Who's looking forward to math? :) (1 Viewer)

nightweaver066

HSC
Reminder to everyone to see if you remember the Trapezoidal rule & Simpsons rule.

I was actually doing some 2U stuff the other day because i was bored and realised i had forgotten them after so long..

RishBonjour

HSC
for proving similar triangles. "angle angle" is enough right, or do we HAVE to show all three angles are equal (AAA) even though the third will no shit be equal in 2 are equal. (for 2 unit)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
A tip for those who keep forgetting which is h/2 or h/3....

The formula for the area of a trapezium begins with h/2. So Trapezoidal rule is h/2.

So thus Simpson's rule is h/3.

for proving similar triangles. "angle angle" is enough right, or do we HAVE to show all three angles are equal (AAA) even though the third will no shit be equal in 2 are equal. (for 2 unit)
It will suffice to prove two angles are equal, then state that they are similar under the reasoning "Equiangular".

Indeed, it is 'no-shit' that the last one will be equal. I would be extremely disappointed in the way Mathematics is marked, if people got deducted for not doing that.

Last edited:

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC

The formula for the area of a trapezium begins with h/2. So Trapezoidal rule is h/2.

Why does Cambridge not include this? They only have it as an extension question.

RishBonjour

HSC

It will suffice to prove two angles are equal, then state that they are similar under the reasoning "Equiangular".

Indeed, it is 'no-shit' that the last one will be equal. I would be extremely disappointed in the way Mathematics is marked, if people got deducted for not doing that.
I think they deduct it for 2u. yaaay "equinangular" new word.

Also, when you are doing questions with multiple parts and you sort of do part 2 in part 1. can you say refer to above or just copy down what you did in part 1? (e.g. for proofs)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I think they deduct it for 2u. yaaay "equinangular" new word.

Also, when you are doing questions with multiple parts and you sort of do part 2 in part 1. can you say refer to above or just copy down what you did in part 1? (e.g. for proofs)
You may state "From part (i)..." etc etc.

So for example if (i) was to prove two triangles are similar and (ii) was to prove some ratio, then you would have

"From (i), Triangle ABC ||| Triangle DEF. Hence AB/DE = BC/EF (matching sides of similar triangles in same ratio)

Caboufram

HSC
N/A
Has anyone completed the Ruse 2unit and 3unit trials? I done them yesterday, got 93 and 74 respectively. How would they fair up against HSC standard?

RishBonjour

HSC
Has anyone completed the Ruse 2unit and 3unit trials? I done them yesterday, got 93 and 74 respectively. How would they fair up against HSC standard?
how can you get 74 when its out of 70? lol
or do you mean 2011 paper?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
They only have the usual forms, ie:

They don't have:

They do have the equivalent of that. However, they partition the total range A -> B to A -> A_1 -> A_2 -> A_3 -> ... -> B, then the new limits of integration become A, A_1, then A_1 to A_2, etc etc.

So instead of having a single formula (as you have there, and as in the Extension), they essentially derive it every single time.

_pikachu

HSC

Would you put that word in like this:
Therefore, Triangle *** is similar to triangle *** (Equiangular) ???

Rawf

HSC
Is anyone as hopeless in circle geometry as me? :(
I look at the question for like 10 minutes and I don't even know what to do!

2xL

HSC

Or The Simpsons have 3 kids thus h/3 for simpsons rule. LOL.

Rawf

HSC
I do b-a/6 for Simpson's rule and b-a/2 for trapezoidal
Im having trouble remembering al the volume and area formulas. I also don't know the properties of my shapes (like rhombus, trapeziums, kites and other random shapes!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)