Why do you read? (1 Viewer)

babylupin

HSC
I read because i love it it creeates a fantasy realm for excaspe purposes

HSC
Hello, first time posting after browsing the site for quite a while.

I first started reading because I enjoyed the escapism but then as I read more books, I began to develop a "love" for language. So now I enjoy reading well written prose over something that is more concerned with the plot, but I tend to read trash fiction in between more "serious" fiction to cool my head. Personally, I think that some "trash" fiction may have something to offer other than cheap entertainment. I wouldn't get too annoyed about people who bag out something for its popularity and that alone, because it only sounds like pathetic primary school standard elitism.You should be over that kind of stuff by the time you turn 16.

I still read Harry Potter although I think I'm past the demographic of Potter readers. I don't enjoy it as much as I used to, say when I was 11 years old, but I think that I'll be reading it until Rowling decides to end the series. Though, her recent efforts seem to drag on too much.

As for Dan Brown, I've read "Digital Forrtress" and no, I am not going to bother reading his other books because his way of writing annoys me. The plot was good but not good enough to save the book from Brown's awful muck.

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
I usually read to escape for a while, it's a great way to distract myself from things I want to be distracted from :p Mostly I read books I can relate to, its comforting or something.

Davriel

HSC
N/A
I read books because I like to. Just like some people enjoy watching movies. However, I also read books to learn how to write, as I am working on a novel of my own.

By the way, does anybody ever re-read their favorite books? If you do, do people ask why? This annoys me greatly, to put it mildly. I usually ask them if they only watch a movie once, but they don't get it.

Finally, on why people hate books they haven't read (which means you can't blame poor writing skills). People hate these books because they don't like popularity or the genre of the book. Furthermore, they could have read another book by the same author and hated it, thus their prejudice grows. Some have other reasons, such as religion in the case of Dan Brown's The DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons.

amy236

HSC
if i find the right book, then reading carthartic. its my escape, but i find that during the school term i have to be careful or i will get too caught up in any storyline, and i mean any, and completely neglect everything. but basically, i've read for pleasure ever since i first learned, and now i can't stop. its not unusual for me to keep lists of books i've read thoughout school holidays... or to reread my favourites when i'm feeling low or having trouble sleeping... or when school is getting me down. books are my escape.

jessal

HSC
because i can

...and because its inspiring and a good way to relax at night.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Because i want to.

Because i want knowledge

And because knowledge makes me interesting.

oh, and because it puts me to sleep. Forgot that one.

Last edited by a moderator:
HSC
I read to escape life and enter another even if its for a few minutes. I also believe that reading has enabled me to think outside the conservative and oppressive shithole of a culture I live in and opened my eyes about the real world especially in a social perspective. In many ways I was also able to form my own personal opinions on different issues. All in all I think its one of my favourite form of fun and at the same time, educational entertainment. :)

findaway

HSC
To escape the world when it becomes too much.

To provide a basis for my daydreams... inserting myself into stories and checking how the characters will react is fun. Or better yet, insert character A from story A into story B and see how it handles it...

To keep my temper under control... I'm always better tempered when I have a book in my hands, or one to go back to.

To entertain myself.

Because I'd rather read than almost anything else... (except for listening to music and flying, basically).

Because I sometimes need to remind myself that there are so many things that could happen to me that are worse

Because I love books. I love the way they captivate, the way that a story will weave it's way in and out of my conciousness during the day and the way I have an inexplainable need to get back to it...

Because I love being one of the only people who is in on the joke

Because I love the way that I will just forget anything else

Because I love the way a story will impact on me

Because I need to read.

becky.davies

HSC
I read because I just love it and always have! I adore fantasy and Sci-Fi novels such as Uglies, Peeps, Harry Potter, I like some of Shakespeare's Plays and Charles Dickens. I think it's disgraceful there is no complete works of Charles Dickens release because I want it so bad. Basically I like to read because I can block out everything thats going on and jsut relax

Last edited:

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
I read 'cus i either need to (english), or because i want to. I'm only focusing on textbooks now, because i've realised that reading too much tends to distract me from my schoolwork, which i can't afford to do

terwrath

HSC
Why won't you read when travel on the train's 6/7 days a week? Some prefer to listen to music intead though I prefer to read, anything.

findaway

HSC
terwrath said:
Why won't you read when travel on the train's 6/7 days a week? Some prefer to listen to music intead though I prefer to read, anything.
Motion sickness. Im my case. This prob wasn't adressed to me, but my brain isn't able to think too deeply right now.

BTW, becky.davies, Artemis Fowl is my fave series ever!

tasha1188

Forever is overrated!!
HSC
I read to put me to sleep. Like at night when i cant sleep, i'll read my textbooks and then that makes me sleepy :p

Otherwise i read because im bored and have nothing better to do

jkylk

HSC
Because it is a requirement to pass the HSC. LOL Nah...
In year 9 and10 we were forced cause we had to do these "reading for pleasure" tasks. Seriously, because of the activites we had to do after reading a book, it was much of a pleasure! LOL

nicole21290

HSC
I read because I love to read. My friends bag me out for my love of reading but it challenges me, inspires me, makes me think, and entertains me. I love most books, as long as they are well written. I am quite happy to read books tens of time and enjoy it just as much every time. We drive up to QLD and it's a fantastic way to spend 12 hours in a cramped car! I read for school work (and get distracted by other parts of textbooks which I don't need to read) and I actively seek out books. I have to read at least 3 books a week otherwise I am in a bad mood. They help me relax and get away from all the hassles of life. I will read almost anything, though, the longer the better! I am happy to read biographies, plays, parodies, sci-fi, fantasy, classics, non fiction etc - I love books on philosophy and religion. Yeah, basically, I just love reading!

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
jhakka said:
With so many personalities in this forum and perspectives on reading, I'm interested to see why people read. What books do they like, and for what reasons?

I was in my English tute the other week and one girl said "I'm making a point to never read Dan Brown." I look in Honi Soit today (to read waf's letter that was never going to get published but then did) and there was a token "DAN BROWN IS TEH SUCK LOLOL!" comment in one of the articles. As far as I can tell, these people are bashing Brown because he's popular and (apparently) a bad writer.

I don't get it. I can understand disliking a book for poor writing, but hating it because it's popular is just beyond me. Why do people hate Brown or Rowling before reading them? I haven't read Brown simply because I'm not interested, but Rowling's books are entertaining and engaging and reach their target audience. I don't see why people automatically hate them just because they're popular.

Why are these people embarassed to be seen reading a book that everyone else likes? Does it make them feel inferior because they're reading what the idiotic masses like? I don't know.

I read to be entertained. When I get home from uni or work, I don't particularly want to do much hardcore thinking, so I pick up a novel (maybe a Rowling book, more often something in the more traditional style of fantasy) and read. It's not really an escape, but it's a passtime. It's enjoyable. It's fun. To me anyway.

Then there are people who want to read out of interest in something. Whether that be in astronomy or advanced linear functions or political theory, it's still the same thing.

Others seem to read to prove that they're better than everyone else. To enlarge their intellectual penis. Those who wouldn't be caught dead reading a popular book.

Can someone explain this last to me, please? I just don't get it.

Oh, and why do you read?

i'm stereotyping..
but people who arent generally avid readers, tend to read mainstream books, which are predominately things like dan brown, etc etc....

so avid readers [who think they're better than the occasional reader,] dont want to be seen reading the same book as those occasional reader as they view the occasional reader as uncultured, and mediocre haha... reading only what popullar culture tells them to read, because they're not intellectual enough to investigate other, less mainstream books...

i read alot.. and i know a few of those.. occassional readers who tend to like 'jody picoult' or something? and for that reason.. i will not touch those books... its horrible and judgemental.. but i just refuse to.. [also because they sound kinda soppy from what the comfam girls have told me.. best friend dies? car crash?? letters?]

i read dan brown's da vinci code, for the only reason that other people were reading it.. [i had taken a stand for about 2 yrs...]
and i didnt particularly like it at all.. it was very fast paced and adventurous but i didnt really see any amazing writing style in there at all...

i read... 1. because i like how reading can take youplaces.. [and god that sounds cliched] but its true...
2. to be 'cultured'... alot of people refer to books to further their arguements/ discussions.. and i want to be one of these people :) so for that reason, i generally read alot of classics.. ie jane eyre, wuthering heights, catch 22, catcher in the rye, perfume.. et al...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)