Will the UAI for Law drop without full fee paying students? (1 Viewer)

georules

HSC
Hey everyone,

I was wondering what you predict will happen to the UAI cut-off for Law at USyd with the removal of full fee paying students in 2009. Technically, with less full fee paying students and with the opening of the new Law building at Sydney in 2009 (potentially a greater capacity for students) the UAI cut-off should drop.

What are your thoughts?

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
yeh, but wouldn't that mean they would just open the door to more international full fee paying students, rather tahn taking more domestic CSP?

georules

HSC
Even if the UAI cut off remains high, is it possible that they still accept students who just miss out...say by 0.15 or so

I've heard that this happens and there could be the possibility of second round offers and what not.

Miss Winey

HSC
theoretically yes.
as there should be more spaces available for the same demand (hopefully)
But whether the faculty opens them to more commonwealth supported places? or to give them to full fee paying international is another story.
in the current economic climate, we do not know what the faculty might do.

Good luck!
and don't forget to try flexible entry

elliewolfenden

HSC
but its not likely to go up is it? im only clearing it by 0.10 as it is :S

mrated96

higginsl
HSC
Schroedinger said:
I'd say it'd be more likely to go up than to go down.
Your wrong. I talked to Gillian Triggs, dean of law. The cut-offs may stay the same but theres no way their going up. There are 50 more places being made for entry to be split between transferees and school leavers. Keep it on the low i think she liked me dont wana ruin gossip

doink

Clone
HSC
It will go down slightly but only because this years cohort isn't as intelligent as last years.

georules

HSC
elliewolfenden said:
but its not likely to go up is it? im only clearing it by 0.10 as it is :S
wow that's a great mark...i'm sure you'll get in.

my bets are it will go down..hopefully by 0.15 so i can get in! who knows

dp624

HSC
yeah dude, who freaking care - it's so hard to tell at this time
if people say it goes down - maybe false hope
if ppl say it goes up - you won't accept that answer
etcetc

xsjado

HSC
doink said:
It will go down slightly but only because this years cohort isn't as intelligent as last years.
yes but the UAI is a rank. So even is his years cohort isn't as intelligent as last years, UAIs won't be lower...

DaGizza

HSC
I went to the Usyd law lecture on Info day and they confirmed there are 50 extra CSP seats to fill the gap once left by full-fee paying students. However, they also said there is 25% more demand in combined law this year. But I think they were bullshitting that part because there has never been such a random increase (or decrease) before. They were at least exaggerating. So I reckon the UAI cutoff will drop but by how much, I dunno.

nandayo

ismist
HSC
DaGizza said:
I went to the Usyd law lecture on Info day and they confirmed there are 50 extra CSP seats to fill the gap once left by full-fee paying students. However, they also said there is 25% more demand in combined law this year. But I think they were bullshitting that part because there has never been such a random increase (or decrease) before. They were at least exaggerating. So I reckon the UAI cutoff will drop but by how much, I dunno.
That's odd. During the lecture I went to (the one after midday) the guy in charge of admissions said (and I quote): "The demand this year is roughly the same as that in 2008". I think he said there were like 1,200 applications thus far? Maybe a bit less. But nobody who spoke even hinted demand had risen - they seemed to say it was pretty much in line with last year's.

DaGizza

HSC
Oh... hmm yeah I doubt there was a significant increase in demand anyway. The guy at the lecture that I went to said it straight after somebody asked him if extra CSP places would make the UAI drop so it sounded quite defensive. He said that the UAI is very likely to "fluctuate" lol. He didn't say increase or decrease even though chances are it will go down, which is a good thing for recent HSC finishers and 1st year uni students wanting to transfer but don't have or cbb to spend the extra money.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)