• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

will the Business Studies exam ever ask...? (1 Viewer)

UNSW !!
HSC
Hi Everyone,

Will the Business Studies exam ever ask you to create any financial statements?

I've seen questions about components about a financial statement (gross profit, etc), but no "create a balance sheet for Business X" type questions...

Don't want to go out of my way to know EVERYTHING about these statements :)

Thanks!!!

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
No. At most, they'd make you fill in a balance sheet, but you wouldn't have to create one.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Hi Everyone,

Will the Business Studies exam ever ask you to create any financial statements?

I've seen questions about components about a financial statement (gross profit, etc), but no "create a balance sheet for Business X" type questions...

Don't want to go out of my way to know EVERYTHING about these statements :)

Thanks!!!
It's been asked in trials before (I think I saw it in the QATS and ARC trials), but I haven't seen it ever in the HSC or the more prominent trials (i.e. CSSA, Independent).

So it's possible, but highly unlikely.

Eddykungfu

HSC
Physically drawing them up isn't in yr 12 syllabus.

But if you know your statements, shoudn't be a problem.... If you think about it, they are testing our knowledge on the statements, not our ability to use up 10 mins of an exam drawing it up :p

Eddykungfu

HSC
You do, but you just don't have to PHYSICALLY draw the statements up

(E.G Collumns, headings, etc).

Sadiah

HSC
aye do we have to link our case study thoroughly to the financial statements, and the ratios bla bla bla? or can we just refer very briefly to it?

Eddykungfu

HSC
Or I could have not said that, and you wouldn't know for Tuesday, and consequently lose a few marks :).

Sadiah

HSC
Or I could have not said that, and you wouldn't know for Tuesday, and consequently lose a few marks :).
Okay. I'm sorry.

I appreciate your kind assistance.

Hopefully, I will bear your tip in my mind.

Heyy sorry one more question..you seem to be really good at business

so like, just to clarify..

for the extended response, you have to be talking about the case study in like every paragraph?

thanks

Eddykungfu

HSC
Not Rly -.- got 90 % in trials -.- Really Low Band 6 :(.

Oh well I done a lot of study since then.

I'm not saying One Case-Study per syllabus point to bug you. My teacher marked the 2nd extended response for 2 years.

Here is where I know from experience
I Got 11/20 for my extended response in the trial, because I was stressed ,and only remembered to add case studies with 3 MINS to go, despite all the prac papers I did :( :( :(. I also lost another mark in MC.

My teacher said, You MUST have a case study to support EACH syllabus point/paragraph.

and IF you don't remember/know any case studies, MAKE THEM UP. He said the BOS instructed that if students did not attempt to use ANY case studies at ALL, their maximum mark was 8/20...

I don't think I will ever forget case studies again now, (Once bitten, twice shy). Hopefully I can attain a Good band 6...

Last edited:

Sadiah

HSC
Not Rly -.- got 90 % in trials -.- Really Low Band 6 :(.

Oh well I done a lot of study since then.

I'm not saying One Case-Study per syllabus point to bug you. My teacher marked the 2nd extended response for 2 years.

Here is where I know from experience
I Got 11/20 for my extended response in the trial, because I was stressed ,and only remembered to add case studies with 3 MINS to go, despite all the prac papers I did :( :( :(. I also lost another mark in MC.

My teacher said, You MUST have a case study to support EACH syllabus point/paragraph.

and IF you don't remember/know any case studies, MAKE THEM UP. He said the BOS instructed that if students did not attempt to use ANY case studies at ALL, their maximum mark was 8/20...

I don't think I will ever forget case studies again now, (Once bitten, twice shy). Hopefully I can attain a Good band 6...
Haha your funny.

No, I think, from the way you describe yourself, you are likely to get a band 6.

Sorry if this is buggin you but...one more thing

Can you have only ONE case study flowin through out your essay...or do you have to have more than one?

thanks

Eddykungfu

HSC
My teacher gave me Tips on this too: (P.S He does tutoring as well, and his two students from last year achieved a 1st in state and 4th in state ranking for Business respectively, so He knows his shiz :p).

1. Use as MANY case studies as possible, and make sure they are relevant. He said when he was marking the extended responses, many candidates had just MEMORISED their case study material, and "Inserted in" the memorised paragraphs into the essay, with no relevance to syllabus point or question).

2. STAY AWAY FROM QANTAS. He said 75% of papers he marked were from Qantas, and that all the BOS markers know Qantas from back to front, so you can't BS.

3. Mention ALL the case studies that will be in your essay in the introduction (Even if it is just one point).

Thats all I can remember him saying.

Sadiah

HSC
My teacher gave me Tips on this too: (P.S He does tutoring as well, and his two students from last year achieved a 1st in state and 4th in state ranking for Business respectively, so He knows his shiz :p).

1. Use as MANY case studies as possible, and make sure they are relevant. He said when he was marking the extended responses, many candidates had just MEMORISED their case study material, and "Inserted in" the memorised paragraphs into the essay, with no relevance to syllabus point or question).

2. STAY AWAY FROM QANTAS. He said 75% of papers he marked were from Qantas, and that all the BOS markers know Qantas from back to front, so you can't BS.

3. Mention ALL the case studies that will be in your essay in the introduction (Even if it is just one point).

Thats all I can remember him saying.
Aww, your making me cry.

I only know one case study like in depth.

OrotonGroup.

Ahh well.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it, despite your critical remarks on my use of language. :D

Eddykungfu

HSC
Aww, your making me cry.

I only know one case study like in depth.

OrotonGroup.

Ahh well.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it, despite your critical remarks on my use of language. :D
With that being said, If you can utilise your Case studies and make sure they are VERY relevant to the question, this won't hinder your mark :D.

P.S Good work for staying away from QANTAS

Sadiah

HSC
With that being said, If you can utilise your Case studies and make sure they are VERY relevant to the question, this won't hinder your mark :D.

P.S Good work for staying away from QANTAS
As I said earlier, I only studied ONE case study. Will this affect my marks?

Oh but my case study is very relevant and unique as well.

thanks

Eddykungfu

HSC
The Rubric says

- Use your knowledge and relevant business case study/studies

You will not be marked DOWN on having 1, so long as you can justify properly, etc.

Eddykungfu

HSC
I mean, Barker College obtain lots of band 6's each year, and their Business Department CREATES a business for their year 12's to learn, as it covers each dot point.

It hasn't let them down.

But BSing a case study is a lot better than no-case study at all. That being said, it may be a little too late to be LEARNING full topics of case studies now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)