Why is education a competition? (1 Viewer)

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
Why do we have to be ranked?
Personally i think making education a competition disheartends those less 'cluey' then others and hence pulling people into the hole of poverty,drugs and crime...

bras91

HSC
Yep I agreed if it wasnt for the ranking system, I would not try to get my friends to fail so my rank will go up at least by one lol.

See if there is a ranking system we will give it our best shot as this HSC is viewed as the chamber whether we can get the key to a certain career path.

But according to my career advisors it is not. If we fail our HSC there are a LOT of alternatives to get abck into a Uni.

But anyways i reckons the alternative optons are only for those that cant be bothered studying and achieving the best results they can.

Ranking system can be good or bad i guess, but the worst part is the stress i get from it...:confused:

Nasonex

HSC
N/A
'To be the smartest, thou shall beat the smartest'

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
well the HSC is the only (feasible) way to distinguish who should be let into what courses in university. they simply dont have the time to do anything else e.g. interview everyone or whatever

shaon0

HSC
ekoolish said:
Personally i think making education a competition disheartends those less 'cluey' then others and hence pulling people into the hole of poverty,drugs and crime...
education is competitive because the UAC has to rank everyone in order so the best candidates will get the subjects they want vice-versa.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
shaon0 said:
education is competitive because the UAC has to rank everyone in order so the best candidates will get the subjects they want vice-versa.
correct.

bendha

HSC
it is to show those who are capable of achieving high standards and are able to maintain that level understress of competition, in which we will further experience in life ahead in jobs etc...

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
In the world outside educational institutions, there is always competition. This could be from firms competing with other firms for customers, a nation competing to be more powerful than other or politicians competing for your vote and most relevantly for us, competition for a particular job vacancy!

So it comes as no surprise that education itself is often regarded as a competition.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
HSC isnt really a measure of intelligence.
No but it's a measure of your intelligence compared to others

OP: Do you think they wouldn't do that anyway?
Oh yeah, I only take drugs because I don't think I can do well in my education system, my life is over.
No, people take drugs because it's fun and recreational

Anyways, dumb people will be dumb people
Whether or not we were ranked or not, they'd still be idiots and the smarter people will still be smarter than them, regardless of a formal certificate

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Timothy.Siu said:
not really, it sees how much ur willing to work
But then as you work, your intelligence rises
I'm not talking about natural aptitude alone when I use the word intelligence
By intelligence I refer to hard work, knowledge, natural aptitude and the common sense to not fall into a
ekoolish said:
hole of poverty,drugs and crime...

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
The HSC is supposed to be a measure of your abilities against particular statewide standards (i.e. the band system) as well as an indicator that you have completed your schooling up to Year 12. So, a mark of X indicates that you have demonstrated certain indicative skills and knowledge up to a numerical equivalent of X. So, when someone looks at your record of achievement, he or she can see what level of skills you are able to demonstrate in a particular course. The higher the mark, the more skills and knowledge you can demonstrate. Obviously, it is an imperfect system for that intention, but it's as good as it can get within the given limitations.

It is not intended to directly measure intelligence (that's what an IQ test is for) nor is it intended to directly measure hard work, however the general empirical trend suggests that it does this implictly but of course there are outliers to this general trend.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
An Information Booklet on the HSC said:
Your mark in each course is reported against descriptive performance bands that show what students placed in each band typically know, understand and can do.
I'll reword it then
It measures your capacity to know, understand and do things compared to the rest of the state
Which is intelligence, in my opinion

Come on, normally when you study, you get smarter
The HSC syllabuses encourages you to think critically and logically and to reason and etc.
This is especially true in essay-based subjects like English Extension, History Extension etc.
[/SIZE]

youngminii

Banned
HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
Assuming that what you have studied is correct. I didnt do English Extension or History Extension but say for instance history - How do you know that that is what is actually what has happened in history?? The syllabus is written in a way as though the right answer is what is in the textbook and that what you memorise will get you the marks which is why I do not believe that that is true intellect.
Actually, History Extension is all about determining the accuracy and reliability of sources etc.
History Extension is equal to University level =D

Anyways, you just completely ruined my tagline :burn:
:(

latvia

HSC
N/A
ekoolish said:
everything in life is competition, honey. it's just that the ranking made it explicit. the scary competitions are the implicit ones..

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
UNSWMasturbator said:
umm i'm pretty sure the UAI system has nothing to do with people being pulled in to poverty, drugs, or crime

ffs
Just take a look at the profiles of criminals and i'm pretty sure you'll find the bulk of them didn't get a UAI of 99.9

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)