• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Why's Industrial Technology Timber a shit scaling subject? (1 Viewer)

Salehhh

HSC
The max someone can get is like 95? wth?
would this subject drag me down a lot? :/

spanky125

Just waitin' for a mate
HSC
Your fault for picking a subject that requires less intelligence than food tech.

Salehhh

HSC
Your fault for picking a subject that requires less intelligence than food tech.
Ohh ur a fukn sick cunt aye.. You've done the subject yeh? Explain the content please.. Go ahead..

Last edited:

monsta4lyfe

HSC
I guess the Board just sees it as a less challenging subject. Also, I'm guessing its a course for lots of students (boys especially) that want to go into a trade after school? To get a band 6 you've got to be near perfect, however with that said, I remember one year every guy at my school that did Timber got a band 6.

Tbh I think its bs how the Board sees subjects as less challenging, for instance, imo, Legal studies should scale just as well as Economics, if not better. Its a bit illogical how a subject that links to a degree in law requires a lower degree of intelligence than any career path in eco. Just sayin' :/

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I guess the Board just sees it as a less challenging subject. Also, I'm guessing its a course for lots of students (boys especially) that want to go into a trade after school? To get a band 6 you've got to be near perfect, however with that said, I remember one year every guy at my school that did Timber got a band 6.

Tbh I think its bs how the Board sees subjects as less challenging, for instance, imo, Legal studies should scale just as well as Economics, if not better. Its a bit illogical how a subject that links to a degree in law requires a lower degree of intelligence than any career path in eco. Just sayin' :/
The skills you use in Law don't require a higher level of intelligence.

monsta4lyfe

HSC
The skills you use in Law don't require a higher level of intelligence.
That's debatable, otherwise there'd be a lot less competitiveness in the industry.

Anyway, like I said, it was an opinion, I wasn't claiming it to be factually proven.

spanky125

Just waitin' for a mate
HSC
how bout i go spanky spanky ur mama assy assy
No actual legit argument?

I am not trying to put you down I am just saying that a 90 in timber is nowhere near equivalent to a 90 in physics or chemistry. That is why it scales so poorly, which is fair.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Scaling isn't determined by the board of studies, it is determined by the candidature and their performance across subjects. The UAC use raw marks with scaling which also means that the amount a subject is aligned (which is done by the board) can affect peoples perception of scaling,

xer0

Sydney     ATAR Aim:   85+      Penis Size:  9001
HSC
I'm doing Industrial Technology, too. I am doing Multimedia Technologies though. It is such a shit scaling subject because of Timber, Metal, etc. that don't give a fuck about their HSC and don't try in the exam nor their major projects.

A band 6 is still possible. A lot of people get band 6s each year. Last year 8.5% of the state got a band 6, 22% got a band 5, the year before that 11% of the state got band 6 and 20.5% of the state got a band 5. It's not hard to get that. But you have to remember that the majority of your marks come form your major project. You have already completed 60% of your external mark before you even sit the exam. The 40% remaining is the actual exam (hence its 1.5 hour duration).

I am pretty hopeful for a band 6 in Industrial Tech. Even though a 95 in Industrial Technology is equivalent to a 80 in Chemistry.

Best of luck to everyone sitting the exam on Wednesday.

spanky125

Just waitin' for a mate
HSC
It's only in the last couple of years that timber tech actually became a category A subject (I don't know how it did), it used to be a category B subject, similar to hospitality. Art and drama should both be category B subjects as well.

xer0

HSC
It's only in the last couple of years that timber tech actually became a category A subject (I don't know how it did), it used to be a category B subject, similar to hospitality. Art and drama should both be category B subjects as well.
I think you mean Industrial Technology, not "timber tech". Multimedia, Graphics, Metal and Engineering, Timber Products and Furniture, Automotive, Electronics, they all fall under Industrial Technology. Graphics and Multimedia students are typically the ones who get the higher bands.

spanky125

Just waitin' for a mate
HSC
Industrial technology is just a fancy name for cutting up and gluing pieces of wood together.

spanky125

Just waitin' for a mate
HSC
Multimedia, Graphics and Electronics don't involve wood.
You're right, I am not putting shit on those subjects as they actually require half a brain cell, whereas timber can be completed by most tradies.

Salehhh

HSC
You're right, I am not putting shit on those subjects as they actually require half a brain cell, whereas timber can be completed by most tradies.
that's disrespectful to tradies bro... without them you would've not have a house..

spanky125

Just waitin' for a mate
HSC
I am not saying we don't need tradies, I am just saying that timber is more of a subject for the junior years. I mean I did timber at my school when I was a junior becuase it was compulsory and I liked that it was a bludge but you can't really say that it is a category A subject. It is not on the same level as physics, chemistry and higher maths levels. It is in the same tier as hospitality and drama.

xer0

HSC
I am not saying we don't need tradies, I am just saying that timber is more of a subject for the junior years. I mean I did timber at my school when I was a junior becuase it was compulsory and I liked that it was a bludge but you can't really say that it is a category A subject. It is not on the same level as physics, chemistry and higher maths levels. It is in the same tier as hospitality and drama.
Yeah it's not on the same level as chem or phys. It's much harder. You actually have to do something practical and something real. Not like physics where you just right shit on a paper. It doesnt exist. Timber is a real subject. It should be category A+ and physics should be category Z HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA /s

inb4 someone thinks im srs

Tnoucca

HSC
you can't compare industrial timber to physics or chemistry. Physics and chem require you to think allot and brain storm the possible outcomes. the reason timber scales down is because the board of studies hasn't really thought timber as a hard subject. although timber is pretty stressing tbh because of 80 A4 page portfolio's that students have to do and plus produce a timber furniture.. so if you haven't really done timber and haven't experienced doing those stressing portfolio's then you're just saying things that you have heard from other people. yes its true timber isn't really a hard subject but then again do u want to do produce an 80 pages of portfolio, at the same time have other assessments given, produce a furniture?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)