Women who wear burkhas on the street in France face fines of more than £700 (1 Viewer)

Sadiah

HSC
veils in public will be liable to a fine of more than £700 under strict new laws being formulated in France.

The amount could be doubled for Muslim men who force their wives or other female members of their family to cover their faces.
Jean-Francois Cope, president of Nicolas Sarkozy's ruling UMP Party in the French parliament, said the new legislation was intended to protect the 'dignity' and 'security' of women.

He is set to file the draft law in the National Assembly after Mr Sarkozy said veils are 'not welcome' as they intimidate and alienate non-Muslims, especially in a secular country like France.

'We want a ban in public areas,' said Mr Cope, making clear that the veil would not be allowed in public buildings, nor on the streets of France, as it encourages extremism.
Mr Cope said: 'The wearing of the burkha will be subject to a fine, probably of the 4th class, which is to say 750 euros.'
He said the fine would apply to 'all people on the public street whose face is entirely covered'.
A parliamentary inquiry into the wearing of all-body burkhas and niqabs is due to publish its recommendations next month.
In earlier debates Mr Cope said: 'Permanently masking one's face in public spaces is not an expression of individual liberty. It's a negation of oneself, a negation of others, a negation of social life.'
But he conceded that a complete ban faced certain legal obstacles, including a possible challenge before the European Court of Human Rights on the grounds that it limits religious freedom.
The burkha is a full-body covering worn largely in Afghanistan with a mesh screen over the eyes, and the niqab is a full-body veil with slits for the eyes.
President Sarkozy has called them 'a sign of subservience and debasement that imprison women', saying they are 'not welcome in France'.
The country's immigration minister Eric Besson has also described them as 'an affront to national identity'.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1241293/Women-wear-burkhas-street-France-face-fines-700.html#ixzz0bvdOayJd

:hammer:
That's a violation of the human right to freedom of religion.

Similarly, what about the nuns who also wear a form of a veil? Aren't they prohibited in doing so in France?

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Their faces are not covered to to the extent where they can be mistaken for a walking talking mailbox.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
This is a good thing

because it means the Muslims will declare Jihad on France and kill those faggy bastards

Sadiah

HSC
I haven't read through the entire thread, nor did I read through the article, so I don't know if this has been mentioned. But Burkhas only refer to that covering which covers the entire body.

like so:

so sexy and mysterious.
You're not entirely correct. The term "Burkha" refers to the covering of the entire body, and the hair. However, not the face. The term that describes tha covering of the face is "Naqaab".

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
You're not entirely correct. The term "Burkha" refers to the covering of the entire body, and the hair. However, not the face. The term that describes tha covering of the face is "Naqaab".
Burqa covers the face, the hijab doesn't.

HSC
Even though the whole notion of covering your face is absurd imo, and is completely unnessecary Islamically, banning an article of clothing is farcical.
Why are people under the impression that the niqab/hijab is a tool of oppression? Despite the contrary, many Muslim females who have put it on as their own choice (which it must be), see it as a means of liberation and becoming united in the global Muslim sisterhood.

How about if I want to walk the streets of France shawled up for fashion reasons, trying to emulate a gypsy/bohemian look?

The entire issue is discriminatory.

But...like aforementioned, covering your face is totally unnessecary and blatantly stupid, and I definitely don't condone it.

Sadiah

HSC
Even though the whole notion of covering your face is absurd imo, and is completely unnessecary Islamically, banning an article of clothing is farcical.
Why are people under the impression that the niqab/hijab is a tool of oppression? Despite the contrary, many Muslim females who have put it on as their own choice (which it must be), see it as a means of liberation and becoming united in the global Muslim sisterhood.

How about if I want to walk the street of France shawled up for fashion reasons, trying to emulate a gypsy/bohemian look?

The entire issue is discriminatory.

But...like aforementioned, covering your face is totally unnessecary and blatantly stupid, and I definitely don't condone it.
I respect your opinion and am not against it, however, I believe if one wishes to cover her face as well then she should not be stopped, and similarly, no one should victimise her either.

To cover up is a sign of modesty anyway.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
The Hijab covers the hair.

The Burqa covers the body.

The Naqaab covers the face.
this is also what my mum says (so it must be right!).

also, burqas and niqabs and hijabs arent even necessary, they choose to wear it (or their husbands force them to, lol :()

Sadiah

HSC
this is also what my mum says (so it must be right!).

also, burqas and niqabs and hijabs arent even necessary, they choose to wear it (or their husbands force them to, lol :()
lol.

No, let me tell you something contemporary mate. Many girls/women I know these days, they choose personally to wear the hijab/Burqa/Niqab, but their husbands go against them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)