Who does SOR thats not from a Catholic School? (1 Viewer)

x-Manda-x

HSC
I'm only in year 10, but I'm planning on doing SOR ll, and I don't go to a Catholic school. Hmmmm, my reason? Because I like humanity subjects, especially history and yeah, I feel that I might enjoy learning about other cultures and religions in the world and how they have developed over time. If that makes any sense to anyone.

0hNivlek

HSC
I wanted to do SOR but our school didn't offer since they know we can't compete with religious schools lol. Oh well, i get to do a whole module on Christianity in Society & Culture anyway (doing it atm) - still good lol!

t45h

HSC
My old school, which was a public school, didn't even offer it at all.
But now I'm at a Catholic school where it is compulsory to do either SOR (I or II) or Catholic Studies.
I chose SOR I coz I needed the one unit and it goes towards a UAI, (or should I say ATAR?), where catholic studies doesn't.
[Plus, I'm not Catholic ;)]

tess_gee

HSC
My school is a public school and we offer 'Studies of Religion' as a subject, but only 2U. There are 15 people in my class - two of which are religious. The rest of us are not. My teachers are really into Hinduism and Buddhism and stuff and they try their very, very hardest to make it interesting for us.. For example, last term after studying Hinduism and Buddhism we spent an entire period learning traditional Hindu/Buddhist chants and doing yoga with incense. We also do Sufism as a "school of thought" in Islam and had a Sufi lady come and talk to us about it, which was cute.
Most of the lessons in year 11 were just spent talking about the philosophical side of religion, but now it's getting serious and they're fretting that we need to get up to standard in order to properly compete against the Catholic schools etc. We write an essay a week in class; in time conditions, and have done our half yearly exams again and again until we all got 5/5 for the short response Religion and Non Religion/Religion 1945 to present questions ...

Madz_B

HSC
i'm at an anglican school (but not religious)... everyone in the school has to do 'Christian Studies', however i choose to do Studies of Religion I because i was interested in learning about what other people believe because we basically have Christianity shoved down our throats during Christian studies and chaple

gcchick

Come at me bro
HSC
Uni Grad
I did SOR1 in Year 11 because I needed an extra unit.
I went to an Anglican school (most of us weren't religious at all though, it felt more non-denominational) where SOR1 and 2 were both offered but not requirements.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)