Whiteness I Remember as a related text (1 Viewer)

zoe1231

HSC
Hi, I'm studying Ted Hughes "Birthday Letters", "Sam"at the moment, and have chosen "Whiteness I Remember" by Sylvia Plath as my relatd text. I'm looking at conflicting perspectives... can anyone help with analysis??

Toranilor

HSC
As far as I am aware, it's frowned apon to analyse external conflicting perspectives, i.e. two sides across two different texts, as oposed to a self contained one, so firstly make sure your analysis is integrated, yet one does not depend on the other.

My advice would be to look for similarities (or contrasts) in methodology, themes, etc. For instance, both poems mention 'white' alot, and use it as a metaphor for fear.

A big thing I thought would go well with those two poems is the idea that differing contexts, mindsets and interperetations of the same facts lead to differing perspectives.

You could argue that the conflicting perspectives of Hughes' poem and it's close relationship with Plath's encourages the responder to view Plath's portrayal with skepticism. - It's important (IMO) to relate author intention to author action.

Good luck with your analysis!

Madge10

HSC
How do "Sam" and "Whiteness I remember" have conflicting perspectives... I know one is her side of falling off and it being a major issue - she held on for dear life, and Hughes just feels as though she is hopeless.
Does anyone have anything better...? cheeers.

:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)