why are cut offs decreasing? (1 Viewer)

BackCountrySnow

HSC
iwannarock said:
if the mine collapses and you survive and sell your story for millions it becomes a long term prospect.

:santa:
Now here's a guy who know's what he's talking about.

kevinant

HSC
It's kinda off-topic now... This topic is talking about cut-off and hmm I'm actually wondering why does actuarial studies cut-off has fallen from 97 in 2006 to 95.00 this year...even below UNSW's 95.20!!

X

xeuyrawp

kevinant said:
It's kinda off-topic now... This topic is talking about cut-off and hmm I'm actually wondering why does actuarial studies cut-off has fallen from 97 in 2006 to 95.00 this year...even below UNSW's 95.20!!
... Did you read the beginning of the thread?

Just so you're aware, I don't think anyone on this forum has access to or knows:

a) How many students are accepted into each course each year, and
b) what the trend is with regards to the last (bottom UAI-wise) of those students' UAIs are.

If you gave me both pieces of information, I could tell you why the cut-off is falling. If you want a list of possible reasons why any given course's cut-off falls:

1. Change in admissions:
Increase in number accepted,
change in non-UAIed students influx,

2. Popularity:
decrease in popularity,
decrease in popularity chiefly among students with a higher UAI. (In theory - not really in practice).

aileenli

HSC
Why does it matter if the cut-off is higher or lower than UNSW?

The course hasn't changed from back in 2006. You're still going to be learning the same content and going to the same campus, regardless of the fact that the uai dropped from 97 to 95.

Just thank the fact that it dropped and you can get in - unless you only want to do it because you got the UAI and by enrolling in a mere 95 course, you'll be losing your gloat factor.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Why is it falling and allowing dropkicks into uni :(

X

xeuyrawp

Insha'allah the restructure makes our new degree (BAs all round!) higher.

kevinant

HSC
PwarYuex said:
... Did you read the beginning of the thread?

Just so you're aware, I don't think anyone on this forum has access to or knows:

a) How many students are accepted into each course each year, and
b) what the trend is with regards to the last (bottom UAI-wise) of those students' UAIs are.

If you gave me both pieces of information, I could tell you why the cut-off is falling. If you want a list of possible reasons why any given course's cut-off falls:

1. Change in admissions:
Increase in number accepted,
change in non-UAIed students influx,

2. Popularity:
decrease in popularity,
decrease in popularity chiefly among students with a higher UAI. (In theory - not really in practice).
Thanks for answering, but I have no idea on the answer of your question...in fact I havn't met anyone with UAI lower than 96 in my degree yet... I met many 98ers and 96ers.

aileenli said:
Why does it matter if the cut-off is higher or lower than UNSW?

The course hasn't changed from back in 2006. You're still going to be learning the same content and going to the same campus, regardless of the fact that the uai dropped from 97 to 95.

Just thank the fact that it dropped and you can get in - unless you only want to do it because you got the UAI and by enrolling in a mere 95 course, you'll be losing your gloat factor.
I know this may sounds stupid but It DOES matters because I got a scholarship from UNSW...I didn't go there because my (ex)gf's going to mq and we were going to be together. I don't think the course is changed for over 10 years but I think the UAI cut-off indicates the quality of course?!

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
kevinant said:
I have no idea on the answer of your question...in fact I havn't met anyone with UAI lower than 96 in my degree yet... I met many 98ers and 96ers.
Unless you've met every person in your course, this is useless. I've never sat with people in media who weren't idiots, doesn't mean that they don't exist (cos god knows that they do).

But yeah, read the freaking thread, you should be familiar with this thing called supply and demand and umm quotas? You know...thats how the system works! (in a very crude over simplification).

I know this may sounds stupid but It DOES matters because I got a scholarship from UNSW...I didn't go there because my (ex)gf's going to mq and we were going to be together. I don't think the course is changed for over 10 years but I think the UAI cut-off indicates the quality of course?!
Roflmao. I feel for you really. Passing up a UNSW scholarship for a girl. Poor fucker.

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
all those people who want to do a course because it has a higher uai requirment, here is a reality check for you:

after the first fortnight at uni, no1 gives a shit about ur uai.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Its like a date really, you take the girl out to a really fancy restaurant, and then maybe you'll get laid.

You can tell who the real idiots are, cos they'll still be talking about how great dinner was.

aileenli

HSC
kevinant said:
Okay, get this into your head - it DOESN"T matter what the quality of the course is! I'm sure there are heaps of nursing and teaching courses out there that have superb quality, and since there is lower demand for such courses and larger supply, the UAI drops down.

On the other hand, you get shitty little courses like commerce at Macq, where the quality is like nil (large student-teacher ratios, the fact that the lecturer has literally been doing the same lectures for the past two decades and they encourage 'rote-learning' etc etc). Yet the UAI is quite high since everyone wants to do it because its 'commerce'.

Also, lol for dropping the scholarship.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
bigboyjames said:
all those people who want to do a course because it has a higher uai requirment, here is a reality check for you:

after the first fortnight at uni, no1 gives a shit about ur uai.
how is this relevant??
And yes, I think we all know that.

HSC
N/A
All hail the student feedback sheet. And any opportunity to provide student feedback, period.

And if that doesn't work, all hail second year. Or third year. Or however many years it takes until you find the awesome teachers (even if it means becoming a professor yourself).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)