Who is aiming for Medicine 2011 (1 Viewer)

future-doctor

HSC
pfft..i would say more than half of med students have pay as their most influencing factor..

I understand that almost everyone else would also have pay as a significant factor but if surgeons earnt the same as teachers, then we would see an entirely different story.

Could you honestly say that you would be happy to become a medical practioner on a $60 000 salary? Now you'll probably give me some cliche resonse like "Oh, I want to save lives". The years of training one does to become a surgeon is indeed arduous and those who do choose that route definitely deserve an income that warrants their whatever~ (don't know which word to put in there) lol

edit: now im gonig to get flamed by people saying that im jealous or something along the lines of that -.-

I completely agree with most of the statements you have made, such as most of the "med students have pay as their most influencing factor... " which i find completely frustrating, because you have more than a thousand applicants every year that want to do medicine for the right reasons, yet lose spots to people who associate medicine with money. Maybe uni's should start putting people on the lie detectors haha :p

And yes believe it or not i can honestly say i would be happy with a $60 000 salary if i was a medical practitioner. As long as my salary can provide me with a substantial lifestyle or living, sure why not. I believe achieving a life goal or dream is far more rewarding than the money earned in later years. Honest to god, it is far more rewarding to also go to sleep knowing one, you achieved your life goal, and two, you helped or saved a life (i know how cliche, but it's true). Having completed nearly 100 hours of community service through school, i can honestly say helping others with their lives is truly rewarding.

HSC
I completely agree with most of the statements you have made, such as most of the "med students have pay as their most influencing factor... " which i find completely frustrating, because you have more than a thousand applicants every year that want to do medicine for the right reasons, yet lose spots to people who associate medicine with money. Maybe uni's should start putting people on the lie detectors haha :p

And yes believe it or not i can honestly say i would be happy with a $60 000 salary if i was a medical practitioner. As long as my salary can provide me with a substantial lifestyle or living, sure why not. I believe achieving a life goal or dream is far more rewarding than the money earned in later years. Honest to god, it is far more rewarding to also go to sleep knowing one, you achieved your life goal, and two, you helped or saved a life (i know how cliche, but it's true). Having completed nearly 100 hours of community service through school, i can honestly say helping others with their lives is truly rewarding.
well that's nice~

so would you volunteer for doctors without borders? cos that would most certainly have to the epitome of a truly rewarding experience.. those who cant afford medical treament, a much substantially lower standard of living etc

NewiJapper

HSC
ilikebeeef said:
Why would you want to do med then? Or maybe you don't?</SPAN>
Well, I have a strong background with the hospital. Both my grandma's were nurses, my mum is a radiologist and my dad has a phD in Biology. So I think for this reason I have always been curious in the way the body works and everything about it, but I love so many other things aswell so that is why I'm so confused in what to do. I'm going to do the UMAT and hopefully get an interview and after I get my ATAR i'll access all my options and figure our my preferences etc

HSC
Well, I have a strong background with the hospital. Both my grandma's were nurses, my mum is a radiologist and my dad has a phD in Biology. So I think for this reason I have always been curious in the way the body works and everything about it, but I love so many other things aswell so that is why I'm so confused in what to do. I'm going to do the UMAT and hopefully get an interview and after I get my ATAR i'll access all my options and figure our my preferences etc
and you do 3u eng lol

nah jks..
good luck~

future-doctor

HSC
Yeh sure no doubt i will volunteer, i think there are doctors who volunteer to do checkups on the homeless every few months at the soup kitchen. I would most probably do that once i complete med; you know stay in touch with the people. :spin:

nessarhino

HSC
I've asked around a lot and there seems to be a substantial amount of people aim for med. It's slightly discouraging as well =__=
& then there's UMAT, where pretty much everyone I've asked - is doing MedEntry and like askdjaskljdkasdjaq\

I don't know. Sometimes - you have to think realistically.
Then again, I'm a pessimistic person, haha.

Then again, I can't think of any other degree I want to do so - heh. We'll see ; )

brunx

HSC
sooo with MedEntry... aiming towards this years umat... should i be starting it now? is this the prep course that is most popular?

Kamal15

HSC
Umat... bad memories
i did medentry last year and I don't knoe how much it helped but i ended up with 83rd percentile.
I managed an interview from unsw cos of my predicted atar being 99.95 (or was it still uai back then?). but yeh study hard for umat guys put in alot of work

or just take the easy option by getting 99.95 and coming to usyd....

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yeah, I personally don't think Medentry does that much. The papers yes, but the course, no. The papers are available around. My friend somehow downloaded all the papers from Medentry onto a USB and gave them to me.

Kamal15

HSC
Yeah, I personally don't think Medentry does that much. The papers yes, but the course, no. The papers are available around. My friend somehow downloaded all the papers from Medentry onto a USB and gave them to me.
lol aerath shhhhhhhhhhhhh....

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
Ironically you don't even want to do Medicine.

Lukybear

HSC
the irony. As mod you should post it upon the resource section rite? To benefit the community, as your ethical obligation?

But then again, i wouldnt mind. Ive bought mine.

Mudcake

HSC
Make sure you consider all the options available :) I got into Griffith Med with a 90.90 ATAR because of my UMAT and interview score, plus theres heaps of other places that accept lower ATAR's. I'm sure the other places are amazing but don't just give up on getting into med if u think you wont get a 99. Good luck guys! ^.^

mtsmahia

HSC
Make sure you consider all the options available :) I got into Griffith Med with a 90.90 ATAR because of my UMAT and interview score, plus theres heaps of other places that accept lower ATAR's. I'm sure the other places are amazing but don't just give up on getting into med if u think you wont get a 99. Good luck guys! ^.^
Wow...

is that the Provisional entry one ?... where u have to do 2 years of Medical Science...and maintain a GPA of 5 and the MBBS?

Last edited:

future-doctor

HSC
What exactly are they looking for in the interview? How do they score you?

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Ironically you don't even want to do Medicine.
Yeah, parents sorta forced me into the whole UMAT thing. All for the best, I guess, though.

the irony. As mod you should post it upon the resource section rite? To benefit the community, as your ethical obligation?

Nope. Distributing Medentry stuff online would be a breach of copyright and is an offense. So whilst I have an obligation to assist members of the BoS community, this does not trump the law. For more information, read here

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC

I think it's illegal to post them up.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
Beware of people selling illegal copies of outdated materials. Please note that posession or purchase of pirated copies of MedEntry's material may lead to prosecution and even imprisonment.
wouldn't bost about having the papers, they seem like the kind of stingy pricks that would take you to court.

HSC
wouldn't bost about having the papers, they seem like the kind of stingy pricks that would take you to court.
how would they know your identity on bos..

unless you wrote everything about yourself on your profile..
otherwise if bos told them, you could sue bos for disclosure of some sort..no?

or the parent company istudy or something..for what what the name was

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)