Will choosing 'Creative' subjects lower my atar? (1 Viewer)

conversecentury

HSC
I just started my first day of year 11 today, and I am doing Visual Design, Design and Technology, Visual Art, Drama, Advanced English and Ancient History.
One of my friends told me that you get a lower atar if you're doing creative subjects, because apparently they're 'not as hard'.
I want to believe this isn't true, but I want to be sure.
If anyone knows whether your atar drops if you do creative subjects,
please let me know!
Thanks!

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
No. If you get high marks in those subjects, then your ATAR will reflect this. Essentially, pick subjects that you think you will be good at, and will enjoy.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Not at all. In fact if you did the 'higher ranking subjects' and did shit in them, you'll still do shit. Conversely, doing well in the more 'creative' subjects will ensure you will do well. :)

namesAsh

HSC
If you choose subjects you do well at there's no need to worry about what subjects are going to lower your ATAR because you'll do well in them!

In my opinion there's no real point in choosing... lets say Biology because it has a higher scaling than whatever other subject I mean if you don't Biology you'll generally get distracted, loose interest quickly and not do so well in assessments which will lower your overall results/ATAR regardless.

So... if you're confident you'll do well in those subjects you've picked stick with them, do your best and you'll get the results you deserve.

P.S: I know we just started Year 11 but I'd love to know if you've had any sparks of ideas on what you're going to do for your DT major project. :]

Tofuu

HSC
not at all. In fact if you did the 'higher ranking subjects' and did shit in them, you'll still do shit. Conversely, doing well in the more 'creative' subjects will ensure you will do well. :)
+1

kcqn93

HSC
hey! you still have adv English and Ancient!

...and if you really like Ancient this year, you could pick up History Extension! ;)

occer

HSC
N/A
You're going to have to do very, very well.

CecilyMare

HSC
doing well in these 'creative' subjects may not give you as high an atar as someone who did equally as well in their science/eco etc subjects. so do awesome.

i don't actually know, but that's what everyone's telling me.

conversecentury

HSC
Wow! Thanks!
Thank you so much everyone, this has made me feel so much better.
I'm really confident in all the subjects I've chosen, so I do hope I do well!

conversecentury

HSC
P.S: I know we just started Year 11 but I'd love to know if you've had any sparks of ideas on what you're going to do for your DT major project. :]
haha, yes, I have had a couple of ideas.
I'm thinking of making a textiles piece, maybe focusing on recycled products?
I'm so excited to get started though, and I doubt I will end up using this idea.
What about you, have you come up with any ideas?

rajputsingh

HSC
If you do really well in these subjects you shouldn't be at any disdavantage. You need to ensure that you achieve above and beyond your best just as if you were studying chemistry or physics. If you do well, scaling shoudln't really effect you.

Sammy2011

HSC
As long as you have an interest in what you will be learning, you have just as much a chance of getting a great ATAR as someone who took the more 'academicly demanding' cources. It sounds like you have a passion for your choices, so I think you'll do great :)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You can get 99.95 with any combination of subjects - however in general, you find the trends that the high scalers get high ATARs, and low scalers (usually creatives to an extent) get medium ATARs. Low ATARs are drop outs and those who don't work.

Why? It's not the subjects, it's just that you'll find smarter people doing the high scaling subjects - and therefore pushing this urban legend.

conversecentury

HSC
Why? It's not the subjects, it's just that you'll find smarter people doing the high scaling subjects - and therefore pushing this urban legend.
Wow, I never thought of it like that, but I guess it makes sense.
Thanks!

conversecentury

HSC
As long as you have an interest in what you will be learning, you have just as much a chance of getting a great ATAR as someone who took the more 'academicly demanding' cources. It sounds like you have a passion for your choices, so I think you'll do great :)
Thank you!

namesAsh

HSC
haha, yes, I have had a couple of ideas.
I'm thinking of making a textiles piece, maybe focusing on recycled products?
I'm so excited to get started though, and I doubt I will end up using this idea.
What about you, have you come up with any ideas?
Textiles is cool, I've seen a couple of nice major dresses made from recycled materials too. Then again I don't know much about textiles I mean I didn't even get to finish my pillowcase in year 8 :(
Yea I can't wait to get started either and it is still early to really choose what we want to make.
As for me, my ideas are all over the place but I'm leaning towards some kind of furniture like a TV cabinet with inbuilt features that way I have some real use for it afterward.

madsam

God among men
HSC
Your subjects are classified as being "easier" in terms of scaling, so it is supposed to be easier to do well in those subjects.
That being said, to get a good ATAR 95+ you'll NEED band 6 in everything basically
espec drama, you will have to ace drama otherwise it'll pull your atar down heaps, as was the case with my friends.

So sure, do the subjects and compare them to your friends, but at the end of the day dont go thinking that breezing through the course with 60% will be good, because thats what your friends classify as "good" in their subjects, you'll need to set your standards higher. Much higher.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)