• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Who's ready for Year 11?! (1 Viewer)

MrMalevolent

HSC
Does anybody know if I will be able to switch from Visual Art to Chemistry? Really regret picking art and not choosing Chem.

Gigacube

HSC
Does anybody know if I will be able to switch from Visual Art to Chemistry? Really regret picking art and not choosing Chem.
Yes, you can switch from Visual Art to Chemistry within the first few weeks of starting year 11.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, you can switch from Visual Art to Chemistry within the first few weeks of starting year 11.
This. You can switch between any subjects in the first few weeks!
Thinking of switching Photography to English Extension 1... Thoughts anyone?
Considering that I'm quite lazy, would the workload for prelim English Extension 1 bother me too much? (Cause' there's like a 75% chance that I should be dropping it in Year 12)

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
Considering that I'm quite lazy, would the workload for prelim English Extension 1 bother me too much? (Cause' there's like a 75% chance that I should be dropping it in Year 12)
I'd say do it, You would drop photography anyway so why not give EX1 a shot and keep if it you do well if not drop it, I'd say it'd be more helpful than doing photography.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Isn't Photography compulsory at your school RivalryofTroll? (But that's when you do 11 units I believe.)

ZeeZee3

HSC
I agree, photography isnt really useful, people choose it to waste time. Im also thinking of switching psychology (1 unit) for extension english.

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
Isn't Photography compulsory at your school RivalryofTroll? (But that's when you do 11 units I believe.)
I don't think it is, considering most people in selective schools generally take the higher scaled subjects so it shouldn't be compulsory but more out of personal choice. Anyways, is anyone here in year 11 made to do a compulsory 12 units with 2 humanity subjects at least? My school doesn't let us go for an Asian combo...

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Since has there been one unit psych???

^What schools that? And when you say 2 humanities does that not include compulsory 2u english?

Gigacube

HSC
I think its exclusively to our school, its a board endorsed course. Other schools dont have it.
I don't think it's exclusive to your school. I've heard of 2 different schools offering psych too.

Magical Kebab

HSC
I reckon u should. I'm doing x1 English and will probs drop it in year 12, but if I like it, who knows?
X1 English workload isn't that bad, everyone says it's less of a workload than most 2 unit courses, like chem and physics.
It would be more beneficial I suppose.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't think it is, considering most people in selective schools generally take the higher scaled subjects so it shouldn't be compulsory but more out of personal choice. Anyways, is anyone here in year 11 made to do a compulsory 12 units with 2 humanity subjects at least? My school doesn't let us go for an Asian combo...
Then just do Economics (your 2 unit humanity/social science) along with the Asian combo - chemistry, physics, 3U maths, 2U or 3U English...
Economics is a part of the Asian Combo anyways (for Year 11 at least)... Isn't it also compulsory to do one language such as Latin and Classical Greek in schools such as Grammar and Newington?

@Spiral: Tech put me in Photography (I didn't choose it myself), originally they chose SOR 1 for me (in the interview for applying for Tech) but yeah... So it's either Psychology or Photography for 1 unit terminating courses (I'd prefer SOR 1 over both but I guess there's no class for SOR 1?)... Question: Does Tech offer SLR hahaha?

@Everyone with suggestions: Thanks guys for all the opinions, I guess I'll try out Extension 1 English within the first 3 or 4 weeks or so... (If I don't like it, I'll just change back to Photography or any other 1 unit-sub)... I guess the things that are making me hesitate to do Ext 1 Eng would be:
- I'm not an A level English Student (I mean there's people, who are A level English students, who are not even doing Ext 1 Eng)
- BIGGER Workload compared to something like Photography or SOR 1 (If I do photography, I can focus a bit more on my other subs)
- I don't like to read books (this could be reason for the death of me in English, especially something like Ext 1 Eng)
- I'm alright (quite decent) at Essay writing but I completely suck at Creative Writing so yeah... (Probably due to the fact that I never/rarely read books)

Pros: (Ext 1 Eng)
- More english skills obtained which MAY help a little in Business Studies and Economics in terms of essay writing
- Continues until end of Year 12 like SOR 1 (not a terminating course like Photography or Psychology)
- MAY help improve my advanced english marks...
- May help me develop a passion for English somehow...

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
I'm doing extension English mainly because I need to fill a unit and would rather do it than another 2U sub.

If I do well I might end up keeping it as well, but there's a decent chance I'm dropping it in year 12. You could always do this.

destiny-genius

HSC
I'm doing extension English mainly because I need to fill a unit and would rather do it than another 2U sub.

If I do well I might end up keeping it as well, but there's a decent chance I'm dropping it in year 12. You could always do this.
I'm thinking of doing the same thing. ;)

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
Since has there been one unit psych???

^What schools that? And when you say 2 humanities does that not include compulsory 2u english?
I think I might've mentioned it before in a thread, but it's Sydney Grammar in the lovely city of Sydney. In answer to your question and now that I consider it, I do think English does count as 1 humanity subject although everyone is made to do at least advanced English or higher. In that case, I think we're only meant to do 1 compulsory humanity subject although I'll have to check with my school.

@Rivalryoftroll: In Grammar (from older students), you don't actually have to do a language if you don't want but they don't allow you to do an asian combo because they want you to gain a liberal education. Basically, that's where they implement humanity subjects in you.

Last edited:

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
I think I might've mentioned it before in a thread, but it's Sydney Grammar in the lovely city of Sydney. In answer to your question and now that I consider it, I do think English does count as 1 humanity subject although everyone is made to do at least advanced English or higher. In that case, I think we're only meant to do 1 compulsory humanity subject although I'll have to check with my school.

@Rivalryoftroll: In Grammar (from older students), you don't actually have to do a language if you don't want but they don't allow you to do an asian combo because they want you to gain a liberal education. Basically, that's where they implement humanity subjects in you.
Rofl do you know Garry Ho?

alex122

HSC
i already have a whole lot of homework, i have to write an essay on change... anyone want to help me out?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)