking to the faculty reps (just call them, it's their job to sell degrees to you).

Oh yeah, Phil C is a great careers advisor if you answer his questions truthfully and in detail. He doesn't just have a bank of knowledge, he IS the bank. When he says "what do you want?" it's because he needs to know if you really understand what you want (correct answer - no :)). From there he'll give you details on the options available, to the point that you'll realise just how many there ARE and go away to think more about it. Ask him for specific resources and people to contact, he'll have them out of his magic filing cabinet before you can grab a UAC guide.

Hope this helps. :)

Last edited:

santaslayer

HSC
All you simple minded people. :p

Go UoW for Law. 100% employment rate! Ask any other university if they can confidently provide you with such a statistic.

Such courses you are seeking from UoW:

1) B Commerce/ B Laws
2) B Arts/ B Laws
3) B Commerce/ B Arts

Look, the Law buildings in my siggy! :p :p

Ziff

HSC
N/A
santaslayer said:
All you simple minded people. :p

Go UoW for Law. 100% employment rate! Ask any other university if they can confidently provide you with such a statistic.

Such courses you are seeking from UoW:

1) B Commerce/ B Laws
2) B Arts/ B Laws
3) B Commerce/ B Arts

Look, the Law buildings in my siggy! :p :p
The 100% figure is highly misleading.

Any degree from UOW will probably land you a job as a teacher only :p

P.S. It's not just the Law buildings - it's Education and a food bar as well!

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
I'd check out the "Good Universties Guide" availble at librarys and leading bookstores. They are not affiliated with any universities and provide good advice on which uni is best for each course

D Day

check this out

http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/rank/Top101.pdf and
http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/rank/Top102-500.pdf

it lists academically the top 500 unis, now that's very objective

for australia, no 1 is ANU (but canberra is so lonely), no 2 is Melbourne (too cold!), no 3 is UQLD (surprising, but that's in brisbane) and no 4 is USYD

so if ur looking for the best uni in NSW then its outrightly USYD

besides, u'll love it at usyd

5 = monash, 6 = unsw, 7 = uwa, 8 = adl, 9 = macq, 10 = univ newcastle, 11 = univ tasmania, 12 = univ of north qld, 13 = la trobe

uts doesnt even make the list, not that's its bad, just not recognised overseas

wow, top 8 are the Go8, no coincidence there!

Last edited:

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
haha yeh i go to usyd *waves*
with your question, it depends on what sort of arts subjects you want to do and how much focus you want on them. arts is generally pretty spiffy at usyd but there is obviously a wide range of subjects etc. but if you like your arty farty wank then commerce/arts at usyd seem rather radsome. for commerce i'd go to unsw since they're generally considered the most reputable commerce faculty if you don't mind being flooded by a sea of asians (but then it's like that with most commerce faculties anywhere) and uts seem to rock quite a bit with their courses being practical and very employable.
i don't take any law units so i can't give any personal tips but allowing myself the freedom of making generations i'd say the perception of the law faculties seem to be-

usyd if you want to be a part of the "i bet my list of friends in elite high law-ing positions is longer than yours" club
unsw is made up of either a) boohoo i didn't get into usyd, or b) i'm asian, or c) hey the course is actually kinda cool and employable
uts has the most left wing student society i think, and the course is very practical and a lot of the students secure employment before graduation. however the structure is quite inflexible, you don't get to choose much. and i'd probably prefer to study language/culture at usyd. you get lots of support with the exchange at uts however, they basically don't have agreements with the uni's in the capital cities.

Last edited:

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
D Day said:
5 = monash, 6 = unsw, 7 = uwa, 8 = adl
8th... NOOOooooo oooo oo oooo ooo oo *pause*.. ooooooooooooooo

but srsly?

shouldnt u go based on the course than the uni itself?

i srsly am looking for the good uni guide and cant find it... for my sister
any other ideas? i tried all the local newsagencies
(b4 u crack adel jokes..i was looking for it in NSW :p)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)