Why! (1 Viewer)

enoilgam

HSC
I think that's the crux of it though, it doesn't answer the question. Fluency should be disregarded if the core function of the essay isn't met.
The marking criteria for a HSC course isn't just about answering the question. It's also about engagement with the texts, and showing that you can identify, analyse and synthesise techniques and their effect as well.

I'm not condoning writing a pre-prepared essay without consideration for the question, but 3/20 is overly harsh, and if I were to bet, would not abide with marking criteria. To me, it seems like said teacher is just trying to make a point about pre-prepared essays by punishing the student, rather than conforming with a stringent set of marking guidelines.
Im kind of in between both you guys. If an essay fails to address the question, it should not get higher than a band 4. However, I think fluency, grammar etc should be considered in the marking, although not to the same extent as answering the question. Also, 3/20 is ridiculously low - they dont even mark that hard on uni essays. I remember they showed us an anti-exemplar essay in uni which had all the essay writing mistakes in it. The lecturers told us that an essay like that would get around 35%.

xamineO

HSC
The marking criteria for a HSC course isn't just about answering the question. It's also about engagement with the texts, and showing that you can identify, analyse and synthesise techniques and their effect as well.

I'm not condoning writing a pre-prepared essay without consideration for the question, but 3/20 is overly harsh, and if I were to bet, would not abide with marking criteria. To me, it seems like said teacher is just trying to make a point about pre-prepared essays by punishing the student, rather than conforming with a stringent set of marking guidelines.

That's unfair.
Making prepared essays shows that you've tried to study for the test?
While I know others, who do absolutely nothing in class, jig etc...
And get a much better mark than me.

eat_well

HSC
That's unfair.
I know how you feel. Like I said, I have been in the position before.
After that test I completely gave up on my belief that hard work pays off and spent the majorities of my days thinking what went wrong.
The realistic fact is that those students probably did what the teacher wanted your grade to do: they turned up on the day with all the quotes they knew and made an essay on the spot. The teachers want us to do it that way because it is the only way for sure that we can answer the question and not just have a tutor write it for us. It's us answering the question by ourselves through the understanding of our text. That's the way my school does it anyway. That's what dropped my confidence in English to an all time low.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
That's unfair.
That's a rather similar assumption to make, there is loads of people who muck around at school but at the same time spend loads of time studying at home. You need to stop whinging and just move on with it (This mark is a wake up call for you to start studying harder and if you have issues like we said, go consult with your teachers). Also, you have a huge portion of your HSC left (Focus on this rather complaining on BOS) and if you're not going to listen to our advice and continue complaining all day, then there's nothing we can do about it.

I wish you the best, just study hard and ace your exams from now on.

ahdil33

HSC
Your teacher is a muppet who doesn't understand the English criteria. IT should've at least gotten 5+, probably 7-9 at the least, maybe if you didn't use any techniques or back up your ideas at all.

But it's all been said now, make sure the marker can clearly see what these two ideas are, then go and back them up with evidence in the body.

HSC
N/A
cbb reading the rest of the thread, but I agree that it is a little too wordy

i have the exact same problem. I find it incredibly hard to be concise :cry:

protip: give it to someone else to read. if they give up on it, then you know it's too long
srs, works with me

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
But yeah, 3/20 is excessively harsh, given you're able so string a sentence together. Weird!

xOllyx

HSC
But yeah, 3/20 is excessively harsh, given you're able so string a sentence together. Weird!
Even that is arguable... its an introduction and going so in-depth into the technique of juxtaposition seems clunky. Some of the wording is off as well... Sticking to the basics and clearly outlining the two issues, outlining the extract and its significance in the whole text would have gotten significantly better marks. In all honesty it seems preprepared and instead of doing the basics launches into an obviously rehearsed sentence on culture.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)