Why do people equate height with power? (1 Viewer)

synthesized

HSC
N/A
Something I have never been able to understand, is why a lot of people assume that taller people are stronger than shorter people.

Just because you are a lot smaller than someone, doesn't nescessarily mean you are weaker, right?

Nat3skiz

HSC
synthesized said:
Something I have never been able to understand, is why a lot of people assume that taller people are stronger than shorter people.

Just because you are a lot smaller than someone, doesn't nescessarily mean you are weaker, right?
well sometimes height = more weight, and generally heavier people are stronger.
Its funny how people think.

ticky2002

HSC
N/A
I got told that it is something to do with they are higher up, so it shows like a 'status'. Same reason why teachers stand in lessons while students sit. It gives that idea of power/status.

boris

Banned
HSC
i dont know but i tend to want to have sex with people > 6'0''

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
ticky2002 said:
Same reason why teachers stand in lessons while students sit. It gives that idea of power/status.
um no i don't think thats the reason

your.knee

i'm lizzing
HSC
Taller people appear to have a physical advantage over shorter people which leads to strength and power.
For example, in an argument, if you're taller you can stand over the other person which is far more intimidating than the shorter person trying to reach your head height to yell in your face :)

carrots please!

not a malcontent
HSC
there was some study of ceos in america done and it came up with this unruly statistic about how disadvantaged the shorter people were when it came to getting the top jobs, even with equal qualifications

discrimination or what

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
height will give a greater field of vision, allowing you to snipe enemies from further away.

Twilight25

HSC
Depends really.
My friend is around 10cm shorter than me (and mind you, im 5'5") and she hurts people sooo much. She will leave a bruise on you unintentionally....its annoying. She had a fight with a really fat girl and she won....lol.

But then again, been taller does have its advantages.

evche

HSC
foram said:
height will give a greater field of vision, allowing you to snipe enemies from further away.
but wouldnt that make it easier for your enimies to snipe you?

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
evche said:
but wouldnt that make it easier for your enimies to snipe you?
You'll have the initiative. If you head shot them, and they don't have armor, then they're dead, and you get the kill.

HSC
breaking said:
um no i don't think thats the reason
I think there is a little truth to that statement. Standing over people can show power and control, which teachers have (or at least try to) over their students. Although, I agree with you, ultimately this isn't why students sit at desks to work.

EDIT: Wait, does that even make sense ?

Last edited:

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
Born2baplacebo said:
Tall basketball players = a lot of energy and physical power
and alot of hawtness also ^_^

NinjaSauce

HSC
I'm going with the taller people can generally be heavier people (Skinny lanky of course, do not fit this bill). And heavier people are generally stronger people. Evolutionarily speaking, there are no weight classes. I'd much be a heavy weight over a lightweight in a confrontation.

But just to be annoying... When you get very tall (anything over 6'4'', or around abouts) your strength can begin to suffer, unless you really, reaaaly get huge. For some perspective on the hugeness, in a strength sport like powerlifting (basically big people moving heavy weights) a guy of around 6'7'' who wanted to get into the sport was told he would have to be at least 375 pounds (170kg) if he wanted to ever be a world class lifter. When you get absolutely massive, your levers (arms, legs, hips, back, etc) become so excessively long, that you begin to gain a disadvantage. (eg, two people, equal weight, but 1 guys has arms 6inches longer than the other - Who is going to have a easier time bench-pressing?)

Though, i wouldn't say this is the reason the example of given of the little friend beating up on people. That may just be 'little-man (girl) syndrome' where they are out the prove something, or due to their size, over-commit to any actions.

meh... I dunno.

I'm talking out of my ass here. :p

ticky2002

HSC
N/A
Ms. BRIGHTSIDE said:
I think there is a little truth to that statement. Standing over people can show power and control, which teachers have (or at least try to) over their students. Although, I agree with you, ultimately this isn't why students sit at desks to work.

EDIT: Wait, does that even make sense ?
CONTRADICTION!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)