Wireless questions (1 Viewer)

ReaveR

HSC
Asking for a friend who's lost. I'm lost too =(
My friend yesterday bought and setup a Netgear 54g wireless network (I think a long time ago Winston said he was on this?) and the setup did not run into any major troubles.

Until he downloaded something. He's on Optus Cable but can only download at ~120KB/s. Ran the Optus speed test, returned a value of around 1100 Kbps, where normally it'd be four times that.

Any ideas? It shouldn't be limited by the limitations of the g network should it? o_0

Edit: "It shouldn't be limited by the limitations" sounds funny...

sunny

meh.
HSC
You cannot expect top notch speeds on cable. 120kb/s is a decent download speed. Speeds depend on network congestion, the server speed, location and a heap of other things between you and the server.

Winston

HSC
I didn't get the net gear heh got the D-Link, however my download speed wasn't affected at all... it's perfect actually. With WEP setup :)

ReaveR

HSC
Originally posted by sunny
You cannot expect top notch speeds on cable. 120kb/s is a decent download speed.
Yupyup, but its almost a quarter of his normal speed lol

Yup, setup WEP. Slowed it even more hehe

sunny

meh.
HSC
Originally posted by ReaveR
Yupyup, but its almost a quarter of his normal speed lol

Yup, setup WEP. Slowed it even more hehe
There is no 'normal'. Really, there isn't. :)

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by sunny
There is no 'normal'. Really, there isn't. :)
you never know, you could have metal support stuctures in your house. That reduces signal strength massively.

How is the speed of copying files from router room to your room?

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
I have the same setup (netgear and optus) and mine is fine. I am going to a mac however ...

ReaveR

HSC
Actually he's fixed it, dunno what he did.
Thanks everyone.

ReaveR

HSC
Hmm, got my own questions now, although not really about wireless.

My network at home is on a wireless Netgear MR814 Router (802.11b), which is then connected to the net through a Netcomm NB1300 ADSL modem, which is a router/modem combination. I'm trying to foward ports to get BitTorrent to run a proper speeds, but I don't know which one to foward from. Both, in their settings, say that they're acting as DHCP servers and I don't know what to do at all...if I'm lucky my BT can run at 1kb/s ^^ (on 512). What can I do?

sunny

meh.
HSC
BT has specific ports is uses. Check your BT client to see what ports it is using. By default it is 6881-6889 before version 3.2 and after 3.2 it is 6881-6999.

BT doesn't always give consistent speeds, you can't always expect fast downloads because you have a fast connection.

ReaveR

HSC
Yeah, opened those ports. Doesn't seem to be working, so I thought it might have something to do with my setup, but meh.

Didn't say I wanted fast either, just wanted it to work. At like, over 0.1 kB/s =/

sunny

meh.
HSC
Sorry I missed the part where you said the problem was because the router was on DHCP, and you didn't know where to forward to.

In the MR814 configuration, you can set the DHCP to give out the same IP address to the same devices everytime; this essentially gives you fixed IPs for you to port forward to.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
hmm check out how many seeds the file has which your downloading. if theres shit all seeds but heaps of leechers, its not uncommon for you to get speeds like 0.1kb/s.

ReaveR

HSC
Nah there's always seeds and of course leechers =/
Like in Client I check Advanced details and all. I reckon its just my setup.

Edit: Forgot to mention, friend who's connceted to his ADSL modem through USB gets better speeds, so yeah. Didn't even open any ports either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)