Why are atheists on this website always attacking Christianity? (2 Viewers)

Abiloey

HSC
So your rationale is that is says so in the bible?
No wonder you avoided answering so long.
Lol, I just have faith in what I'm told, I'm sorry if it doesn't satisfy you.

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A
And yet, here we are. This democratic society has shown that the statistics were wrong. I'm pretty sure that means at least 50% do not want euthanasia legalised... that's a bit more than the 20% you told us of. But we're only human, I could be wrong, missing some vital piece of information.
I must have missed when they held the referendum on legalizing euthanasia...

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
We aren't required to listen but the laws of the country have been dictated by christian values rather than reason or democracy. You can't have your cake and eat it too by saying "christian values are great except that we the people don't agree with where they are wrong." The strength of minority christian lobbies via divisive politics is why these things are still so ingrained within our system.

If this is not the case why do you think gay marriage (or civil union, if you prefer) has not yet been legalised? You claim that the message only holds weight within the church but that is simply not true in this case. If that were the case and the values were merely meant to be a quiet voice of conscience, have the elected officals not said "okay within the state jurisdiction gay civil unions shall be legalised, but it is up to churches to decide whether they will honour them in terms of religious marriage."
So we lobby government - who gives a woozle? Are you suggesting that we have some secret power over politicians that forces them to do what we sayyyy? No. We make reasonable arguments that have resonance with the community because we argue from natural law

I agree with you on the individual right to equality before the law and that legal discrimination against homosexuals is abhorent - even without solid Christian basis. The example of marriage is clearly a sensitive church-state issue tho. Catholics would no doubt prefer the sanctity of marriage to hold its historical respect within the community, but we wont wither up and die if something like gay-marriage passes. We put up with a whole load of crap from secular governments and we wear it all with humility and peace, just as Our Saviour accepted the injustice of Pilate

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Yeah and i'm with you on your suspicion of these creatures. More often than not, they see faith as a positive marketing tool that will get them over the line. I'm certainly not cool with that and would never automatically vote for the bible thumping candidate over the reasonable and responsible one (who may very well be a Catholic, idk or care bc government is a totally different bag to the Church)

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Now you see where I'm going. While only needing to be popular within their own electorate, pollies decisions affect all of us. Would you vote for Tony Abbott?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I would, mostly bc he's v v clever and I like a bit o political biff.

But the core mission of government has to be justice. This cannot be ensured thru structures or laws; society must have just individuals. The Church imo still has a massive and legitimate role in forming individuals along such a path because blatant self-interest is clearly not the self-correcting goddess some like to think it is. We should always have much to do with people (and the freedom to do this btw), but we should never seek to preempt the perfect union of church and state that is the next heavenly world

Last edited:

lolrofllol

HSC
Eugenics has very little to do with Darwinian Natural Selection, except that it happens to involve the gene pool
I still believe what Hitler propagated (invasion, holocaust etc) was partly in the name of Darwinism (as well as Eugenics and German Nationalism ofc). Sorry for not being specific enough before, I meant social Darwinism and natural selection, i.e. the idea that nations, people, cultures and individuals are subject to the same laws of natural selection as plants and animals. Here's a short excerpt from Mein Kampf when I googled it (many longer passages with the same idea, you'll tl;dr that, most likely):

Mein Kampf said:
Nature as such has not reserved this soil for the future possession of any particular nation or race; on the contrary, this soil exists for the people which possesses the force to take it and the industry to cultivate it.
Nature knows no political boundaries. First, she puts living creatures on this globe and watches the free play of forces. She then confers the master's right on her favorite child, the strongest in courage and industry.
Link if interested:
Mein Kampf: Munich

But yeah, I guess you could put social Darwinism as a branch of eugenics... It nevertheless arose from Darwinian ideas

Planck

Banned
HSC
N/A
I'm not Christian but who are you to say that God does not exist and that it's obvious that he does not exist?

You seem pretty adamant in your views but I get the impression that for you, seeing is believing?
Materialism is the only real way to interpret reality.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Does a cancerous tumour count as life then?

Okay I'll rephrase. Every President ever has been an attending member of a christian church. Geeze to go further, JFK is the only Catholic president there has ever been.

You're arguing semantics on the dimension/beginning of time point.
You keep dodging the question. Why does the universe need a creator but god doesn't?
The entire changing nature of the universe in itself points to the Beautiful One who is not subject to change. Man and the world both show that they contain within themselves neither the first principle or final end, but rather are participants in 'Being', which alone is without origin or end.

Crestwood's_G

In Elegance
HSC
People do not believe in God because it is written, they believe because they have hope. Rather than enforce my opinion upon you, I will give you something to think about. If Christians are right or any other religion for that matter - we will go to heaven, we will live forever in paradise. You on the other hand will go to hell living in damnation. If you are right, however, we are not out anywhere. We still die the same as you. I personally don't see the risk in being Christian or any other religion.

I suggest you read Dante's Divine Comedy to determine whether the gamble you are making is really worth it. Yes, it may be fictional but by god was he a brilliant little monk or what.
i also do not believe in religion because of this....when i say "believe" in this sense i mean it like "i do not believe in men having sex with underage girls"....

religion is a tool for control...do this do that...if u do this or dont do that you will go to hell....to be honest i dont give a fuck...if there was a hell its earth....crack babies/HIV/famine/weather/greed etc. by the way, hope is belief...i am a realist...so keep believing that you will go to heaven...if that makes you happy...oh and did you see the leprechaun i saw?

Sultun

Banned
HSC
N/A
i also do not believe in religion because of this....when i say "believe" in this sense i mean it like "i do not believe in men having sex with underage girls"....

religion is a tool for control...do this do that...if u do this or dont do that you will go to hell....to be honest i dont give a fuck...if there was a hell its earth....crack babies/HIV/famine/weather/greed etc. by the way, hope is belief...i am a realist...so keep believing that you will go to heaven...if that makes you happy...oh and did you see the leprechaun i saw?
You rebel agiasnt God? He has given you everything. HE sacrificed his son (who is as part of the trinity of the same substance and the essence of in fact himself) so that you could be forgiven of your sins. HE gave you life and thought and you reject his Grace? May you stop your hate filled ways and find Christ (who is 45 degrees of the trinity substance of God Himself).

Crestwood's_G

In Elegance
HSC
You rebel agiasnt God? He has given you everything. HE sacrificed his son (who is as part of the trinity of the same substance and the essence of in fact himself) so that you could be forgiven of your sins. HE gave you life and thought and you reject his Grace? May you stop your hate filled ways and find Christ (who is 45 degrees of the trinity substance of God Himself).
he gave his life for me? even tho this was 2000 years before i was born? and he was pretty much forced to die...he was executed...and what a great being...who gives up his son....(himself)....my mother's egg and my dads sperm gave me life

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)