Will you be bricked in the head with study? (1 Viewer)

Collin

HSC
N/A
Because it raises my chances of a succesful transfer to higher science courses after year 1, via the scaling process, said the advisor chick during enrolment day.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
geez, i thought we'd left the scaling process behind last year ;)

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by veanz
...is anyone using one of those voice recorder thingys to put on the lectueres desk?...
yeah, i've got one of those- i prolly will b using it, but i was told that u had to gain permission from the lecturer bfore u use it. :)

Originally posted by hipsta_jess
actually, scaling still exists in uni. as well- if u do advanced subjects, u get scaled good. (i.e u only need to get like 75% to get HD's for eg. - that type of scaling). :D

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
Originally posted by freaking_out
yeah, i've got one of those- i prolly will b using it, but i was told that u had to gain permission from the lecturer bfore u use it. :)
man, i thought recorders were illegal at uni
hmmm, cant ya just record from where ur sitting? like, wouldnt other people steal ur recorder and stuff at the end of the lecture?

perfectionist

I M SpEcIaL....SpEcIaL...
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by veanz
i think may concern is being overwhelmed by it all and then stressing out for no apparent reason - making new friends is kinda scary too...

Yeah don't worry, ALWAYS keep in mind that Everyone's in the same boat :) Everyone is starting the Uni at the same time...and everything is new for everyone :)

If some people seem confident, does not mean they are :rolleyes:

so yeah, don't worry :)

Last edited:

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by tooheyz
man, i thought recorders were illegal at uni
hmmm, cant ya just record from where ur sitting? like, wouldnt other people steal ur recorder and stuff at the end of the lecture?
no its not illegal- i know many ppl. who use it...also u don't really need to put it next to the lecturer to record, u can record from where ur sitting (provided that enuf sound comes to u, eg. from a speaker)...and ofcourse, its best to sit at the front to record with those things as well (coz u get better sound that way). :)

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
no its not illegal- i know many ppl. who use it...also u don't really need to put it next to the lecturer to record, u can record from where ur sitting (provided that enuf sound comes to u, eg. from a speaker)...and ofcourse, its best to sit at the front to record with those things as well (coz u get better sound that way). :)
talk abt recorders, i am buggin my dad to get me an mp3 player.... cuz apparently some fwnd of mine in uni uses it, n mah mum's lyk fully endorse it... so she asks my dad to get one for me... ^^

teehee

HSC
i heard that every lecture is available on tape from the library......???

Wyvern

HSC
Isn't there lecture notes available on the net for most subjects, perhaps we have to purchase them?

Even if I recorded all the lectures I don't think I would be able to listen to 30 hours of tape before an exam, much rather read the textbook.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by xiao1985
talk abt recorders, i am buggin my dad to get me an mp3 player.... cuz apparently some fwnd of mine in uni uses it, n mah mum's lyk fully endorse it... so she asks my dad to get one for me... ^^
what- an mp3 player? is that meant to b for educational purposes? :D

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
what- an mp3 player? is that meant to b for educational purposes? :D
yea of cuz!!! u can record the lectures... =p blehz

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
yeah man my mp3 player can voice record for 11 hours :)
on flash memory

proived i havent got much songs stored on it already.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by tooheyz
yeah man my mp3 player can voice record for 11 hours :)
on flash memory

proived i havent got much songs stored on it already.
btw, is the memory usually built in?
bleh- i still prefer the traditional microcassette recorders! :eek:

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
*:p*
I actually *write* notes, on a lecture pad. Not that I can read half of it, but writing tends to allow me memory to work better.
Actually, I correct myself, some people do use exercise books as it's easier to sort your subjects out. Lecture pads are just convenient esp. if you're in a rush.

Most lecture notes are available for free on the intranet, but their degree of completeness will vary a lot with each lecturer.
Some you can buy as well neatly packaged, some lecturers don't really do them...

The idea of recording lectures is that you can listen to it again soon after and check your notes, not a marathon run in stuvac. :p (do the maths, lecture hpw * 13 wks in sem) It's better to sit close to front as there's gonna be environmental noise and background static.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by BlackJack
*:p*
I actually *write* notes, on a lecture pad. Not that I can read half of it, but writing tends to allow me memory to work better.
Actually, I correct myself, some people do use exercise books as it's easier to sort your subjects out. Lecture pads are just convenient esp. if you're in a rush.

Most lecture notes are available for free on the intranet, but their degree of completeness will vary a lot with each lecturer.
Some you can buy as well neatly packaged, some lecturers don't really do them...

The idea of recording lectures is that you can listen to it again soon after and check your notes, not a marathon run in stuvac. :p (do the maths, lecture hpw * 13 wks in sem) It's better to sit close to front as there's gonna be environmental noise and background static.
so do u have a lecture note for per subject? if not, do u just rip out the notes and keep them in a folder for each subject?

yeah, the recording lectures, is meant to b listened to straight after, so u can complete ya notes or go over the things that u didn't understand and stuff. :D

Collin

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by hipsta_jess
Unfortunately not ;)

---
Oh but I can't wait to start it though, knowing how much Xiao should kick my arse, what was your 4 unit mark? For the sake of saving face, I shall not disclose my mark :rofl:

Originally posted by perfectionist
Yeah don't worry, ALWAYS keep in mind that Everyone's in the same boat :) Everyone is starting the Uni at the same time...and everything is new for everyone :)

If some people seem confident, does not mean they are :rolleyes:

so yeah, don't worry :)
I concur.. many people can SHOW confidence.. but it doesn't mean that they are. I mean, just like Perfectionist elaborated upon.. everyone is in the same boat.. so everyone is in essence getting a fair go at the social side of things.. and chances are everyone deep down is nervous to some extent! :)

Yeah.. it would also be too hard to enforce a rule if there was one against it.. anyone with a labtop could just do it in the background via Sound Recorder etc..

Originally posted by Wyvern
Isn't there lecture notes available on the net for most subjects, perhaps we have to purchase them?

Even if I recorded all the lectures I don't think I would be able to listen to 30 hours of tape before an exam, much rather read the textbook.
Oh it's not that bad.. during HSC in the long bus trips I'd have nothing really productive to do, so I recorded my own notes and listened to them, quite worthwhile actually. ;)

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by JKDDragon
....Oh but I can't wait to start it though, knowing how much Xiao should kick my arse, what was your 4 unit mark? For the sake of saving face, I shall not disclose my mark :rofl:...
yeah, i'll b doing the advanced maths course with both of you's as well- i'm gonna get wooped by u two's for sure. :D

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
yeah, i'll b doing the advanced maths course with both of you's as well- i'm gonna get wooped by u two's for sure. :D
And me, don't forget the /pwnage I will induce on your behind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)