Windows N00bie question: updating win95 to win98 (1 Viewer)

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
OK...please dont laugh.

Im forced to use windows at work (am a proud mac user) and I wish to update my ibook/laptop ( I am using virtual PC 6 and win95) to match my workdesktop (win 98)...am not interested in XP so please dont suggest it!

Is there an easy way to do it so it preserves my settings and software?

Only use VPC/win95 on my laptop for admin stuff (markbook and reports) but 95 doesnt play well with USB (sometimes works, sometimes doesnt) and I probably should upgrade to 98 anyway as its what I use at work.

Any simple suggestions would be appreciated.

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
Put in the Win98 Upgrade disk and hit go =)

Only thing is that upgrading windows isn't always 100% perfect. But if you can back up before you do it, shouldn't be a problem.

Poor Ibook.. forced to run Windows w/ Virtual PC..

equiski

HSC
How about the awesomeness which is win2k?

Otherwise, if you install windows 98 over 95 i'm pretty sure it asks to whether you want to preserve your settings.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
equiski said:
How about the awesomeness which is win2k?

Otherwise, if you install windows 98 over 95 i'm pretty sure it asks to whether you want to preserve your settings.
no it doesn't only update disk updates, not like winxp cd where there is a choice

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
thansk to all for suggestions.

I will have to find the update disk (wasnt given one!!) as I only have the win98 CD....yeah, it sucks being forced to use winblows when you are used to the beauty of X!!

as for w2k....umm, no thanks. I only want to use it for small things so why bother? (hence my saying no to XP)

But thanks again....gotta find me an update disk now......

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
w2k is about a million times more stable than w98, at least that's what I found! (i've run every single build of windows since 3.1 (well, dos as well) to XP except XP home and win2k3)

but then because you're an old fogey i suppose using oldschool windows is good for you snappy :D

also, if you want to save your software you can probably just burn the whole folders onto CD or move onto another computer. The registry in windows is pretty dodgy as far as integrity of programs goes.. just make sure it works, and you'll be able to keep all your solitaire games :p

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
superbird said:
does windows95 even hav internet?
lol...at least I hope you are kidding...

Why would I want to run W2K when I have the power of linux powering my machine?!!!!

3 years on X and never a crash or a hiccup!

Will try the update thing if I can get a w98 update disk (anyone...j/jking) or try what anti suggested in moving files around as the machine I use at work is w98 (time to bust out some old school networking!!) and as I said, I have w95 emulated on my mac just for marking and reporting (I just dont have the original exe files for my software as I have changed schools etc but I still want to use what I have!) so I dont really want to waste space and time putting a 'super dooper' (yes, Im being sarcastic) OS on to run (+ I dont trust software that dials home) some very basic programs. As I said, I just want some stability in USB thats all

but thanks again to all for replying

fatmuscle

HSC
go win2003 server!!!

btw, make sure it is 98SE, not 98

after updating, u might have to spend a significant amount of itme patching it up.

as phoebe said, win2k is a lot more stable than 98

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
yeah...I have the 98SE disk but not the update disk....learnt about 98 vs 98SE the hard way when I was a network admin way back when........hence my dislike of all things windows!!

I have decided to not really bother as I cant find an update disk...maybe at Xmas but not at the moment (when I need it!)

thanks again to all for replying

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)