Who is afraid they won't get their subjects? (1 Viewer)

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
Okay, so at my school we have lines (i think every school has lines) where we choose from the selection and we have to pick all 7 lines (besides the tafe on i think) anyways, they subjects are lined up and I am afraid a lot of my subjects will be in the same line. Anyone have any uncertainties about their subject selections?

And would doing 2 extensions be hard or stressful?

muzeikchun852

HSC
im afraid..
becoz there isnt much ppl doing japanese..
and if there isnt enough ppl,,
me and the ppl who wants to do japanese will force to choose other subject!

suzlee

HSC
2 extensions are obviously more work than just 1 or none but seriously, if you really like both subjects, it's no problem...

I heard some schools don't have a set blocks of 'lines' - instead take the selections for every student and try their best to make 'lines of best fit'?

Zedez

HSC
Yeah, a lot of people at my school had that problem last year. It turned into a huge battle between the students, the guy who was running it and the parents, simply because the majority of people were not getting the subjects they wanted. It would have been much worse, but my school offers a lot of online courses, so people could do their subject there, but for those who didn't like that idea kinda got screwed.

If it does turn up, try speaking to the teacher ASAP, and try to get him to be sympethetic. That way you might get the advantage when he reshuffles them. I know everytime they moved subjects to make things fit everybody just groaned because it was worse than before.

You should be alright if the problem is that their is one line where you have nothing you want to do, but if you have a few stacked up in a line, you may have a problem. Sorry if I'm scaring you even more ;-)

Good luck.

Edit: I do 2 extensions, it ain't that bad. I'd advise starting the year with 14 units, and choosing to drop on line fairly quickly. That way you have a free line, and have the same amount of unit as everyone else. Just make sure you alright to continue with both extensions, otherwise your stuffed because you can't drop one.

Last edited:

TearsOfFire

HSC
N/A
2 extensions are obviously more work than just 1 or none but seriously, if you really like both subjects, it's no problem...

I heard some schools don't have a set blocks of 'lines' - instead take the selections for every student and try their best to make 'lines of best fit'?
lol @ lines of best fit. Reminds me of science.

I know some private schools actually create the timetables from scratch and try to accomadate as many people's first choices as possible.. Of course, it takes into account the number of people who apply for that subject; whether or not there are enough people to form 1 or 2 classes..

HSC
I know some private schools actually create the timetables from scratch and try to accomadate as many people's first choices as possible.. Of course, it takes into account the number of people who apply for that subject; whether or not there are enough people to form 1 or 2 classes..
In my experience, this rarely works.
Although I am glad that I wasn't in the year below me. If I had had to pick off their grids, I probably would have considered changing schools - it was so bad.

HSC
haha my school actually makes up the timetable from scratch every single year. poor vice principal and subject coord xD

unfortunately i didnt get to do economics. the other 2 backup subjects i wanted to do were in the same line as the subject that i really wanted to do. so i was stuck. picked bio instead and ended up doing 3 sciences. i didnt want to do bio in the first place but this actually worked out for the best for me. im coming first in the year for bio!!
i would've HATED economics with the amount of essays. i still think the subject is interesting, but essays turn me off bad. which is why im glad i do 3 sciences! i

if you dont get all the subjects, thats too bad but im sure you can work things around it.

good luck everyone!

Amogh

HSC
N/A
OMG if this happens in my school im so screwed
=.=
they havent talked about it yet..

narima

HSC
have backup subjects, and have a careful look at what prerequisites you need if you have a particular course you want to get into. if you dont know what to do after HS choose a broad range of subjects. but make sure you dont regret your subjects. does anybody know what the latest time i could change a subject is? i screwed up big time by choosing society and culture over PDHPE and not doing ancient :(:(, if you know what the latest time to change subjects is, let me know, or tell us if you or someone you know has changed heaps late?
goodluck with subject selections! :)

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I was scared I wouldn't get mine... but the school was nice and gave me all mine ^_^

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
lol @ lines of best fit. Reminds me of science.

This is what happens at my school.

Just pick your subjects without fear and then worry + decide if you don't get all your subjects.

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
ill give you an example of one line at my school:
-Biology
-Physics
-General Maths
-Senior Science
-Italian
-Earth & Environmental Science
-Business Studies
OMG if i have a line like that I'm screwed. I want to do both Physics and bio, but the teacher said some subjects appear twice in lines. OMG OMG OMG OMG. Lol I'm hyperventilating.

HSC
An example of the lines at my school (in my Year):

Maths (Ext's), Bio, Accounting, Business Studies, Drama, Japanese

So many people got screwed over by this line.

All the only opportunity to do these subjects.

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
We have to choose a subject from every single line. Can someone give me an example of a really shitty line?

muzeikchun852

HSC
ill give you an example of one line at my school:
-Biology
-Physics
-General Maths
-Senior Science
-Italian
-Earth & Environmental Science
-Business Studies
if i have this linee..
i will be sure im doing physicss.

An example of the lines at my school (in my Year):

Maths (Ext's), Bio, Accounting, Business Studies, Drama, Japanese

So many people got screwed over by this line.

All the only opportunity to do these subjects.
but if i got this line..
im totally screw for suree..
maths extension and japanese..
two of my must have subject..

Last edited:

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
At my school we only ended up having the compulsory English line i.e Advanced or Standard (there is the first).

Maths then had it's own... choose between General or Mathematics.

3rd line was Physics, Drama, Visual Arts, Food Tech and PDHPE

4th line was Ancient History, Geography, Music, Senior Science and Hospitality

5th line was Chemistry, Earth and Environmental Science, English Extension, SOR II, Legal Studies and SLR

6th line was Maths Extension 1, Industrial Technologies, another class of Hospitality and PDHPE (yuk), Business Studies and Biology

Clearly... these lines are stupid. I was happy just as long as mine worked... and they did perfectly.

muzeikchun852

HSC
At my school we only ended up having the compulsory English line i.e Advanced or Standard (there is the first).

Maths then had it's own... choose between General or Mathematics.

3rd line was Physics, Drama, Visual Arts, Food Tech and PDHPE

4th line was Ancient History, Geography, Music, Senior Science and Hospitality

5th line was Chemistry, Earth and Environmental Science, English Extension, SOR II, Legal Studies and SLR

6th line was Maths Extension 1, Industrial Technologies, another class of Hospitality and PDHPE (yuk), Business Studies and Biology

Clearly... these lines are stupid. I was happy just as long as mine worked... and they did perfectly.
if i got this line..
3rd physics
4th shit lineee..hate all the subject [but if i really need to choose,,music/geo]
5th chemistry/legal
6th maths ex 1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)