Which Uni? (1 Viewer)

D Day

+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
shouldnt u go based on the course than the uni itself?
but if ur doing a combined degree and/or subjects from different faculties, then u need a uni that is good overall.

and, if ur going oversees, they, unfortunately, take into account the uni u go to more than the course u did. so for good overseas job prospects, u must go to one of the Go8, cause these r the unis known overseas

Last edited:

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
No, you need a university that is good in both faculties. "Good overall" is one of those stupid expressions based on the opinions of those who aren't involved - ie those who don't matter. If you go to someone in the field, like an employer, then they will know which universities have the good faculties of interest. The other bits (like the irrelevant faculties and the student associations) are not important. KPMG doesn't care if you've got a dodgy Engineering faculty, they only want to know about the Commerce and Law faculties.

This applies to overseas employers as well, as long as you are looking at large firms or academic positions. Obviously the smaller companies will have less exposure to Australian academic performance, in terms of knowing which uni has the good lawyers, accountants, etc.

And lastly, Go8 does not automatically mean good for you. Imagine this scenario: two students study Nanotechnology (yes I know I'm using my own course, shut up) and get the same grades, but one is UTS and one is USyd. Here's where the Go8 graduate is definitely NOT going to make the cut, because UTS has the international reputation for Nanotechnology whilst USyd has bumpkiss. There are other examples, but I don't have them at hand. The point, I guess, is that you should never make stupid generalisations about prestige because they are just as often WRONG.

Last edited:

D Day

funny hey, but if ur uni was part of the Go8 and world known, i think u would be saying the opposite

Generator

HSC
N/A
D Day said:
funny hey, but if ur uni was part of the Go8 and world known, i think u would be saying the opposite

Known for research or teaching? Being part of the Go8 will not really help someone taking the standard BA, BSc, BCom, BE or BEd (what I see as being the standard degrees), and then, as Lexicographer clearly said, the supposed level of a particular course depends on the faculty (or the school) rather than the university.

Last edited:

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
D Day said:
No. I'm not that petty. Were I in the Go8 I would not be doing Nanotechnology, because Nano@UTS is the best in the region.

D Day

geez, calm down. i was just playing with u.

of course u dont base which uni ur going to with that list. r u crazy?
no that list is just purely for curiosity. it doesnt mean anything.

about international recognition, ur right. i never said ur wrong, especially for ur specific area. but for more general degrees, such as B Com, BA and B Sci, then u should go for the Go8

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Sorry, I have an interest in keeping this thread accurate. I'll try to loosen up a little (thanks for not taking it further). :)

As for things like Commerce, Arts and general Sciences, I agree with you. These are the ultrapopular degrees that gave the reputation to the universities in the first place.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
according to the good uni guides the best teachin unis are the one that do the least research.. from the point of a undergrad..

D Day r u in uni or high school?

D Day

what do u think? i'll tell u in my next reply

but what u were saying, ur right to an extent, but uni is about building research skills (a hell of a lot of research), so teaching staff dont really matter to an employer that much

Last edited:

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
i meant the one that teaches the best.. like conveys knowledge and understanding.. and giving graduates the skills ...

its just the changing nature of employment.. alot of ppl in the workforce now hav a bach...

actualli employers are starting to not care which uni and how many degrees.. alot of the time its ure skills.. cos in the past ppl hav sucked at work even tho they hav lots of qualifications from 'good' unis..
now aptitude test and trial periods are almost standard..

im not sure which u go to.. :)

D Day

yes ur right, but if u prove urself good to the employers, and have a degree from a uni that has a name, then that's a bonus. they'll like u even more. that's y they have interviews and all that crap. to filter out the fake ppl (eg those that have achieved academically, but dont know how to talk to ppl) oh they're plenty of them around!

of course it depends on who's recruiting u, whether they have a degree or not and which uni they come from, that will affect their judgement as well. eg if they dont have a degree, they couldnt give a rat's hole whether u have 7 degrees or not.

i'm doing B Com (Lib St) at USyd

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
why did u choose usyd? any reason?
since this is a 'which uni?' thread

D Day

of course there's always a reason for choosing. but this is up to the person, other ppl like unsw, uts and maq.

y i chose it? well i was exposed to a lot of it through school and the abw state program. it kind of set the benchmark. besides unsw couldnt convince it was better. every award it received, every accreditation gained, usyd also gained it. but dont mistake me, i have still have a lot of respect for unsw ppl

ah and now the business school at usyd is AACSB accredited (some high international award shit--> http://www.aacsb.edu/accreditation/ ). other business schools in australia accredited are UQLD and AGSM.

scholarship, B Com (Lib St) being exclusive to that uni, transport, the people at usyd (in other words i didnt want to go to chinatown, i mean unsw) also played a part. personally i believe, unsw has lost its identity recently, but i c usyd improving. so in few yrs time, i think, all the stats will favour usyd, for business that is.

answering the thread starter, i think usyd is best for business. if u want a combined degree, all the better cause the arts and sciences faculty definately beats unsw. i have no idea about law.

but that's just me.

my point being, that no one can answer this question for u. u have to go to the open days and find out urself.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)