Who's aiming to get above 90 this year? (1 Viewer)

Giant Lobster

HSC
heh... i agree with not understanding why some people do the lower-echelon subjects.

When I started year 11, I knew why I was there. I knew that the coursework would be useless in terms of my career. I knew i wasnt in school to learn. No. I am in school to get my UAI. I'd ditch my HSC if it wasn't attached to my UAI. I knew that I would start learning in university, not in high school. I knew I was there solely to get into university.

So with that goal in mind, my interests did not factor in. I know my limits regarding ability, and how good each subject scales, and how good I would do in each. I chose my subjects based on that.

I dont thing everyone thinks weird like me though :)

nike33

personally..i agree with what u say lobster..but alot of ppl dont want to go to uni and hence their 'learning' will be what they learn in the HSC (or lack thereof :p)

Zarathustra

Dasein
The ficticious world of subject, substance, "reaso
HSC
Most people who are not planning on going to Uni would be much better off getting an apprenticeship or going through TAFE (more practical apparently).

I don't agree with the social pressures to get an HSC - for what!!! If it's to obtain a UAI and then go to Uni - like Lobster said - I understand, but to put the x% of people through it who don't want to go to Uni is stupid. It is an ineffective use of our labour resources:( - not to mention unnecessary stress for most 17-18yr olds. The lower level (or echelon :p ) subjects in my opinion are there just for the people that stay in senior high solely because of parental and social pressure or for welfare:mad: .
If the practical courses were removed with the lower level courses it would be much better for everyone.

As nike33 said not everyone has the same interests, abilities etc., why then make them do the HSC????? The lower echelon subjects are there to keep the less able/dedicated students, who really should be working full-time and thus getting experience and having true enrichment to their employment opportunities which should result in a higher standard of living...

Last edited:

ay_caramba

Crazily Sane.
HSC
im planning to get 90! i'd be really happy with anything over 90 :)
i go to a really good selective school, and im doing well so far, i think (lowest mark is 84 in chem, highest is 96 in ancient)
.. but i really dont know what im capable of in the HSC, its a weird feeling of not knowing what to expect, a UAI of 40 or a UAI of 90+
aaargh :O
i plan on doing it by.. um *listening* in class lol, doing my hw, studying hard.. ok i give crap study tips.. i dont devote my life to studying, i pretty much just study when i feel like it .. gulp
thanx for reading my life story

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
I like maths... but i only do general. Thats because i could only get 50% in 2unit. I would rather study my backside off and get 80-90 in general, than to study my arse of and get 60 in 2 unit.

Not everybody has their life mapped out for them. Some people arent going to know what they want to spend the rest of their life doing for a long time still.

You cant come in here and judge people on their subject selection. If its stupid to choose low scaled subjects, call me stupid. But when i work hard to do my best in a subject, that scaling counts for jack!

Its not the scaling im intrested in... its doing well enough that the scaling isnt going to affect me that im intrested in. And i couldnt do that with high scaling subjects.

To the person who said theyre only doing the hsc to get to uni, i think thats incredibly sad. I go to school to learn, because some day all the skills will combine to make my life a little easier. Uni will teach you the aspects of your career path... Life is much more general than that.

Last edited:

KarmaKitten

HSC
I agree with Wilmo, i go to school to learn but also obviously to get to uni.
but i would like to know that what i learn in school will benefit me, rather than just help me with scaling.

mayhemily

HSC
hey ok. I would lovvvvvvvvvvvvvve to get over 90. Realistically, knowing the amount of work I do I probably won't. And you know what? WHO CARES. The hsc, the uai... its not the be all and end all of life. There are a hundred billion ways to do whatever the hell it is you want to do. And also, it doesn't matter how much you are paying for your education or what the bloody ranking is of your school. How many people have made successes of their lives and have grown up in the country and went to a smaller uni, if they went at all? ummm pretty much anyone who wanted to. Intelligence, commitment, resourcefulness... these things aren't discriminatory. They aren't qualities you gain by getting a high uai or taking subjects with 'high scaling'

Why aren't you people doing what you like? You take subjects now because they are scaled highly, not because you have interest in them... how bloody sad. Whens it going to end? Then are you going to go to the uni course that will get you the biggest paycheck at the end, the jobs with the most fringe benefits and so on and so on until you are rich and bored and frustrated at your life because you have spent 10 years in a job you hate?

Stop. Stressing. Out. If you dont get the uai you want, go to a different uni. Enrol in a different course and transfer. Hell, take a couple of years of, travel, party, save some money and go back as a mature age student when you are 21.

And the reason people choose subjects that aren't scaled up?
Um, they like them. When you like something, you do better in it. (maybe thats the secret to getting the big 1 0 0). Believe it or not, not every single person who does the hsc wants to go to uni. And believe it or not, they aren't wasting their time. I know this, because I go to a school that has no ranking (shock horror) I have less than fifty other students in my year (yes, thats right) and probably half of those aren't considering a university degree. I'm sure they would feel offended to be told they were wasting their time. Want to go to TAFE? Get a job? Become an apprentice? Join the forces? Well, it helps if you have your hsc. Dont forget that you can do your hsc without even getting a uai. And don't forget why: Its not necessary for success in life.

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
You need to find a happy medium... You cant go to school and pretend the UAI is nothing. While you are at school its very important for you to be aiming at something. Very. Without a goal you wont get anywhere.

The thing is, that if you dont reach your goal, learn to be content with that. Aim for a goal, and if you dont reach it, it doesnt matter. Ask people in their late twenties early thirties. Do people care what UAI they got anymore? Hell no.

For now... aim for the stars... who knows you might just get there. But no matter how low you are when your closest to the stars, you still know you tried to jump higher than those who are still on the ground. And thats all that matters in the end... Gumption

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
^^ yeah i get what you are saying. PEOPLE REACH FOR THE SKY COZ EVEN IF YOU MISS YOU WILL LAND AMONG THE STARS

( theres my little bit_

aditya

HSC
opens up sam....

3 or 4minutes later...

*overwhelming sinking feeling*

:(

aditya

HSC
and you should aim as low as YOU can, but try your hardest and never the less, this will bring about ultimate happiness =)

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
See... i often thought that... But when you put it in to practice, you havent set yourself a goal you have to push urself for.

If i think im only capable of getting of getting 60 in a subject, what goal is going to push me? 61 or 80? If i dont get 80, i wont care because i thought i could only get 60, but i would have pushed my self and therefore got higher than 60. Beating what i thought.

Set yourself a goal which you want but think is "unreachable". Because nothing is unreachable if you want it bad enough.

If you are going to set yourself a low mark, set a high one. So your low is 61, and your high is 80. Then aim for the high one, and when you get your results back you'll be like wow i got so much better than this low mark.

Getting close to high goals and exceeding low ones brings much more hapiness then getting close to your low goal.

Speaking of this method. Do you have a uni subject (if you intend to go to uni) that you want? Set your low goal the entrance mark, and your high goal the mark you need to get a scholarship. That way if you get the scholarship UAI how stoked will you be, but if you dont, youll still have worked hard enough to get your uni course.

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
i get what your saying sort of, but most people porbably want a 100, but cant they get it? no because the uai is a ranking ...

ay_caramba

Crazily Sane.
HSC
sheesh, i didnt even think abt scaling for a second when picking my subjects... i actually *like* all the subjects im doing, and if i enjoy a subject, im likely to do well in it no matter how its scaled..and even if i dont do so well, i dont care as long as i didnt waste two years torturing myself with a highly scaled, but highly boring subject
k thats all

chill
:)

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
choosing my subjects were like an arranged marriage...forced to pick high scaling...and learn to love!

KfWang

im aiming for a 90+, should be able to get there, but ive seen good courses around the 80+ mark, and there science at newcastle uni 70+, and i want to do psychology which is a ball shrinking 95+, but then if you do science you can major in psycology, theres more than one way to skin the cat so they say :),

i used to do some ok scaling subjects but i dropped a lot of them, their so dull and boring.. i like most my subjects now ^^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)