Will I get caught?! (1 Viewer)

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
helper said:
Schools put in information on what options and texts are being studied so the Board can estimate how many markers are needed for each question but they don't say you have to keep to it.
yep but they also say that it's quite rare that someone can answer a question they haven't been taught, like some student decides that they're all hardcore and can do some random question cos they did the text in yr 10 or something.

anyway good luck to the OP, you better not slam my king lear essay in the externals.. :p

helper

HSC
N/A
ahen said:
yep but they also say that it's quite rare that someone can answer a question they haven't been taught, like some student decides that they're all hardcore and can do some random question cos they did the text in yr 10 or something.
Or the one who decides they don't know anything and tries to answer every question.

HSC
I personally don't think it's worth it... but remember, it's ultimately up to you.
helper said:
Or the one who decides they don't know anything and tries to answer every question.
Hahaha. :D

I wonder how many people each year do that during the HSC!

samuel slack

HSC
A guy I know did it in our half-yearlies
... he came out and he's like... wow I didn't know much for those questions. But I think I bluffed my way through them. When he got it back he's like oops. Lol.

bethrealistic

HSC
Maybe it'd be worth it to be prepared for both and then see which one you want to answer when you get in the exam?
A 20/20 prepared essay really depends on the question asked, and for King Lear they tend to throw in some awkward questions on occasion.

Although it IS giving yourself a lot of extra work...

scaredofthedark

HSC
ive been told by HSC markers that they can always tell when someone has answered a question about a topic they havent studied in class...

they might have enough info to get thru the essay or whatever, but compared to other students who have studied it for a term or so, their essay lacks a "certain sophistication"...

ehh its just what ive been told. if thats what you wanna do, and you feel confident in your knowledge of KL..well then i guess no one can really stop you hey.

good luck with it

T

Testpilot

pritnep said:
Nah no photo, at least there wasn't last year at my exam center.
Supervisors have photos to check student A is really student A.

HSC
apparently theyre bringing in this photo id thing. i think they start it this year cuz i didnt need one for ipt 2 years ago, and my friends didnt need it last year.

damn bos, adding more shit to piss us off during the exams.:mad1:

and the markers wont care what text/module youve chosen, they just mark what you give them. its like an option topic for the science subjects. you can do whatever module you want, but do you wanna do one thats dif to what youve been taught everyday and been assessed on?

HSC
Yeah, a couple of months ago, the principal came into our classroom and we had to sign something saying that that photo (they just used our Year 12 photos) was actually us.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
chocolate_lover said:
Yeah, a couple of months ago, the principal came into our classroom and we had to sign something saying that that photo (they just used our Year 12 photos) was actually us.
At my school, they've had this done over the past few years.

G

gaoOO

Oget said:
Hey all,

I changed my texts from Cloudstreet (modue B eng adv) to King Lear and that leaves me without a novel in my prescribed texts (I have Hamlet/Ros and Guil and Frontline as my other modules respectively).

I find out that its a requirement to have a novel a week before HSC exam. Uh oh.

Teacher says it is 'unlikely' I'll get caught.

Should I take the risk?
i'd say highly unlikely that you'll get caught out so if you're confident with Lear, go for it.

i'm sure the papers are divided to the question answered and i'm guessing they won't double check.

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
chocolate_lover said:
oh yeah!

i forgot about that

Unwant3d

It's A Boy !!
HSC
chocolate_lover said:
yurp we did this a week before graduation.

if they put a photo of us on our tables, most of the girls at my school will get distracted.

back to the changing text thing:
i agree with whoever said "lacks sohphistication" cause like you didnt do an assessment task for it, you havnt had the chance to get teachers feedback on questions, and probably wont know in depth cirtical info.
but smeh your choice.

Oget

HSC
Wow guys I didn't expect this to be a massive thread about my choice to change texts.

I have a very solid understanding of King Lear and my essay answers every possible question I've seen (trials and past papers).

The question is:

Would I get caught?

I don't think I will so right now I'm going ahead with it.

jayadore

She was a hurricane.
HSC
If you feel confident enough to do a different text, then go ahead and do it. I'm not sure if you'll get caught, I guess it depends on whether your school teaches everyone the same thing, or each class uses different texts. At my school, everyone learns the same thing.

However, I do know for religion if you don't do the options you were taught at school, they'll catch you as they do in fact check (so says my religion teacher anyway.) Maybe just call up the HSC advice line and ask?

Oget

HSC
jayadore said:
If you feel confident enough to do a different text, then go ahead and do it. I'm not sure if you'll get caught, I guess it depends on whether your school teaches everyone the same thing, or each class uses different texts. At my school, everyone learns the same thing.

However, I do know for religion if you don't do the options you were taught at school, they'll catch you as they do in fact check (so says my religion teacher anyway.) Maybe just call up the HSC advice line and ask?
You are ALLOWED to change texts and yes they are all marked together.

I am ALLOWED to change texts but I MUST have a novel. They would have to check to see if my other modules had a text to catch me.

~LEAH~

HSC
jayadore said:
Maybe just call up the HSC advice line and ask?
But if you call up the HSC advice line they ask for your student number (they could track you down:confused: lol) . They'd probably just tell you that you shouldn't anyway.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I am not an English teacher but I am a marker in Modern History and I teach with a number of English teachers.

The marking process is virtually the same in both subjects.

When you have finished your exam the supervisors pack them up and send them to the Marking Centre. At the centre the clerical staff divide them up according to the question answered. They don't check anything against the information given to them by the schools regarding topics.

All responses to the same question are marked by people in groups set up to mark that question e.g. all the King Lear questions will be marked by one set of markers. It is possible to get single responses from a centre - that will stand out in a subject like English although the marker could assume that you are the only student at your school doing that level of English or that you really liked that topic but the most common assumption is that you are doing a text that hasn't been studied in class. That isn't a problem as the marker will mark on what you present.

When the response has been double marked the clerical staff enter the marks into the computer.

The computer then highlights an area where a student has not done the correct combination of questions e.g. in Modern History if they do two questions from the National Studies and none from the International Studies then only one of the National Studies questions counts.

If the computer is designed to pick up whether you have done a novel or not then you will get caught and not get any marks for the section but as I said I don't teach English so I am not sure about the actual requirements of the course but if it is stated that you must do a novel and you don't have a novel response then the computer will pick it up.

Personally I would check more thoroughly the requirements of the exam before taking that sort of risk.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
Oget said:
You are ALLOWED to change texts and yes they are all marked together.

I am ALLOWED to change texts but I MUST have a novel. They would have to check to see if my other modules had a text to catch me.
I really wouldn't take the risk.

Good luck though. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)