Wireless Broadband: Which one should I get? (1 Viewer)

bawd

HSC
I've you've read one of my other threads on this IT forum, you'll know that I'm purchasing a MacBook very soon (in the upcoming school holidays, yay!) and I'll be needing a new internet connection because my desktop is still stuck to Bigpond's Cable Broadband.

First off, I'd like to ask which company provides the best Wireless broadband (best meaning fast, great availability, decent price >$60, being able to bundle with home phone service maybe) and how to connect both my desktop computer and MacBook to said Wireless internet service (what extra equipment will I need). Or maybe I should just sell my desktop (but I don't want my aunt touching my MacBook :mad1:, lol).

The reason I haven't bothered googling myself is because nearly every Wireless provider flaunts their service as the one with 'fastest, greatest coverage in Australia.' And besides, an opinion from people who have actually used the service would better.

Anyway, my budget is less than $60 since my current plan is $59.95 on Bigpond Cable with 12GB allowance, then capping. However, I think I don't even use that much anymore because lately I have been using the computer strictly for educational purposes, some email/chatting and perhaps the occasional youtube video/latest song. So, I'm guessing around 5 - 6GB is all I really need per month, preferably on a flexible service where I can easily switch to greater/lesser GB allowance.

Current Services I can possible bundle with (don't really mind) : two Optus 24 month mobile phone plans, one prepaid Optus mobile, Telstra home phone.

EDIT: A little sidenote I forgot to ask, can you connect to your Wireless internet service whilst on the move (say in public transport) and is this different from mobile internet? Also, can you connect your laptop to your school's internet service and how?

Last edited:

xXBuGzXx

HSC
I am not really a Pro in this kind of things. Actually I suck in getting the best deals out there. However, my friends are different. They criticize every single deals there is and change almost every month (exaggeration) for a better deal.

Here is what I heard from one of my buddies. He said he is currently on TPG. I don't really know this ISP but I guess you could look it yourself. He said you can get the best deals in this ISP. More download size and faster speed for minimal cost. Well, I kinda trust him coz he is an anime and movie download freak but very keen with regards to the cost of the deal. So I suggest you look for this ISP and look for yourself if they have deals that will meet you needs.

BTW, I have a question to ask. I know this will sound dumb but I really am tired of searching google for answers. Here it goes, "Is broadband and cable internet connection similar?"

Thanks and I hope TPG helps.;)

bawd

HSC
xXBuGzXx said:
I am not really a Pro in this kind of things. Actually I suck in getting the best deals out there. However, my friends are different. They criticize every single deals there is and change almost every month (exaggeration) for a better deal.

Here is what I heard from one of my buddies. He said he is currently on TPG. I don't really know this ISP but I guess you could look it yourself. He said you can get the best deals in this ISP. More download size and faster speed for minimal cost. Well, I kinda trust him coz he is an anime and movie download freak but very keen with regards to the cost of the deal. So I suggest you look for this ISP and look for yourself if they have deals that will meet you needs.

BTW, I have a question to ask. I know this will sound dumb but I really am tired of searching google for answers. Here it goes, "Is broadband and cable internet connection similar?"

Cable is a form of Broadband connection (like ADSL, ADSL2) which basically uses a Cable modem that applies the technology used to transmit Cable TV. Since it is a physical cable, Cable internet tends to be one of the fastest Broadband services available. All this from five minutes of googling.

bawd

HSC
xXBuGzXx said:

BTW, thanks for the site. TPG seems really cheap. Also looking at iPrimus which is equally cheap. However, they do not offer true Wireless internet (only Wireless LAN ADSL2+, various other wireless home networks) but I've done a bit of research and Wireless is very costly and still at risk of losing connection if there is funky weather.

bawd

HSC
sXcGuRl69aU said:
get the prepaid optus one and tell me what it's like
No, you get it and tell me what it's like. :) I think I'm getting ADSL2+ with a wireless modem and router now anyway, much cheaper and better value for money. I might buy prepaid Wireless once I start getting a job or when it gets cheaper.

04er

HSC
Whatever you do stay away from telstra, been giving me the shits for the past 1 month (i'm on cable).

Tpg ADSL 2+ is the way to go, real wireless is just too expensive.

Your school should tell you how to connect to their network (assuming this is permissable at all).

EDIT: just realised you are on telstra cable too. Has it been stuffing up for you too?

bawd

HSC
04er said:
Whatever you do stay away from telstra, been giving me the shits for the past 1 month (i'm on cable).

Your school should tell you how to connect to their network (assuming this is permissable at all).

EDIT: just realised you are on telstra cable too. Has it been stuffing up for you too?
Bigpond Cable is ridiculously slow for me, even at the beginning of the month. I'm contemplating getting TPG ADSL 2+ as it's cheaper and more downloads allowed. Should I get VoIP with it as well?

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
bawd said:
Bigpond Cable is ridiculously slow for me, even at the beginning of the month. I'm contemplating getting TPG ADSL 2+ as it's cheaper and more downloads allowed. Should I get VoIP with it as well?
get a wireless modem/router so you do not need another internet connection

xXBuGzXx

HSC
I am currently on Optus Fusion. It provides 20GB downloads in internet and free telephone call in any Optus user (mobile or phone). This is really a good deal for us since almost all of my relatives are on Optus.

The internet connection, however, is a bit slower. Me and my friends always compare download speed and I always get the crapiest. I wanna change the deals we have in Optus but we have a 2 year contract at the moment. coughdontaskme,askmymomcough.

Well, Telstra...from what I've heard...is not a good ISP. They charge you if you go over the limit. In Optus, if you go over the limit, they just slow down your connection speed but they don't charge extra money if you go over it. You can still download and stream online (you only need to be patient, hahaha).

This is only based on my personal observation. I can't provide justification in any of them.

BTW, the deals really matters. If you need the net for downloading (includes online streaming) then get one that has higher speed and bigger download allowance in it. If you are not a download freak and you only use it for MSN, bebo and messaging; then low DL allowance but higher speed is good for you.

I really wanna change our ISP now, but I got no control over it. I don't pay the bills so it is really their decision. If I will to decide, I'll choose TPG. With TPG, I can download anime for less than 30 minutes.

soap~

Legal Eagle
HSC
I have Optus wireless (prepaid) for a portable connection, it's ok but it's not nearly as quick or stable as my ADSL2+ at home.

Though really, if cable is working for you then there's no real reason you need to change. Just get a wireless AP/router (provided your current cable modem provides an ethernet connection, not USB).

If cable has been causing trouble for you, ADSL2+ would be the ideal replacement. I'd suggest iiNet or Internode - they're both good value for money and good quality. TPG is ok -- whilst some will swear by them being perfect there is a reason why they're cheaper ;)
Your best point of call for price is broadband choice, http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/ and use the whirlpool forums to research the ISP for any troubles other users might be having with them. Just keep in mind the forums have a reputation for people whinging but not praising, so use your judgement in weighing up users' posts. :)

bawd

HSC
soap~ said:
I have Optus wireless (prepaid) for a portable connection, it's ok but it's not nearly as quick or stable as my ADSL2+ at home.

Though really, if cable is working for you then there's no real reason you need to change. Just get a wireless AP/router (provided your current cable modem provides an ethernet connection, not USB).

If cable has been causing trouble for you, ADSL2+ would be the ideal replacement. I'd suggest iiNet or Internode - they're both good value for money and good quality. TPG is ok -- whilst some will swear by them being perfect there is a reason why they're cheaper ;)
Your best point of call for price is broadband choice, http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/ and use the whirlpool forums to research the ISP for any troubles other users might be having with them. Just keep in mind the forums have a reputation for people whinging but not praising, so use your judgement in weighing up users' posts. :)
Thanks a lot. My current cable connection totally sucks and ADSL2+ would be definitely faster, no matter what company. I'm sticking with TPG. :) BTW, are there any capability issues with using a Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router on a desktop PC (late 2007)? Does my PC need to have some sort of wireless card in it? I know there will be no problems with my MacBook because Apple have built the latest Airport Wi-Fi card into it, but I'm not very tech savvy.

HSC
TPG only just recently updated the ADSL 2+ plans to include more quota,
the 59.95 now has 35+35gb downloads, while the 49.95 now has 25+25

bawd

HSC
lpfreak said:
TPG only just recently updated the ADSL 2+ plans to include more quota,
the 59.95 now has 35+35gb downloads, while the 49.95 now has 25+25
Wow! That's awesome. I'll be calling up to cancel BigPond in a few days. Do you
how many days does it take for TPG to be set up, including shipping of the modem? :)

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
04er said:

what do you consider to be expensive?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)