Why do Arts Degrees cost less? (1 Viewer)

flaganarchy

HSC
N/A
Question stands. In comparison to Commerce or Medicine? Why is that.... is it cause we are enlightened human beings? That's my theory...

witide

HSC
Probably don't use as many resources/equipment, and there are so many students.

spence

HSC
^ What he said but also because it generally doesn't lead to high salaries I think is a part of it, because things like law and commerce cost the same to teach, but are more expensive as they generally lead to high salaries

HSC
I'm not sure about them making it cheaper because it leads to low salary jobs???
Most of the difference is in use of equipment/technology - all you need for most arts subjects is a lecture theatre and some tute rooms, wheras science requires practical labs and microscopes etc etc etc which are all incredibly expensive. You will find on your uni bill that each subject costs a different amount, and this depends upon what equipment they use.

spence

HSC
I'm not sure about them making it cheaper because it leads to low salary jobs???
Most of the difference is in use of equipment/technology - all you need for most arts subjects is a lecture theatre and some tute rooms, wheras science requires practical labs and microscopes etc etc etc which are all incredibly expensive. You will find on your uni bill that each subject costs a different amount, and this depends upon what equipment they use.
But law and commerce also just require a lecture theatre and tute rooms, and yet they are in the highest band for student contributions.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
HECS bands are arranged according to earning 'potential' unless they are national priorities.

SAVAK

Banned
HSC
N/A
stop beating around the bush, its a shit degree.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Much less contact hours also, though probably could count that as resources.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Question stands. In comparison to Commerce or Medicine? Why is that.... is it cause we are enlightened human beings? That's my theory...
It's cause people with arts degress don't earn much more than an unqualified bum, so they can't pay the HECS fees back. So the government mandated that the fees should be lower.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Because their degree doesn't leave them specifically qualified for anything, or if it does, it's a low-paying career, such as translators or historians.

bwendan

HSC
I have done a bit of research on this topic, regarding government policy on higher education. If you are referring to the cost born by CSP students, then the answer is that there really isn't any coherent reason. The Government sets a cap on the student contribution amounts, but most universities always charge the cap amount anyway. The system you see now is just piles of ad-hoc and sometimes inconsistent government decisions over the last 30 or so years.

Some links:
Andrew Norton Blog Archive What do higher education subsidies achieve?
http://www.cis.org.au/issue_analysis/IA105/IA105.pdf
http://www.dest.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres...3/16862/AttachmentA_AccessEconomicsReport.pdf

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)