Will you be penalised if you use Ext 1 method in a 2U paper? (1 Viewer)

obviouslyme

HSC
Hello people,

I am starting to get most of my formula mixed up (I should really start writing notes for maths).

I am just wondering will you get penalised if you use the skills in 3U to work out questions in a 2U maths paper?

Say for example, integration... You see a really really hard question in 2U but you know you can work that out with "Integration with substitution" which is a 3U topic. Will you get penalised if you work it out that way?

I'm not sure because first, it's a disadvantage to the 2U students as they haven't learn these skills. Second, maybe the hsc markers are 2U teachers and SOME might not know what you are doing in your working out? I've heard that if your markers don't understand your working out they will penalise you. This has happened at my school ... i know some people got their papers penalised because they used their tutor's method (and the teacher didn't understand it) and penalised it even if the person got a correct answer.

Just wondering and be on the safe side! :)

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
I think it's best to stick with 2U methods in 2U, 3U methods in 3U. I've asked my tutor about using 4U methods in 3U and its generally not recommended. If you use it wrong, you automatically get 0 because it's not part of the syllabus.

HSC
No, you will not. However, if it you get it wrong by the 'more advanced' method, it will be frowned upon and you will lose considerable marks.

The way the HSC papers are designed, no student of 3U will have significant advantages with the skills they learn in 3U (e.g. substitution or binomial theorem) in the 2U paper. Same with 4U and 3U.

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
Of course you can. I would regularly use 3U methods in 2U, and 4U methods in 3U. Some very hard questions can be made very easy by applying stuff you learned in higher level maths.
But as said before, make sure that the method is applicable because if you get it wrong, you will get zero. You won't get any marks for working out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)