wonderful- not- water dot points (1 Viewer)

punk_tartan

HSC
im having conflicting views of information on the syllabus dot pooint on water for the chemical monitoring and management...... "describr the methods used to purify mass water supplies". if anyone could give me ahand id be much appreciated. willing to swap information

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
punk_tartan said:
im having conflicting views of information on the syllabus dot pooint on water for the chemical monitoring and management...... "describr the methods used to purify mass water supplies". if anyone could give me ahand id be much appreciated. willing to swap information
Dreamerish*~ said:
Note: The following procedures for testing water quality are all QUANTITATIVE

TESTING FOR THE CONCENTRATIONS OF COMMON IONS

Electrical conductivity can be used to measure the concentration of dissolved salts present as ions, called salinity. The units are microsiemens per centimetre (µS cm-1). Because ionic compounds conduct electricity in solution, the more dissolved salts (ions), the higher the conductivity. Water with an electrical conductivity of less than 280 µm cm-1 is suitable for irrigation. Concentration of ions can also be measured in ppm or mg L-1.

Atomic Absorption Spectroscopy (AAS) can be used for determining the concentration of many metallic ions in water samples. It relies on the fact that when electrons of an atom absorb light of a specific wavelength, they gain enough energy to jump to a higher energy level. The atomic absorption spectrometer consists of:
  • Cathode Lamp - which is made from the same metal as the one being tested
  • Flame or Furnace - into which the sample solution is sprayed, the heat of the flame or furnace makes the metal atoms gaseous
  • Filter or Monochromator - which selects the specific wavelength of light to be measured
  • Detector - which measures the amount of light recieved (that is, the total amount of light given from the cathode lamp minus the amount of light absorbed by the metal atoms)
  • Processor - which calculates the concentration of the metal ion in solution from the amount of light recieved.
Basically, when the sample solution is sprayed into the flame or furnace, the electrons in the metal atoms absorb some of the energy from the cathode lamp. The rest of the light passes through to the detector to be measured, and the concentration of the metal ion in the sample is calculated from the amount of light absorbed.

Ion-selective Electrodes (ISE) are also available for determining ion concentrations in water. Similar to pH electrodes which measure specifically H+ in water, the ISE measures the concentration of any specific ion. The change in electrode voltage between a reference electrode and the indicator electrode is related to the concentration of the specific ion being measured. The ISE can detect ion concentrations as low as ppb. As with AAS, a series of dilute standards are used to establish a calibration graph.

TESTING FOR ACIDITY

Potable water should have a pH between 6.5-8.5. The acidity of water is tested using acid-base indicators or pH meters. The pH electrode must be calibrated against buffer solutions of known pH.

Once the pH is measured, the concentration of H+ in the sample can be calculated by using [H+ = 10-pH.

TESTING FOR TOTAL DISSOLVED SOLIDS (TDS)

By evaporation: Natural water samples contain a wide range of dissolved inorganic salts and organic materials. Salt water in the oceans contain very high levels of mineral ions mainly in the form of sodium and chloride ions. Reservoir water supplies contain variable amounts of dissolved solids. To measure the TDS of water, a sample must first be filtered to remove undissolved particles. A known volume of filtrate is then evaporated and the mass of solid residue remaining is determined gravimentrically.

By using a conductivity meter: Most dissolved solids such as NaCl are ionic salts. The greater the concentration of dissolved salt, the higher the electrical conductivity. Electrical conductivity measurements can be made using a small meter.

TESTING FOR WATER HARDNESS

Hard water contains high levels of calcium, magnesium and aluminium ions. See my previous post for the relationship between water quality and the concentration in ppm of these ions.

To test water hardness, soap is used. While soft water forms a lather with soap, hard water does not, because in the presence of calcium or magnesium ions, the soap precipitates out as a "scum":

Ca2+ + 2Na stearate (soap) --> Ca (stearate) + 2Na+
"Stearate" is used to make the equation more simple. Soap is composed of sodium or potassium salts of long chain alkanoic acids such as stearic acid.

TESTING FOR TURBIDITY

Turbidity is measured in nephelometric turbidity units (NTU).

Nephelometry: A meter is used to measure the percentage of light transmitted through a standard depth of water. As light is passed through the water sample, some is scattered by suspended particles. The remaining light is transmitted. The intensity of the light scattered at 90º allows the turbidity of the water sample to be determined. The nephelometer must also be calibrated using a series of standards.

Gravimetric methods: A measured volume of water is filtered through a preweighed filter paper, which is then dried and reweighed and the concentration of solid calculated.

Secchi Disc: A disc which contains a cross at the bottom. It is lowered into the water being tested, and the moment the cross can no longer be seen, the depth of water is recorded. Similarly, a measuring cylinder with a cross at the bottom can be filled with the water sample until the cross can no longer be seen.

TESTING FOR DISSOLVED OXYGEN (DO)

Oxygen is usually present in concentrations of 6-9 ppm. At concentrations of lower than 5 ppm, aquatic organisms begin to suffocate.

Oxygen-sensitive Electrode: Dissolved oxygen meters are based on electrochemical cells. The most common type of probe uses a gold or platinum electrode and a silver electrode in a KCl electrolyte solution. The voltage applied between the gold/platinum and silver electrodes does not cause electrolysis until oxygen reaches the electrolyte solution. The electrodes and electrolyte are separated from the water being sampled by a plastic membrane that oxygen can diffuse through. The amount of electrolysis is proportional to the amount of oxygen. The DO level is measured by a milliammeter.

Winkler Method: (This may look a little confusing, and I still can't write the equations from memory. Don't worry, we don't need it. :p As long as we know the oxygen-sensitive electrode method, who gives a toss about Winkler.) The Winkler method is a way of fixing the amount of dissolved oxygen in a sample and determining the DO by titration at a later time.

Manganese (II) ions and hydroxide ions are added to the water sample. The amount of insoluble brown manganese (IV) oxide produced depends on the amount of DO:

2Mn2+ + 4OH- + O2(aq) --> 2MnO2(s) + 2H2O(l)

Acidified iodide solution reacts with the MnO2, producing a yellow iodine solution.

2MnO2(s) + 8H+ + 4I- --> 2Mn2+ + 4H2O(l) + 2I2(aq)

The iodine released is titrated against a standard sodium thiosulphate solution from a burette containing starch indicator. The starch indicator forms a blue colour with iodine, and the blue colour disappears at the end point.

2I2(aq) + 4S2O32-(aq) --> 4I- + 4S2O32-(aq)

It can be seen that each dissolved O2 molecule gives 2MnO2 which gives 2I2 which reacts with 4S2O32-(aq). Thus for each molecule of thiosulphate used at the end in the titration there was 1/4 mole of dissolved oxygen in the original sample.

When water samples are collected from different locations, identical containers, identical sealing systems and the same collection procedures must be used. It is important that the containers are completely filled with water so there is no air space, and that they are kept out of light so algae present cannot add to the oxygen level by photosynthesis.

TESTING FOR BIOCHEMICAL OXYGEN DEMAND (BOD)

BOD is the quantity of oxygen needed by aerobic bacteria to break down all the organic matter in a water sample. The higher the BOD, the greater the pollution in water. This is because organic waste requires oxygen for aerobic decomposition.

Oxygen Probe: Saturate a measured sample of water with oxygen, measure the dissolved oxygen concentration using the oxygen-sensitive electrode as mentioned before, seal and incubate at 20ºC for 5 days in the dark, measure residual dissolved oxygen concentration, and then calculate BOD.

Winkler Method: (My notes said "Wrinkler", but I'm pretty sure that "r" isn't supposed to be there).
Taken from this thread, look at my other post as well. Hope it helps.

punk_tartan

HSC
thanks... you wouldnt have anything more on teh actuall process used to sanatise the water other taht add chlorine to it ?

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
punk_tartan said:
thanks... you wouldnt have anything more on teh actuall process used to sanatise the water other taht add chlorine to it ?
Well, the whole thing is sanitising water. Adding chlorine kills microorganisms such as Giardia and Cryptosporidium.

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
Dreamerish wouldn’t all that info be more suited under the first dot pt for this sub-section... ?

that is to... identify that water quality can be determined by considering
- all the tests u listed

nevertheless thanks for that info... do we actually have to know all that?... i know them very briefly

describe and assess the effectiveness of methods used to purify and sanitise mass water supplies

I got my notes from somewhere (probably resources)... but the methods are as follows:

Screening: A filter which removes large objects such as twigs, fish and eels etc.

Flocculation: Al2(S04)3 is added with Ca(OH)2 to form the gelatinous precipitate Al(OH)3 whilst raising the PH of the water. The increased (OH-) precipitates iron out. the Al(OH)3 adsorbs other precipitates and bacteria, causing large particle sized precipitates which can be filtered easily. This process is called flocculation (or coagulation).

Clarification: Prior to filtration, the water is allowed to rest, settling out the flocculated particles as sludge on the bottom of the tank

Filtration: Sand filters are used; water is fed through beds of sand which remove the flocculated particles. The filter can be cleaned through backwashing with air and water.

Chlorination and Fluoridation:... (if u really want me to continue i will when i get the chance)

Last edited:

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Wow, I was confused big-time. I was like, 100% sure I typed up the purification process awhile ago. :p Anyhow, hope that helped anyway, there's something on additives here.

Oh and yes, we do need to know that crap.

PURIFICATION OF WATER

Screening: Water is passed through a sieve-like device which removes large objects such as twigs and fish.

Aeration: Water is sprayed into the air in order to absorb more oxygen. The oxygen ionises iron compounds present in water, eliminating yellowness and metallic taste. Note: Aeration is not used in the Sydney water purification process. You can write it in the exam but you need to state that we don't use it.

Flocculation: There are suspended particles in water which are too fine to settle to the bottom of the tank. Hence flocculants such as FeCl3 are added, attracting the suspended solids and thus coagulating into larger particles which are heavier and easier to settle out.

Sedimentation: The coagulants are allowed to settle to the bottom of the tank, where they are collected and extracted.

Filtration: The water is passed through large sand and gravel filters. When the water emerges, it should be clear.

Chlorination: Chlorine is added to disinfect the water by killing microorganisms such as E. coli. Ammonia is added to produce chloramines, which maintain the disinfection action of the chlorine.

pH Adjustment: Buffers (such as carbonates and hydroxides) are added to achieve and maintain the ideal pH of 7.0 - 8.5.

Fluoridation: Fluorine is added to raise the fluoride level to 1 ppm. At this level, tooth decay can be prevented.

Haku

dun u think its too much especially with all the formulas for testing and long list of purification. No normal person could remember that. Dreamerish how do u remember it?

i see a better way is to all link it into a flow chart, very useful and handy.

If any of u do eco i suggest u do the same.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
nosadness said:
dun u think its too much especially with all the formulas for testing and long list of purification. No normal person could remember that. Dreamerish how do u remember it?

i see a better way is to all link it into a flow chart, very useful and handy.

If any of u do eco i suggest u do the same.
Do you mean the purification process? I don't find it that hard to remember. :p

If you mean the Winkler Method, well, nobody remembers that! We just need to know of it, and what it does.

Haku

Dreamerish*~ said:
Wow, I was confused big-time. I was like, 100% sure I typed up the purification process awhile ago. :p Anyhow, hope that helped anyway, there's something on additives here.

Oh and yes, we do need to know that crap.

PURIFICATION OF WATER

Screening: Water is passed through a sieve-like device which removes large objects such as twigs and fish.

Aeration: Water is sprayed into the air in order to absorb more oxygen. The oxygen ionises iron compounds present in water, eliminating yellowness and metallic taste. Note: Aeration is not used in the Sydney water purification process. You can write it in the exam but you need to state that we don't use it.

Flocculation: There are suspended particles in water which are too fine to settle to the bottom of the tank. Hence flocculants such as FeCl3 are added, attracting the suspended solids and thus coagulating into larger particles which are heavier and easier to settle out.

Sedimentation: The coagulants are allowed to settle to the bottom of the tank, where they are collected and extracted.

Filtration: The water is passed through large sand and gravel filters. When the water emerges, it should be clear.

Chlorination: Chlorine is added to disinfect the water by killing microorganisms such as E. coli. Ammonia is added to produce chloramines, which maintain the disinfection action of the chlorine.

pH Adjustment: Buffers (such as carbonates and hydroxides) are added to achieve and maintain the ideal pH of 7.0 - 8.5.

Fluoridation: Fluorine is added to raise the fluoride level to 1 ppm. At this level, tooth decay can be prevented.
lol no idea who wrinkler is or what methe he does

i only know 1.screening, 2. flocculation, 3.filtration and 4.chlorination.

seriously thats all u need to know.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
nosadness said:
lol no idea who wrinkler is or what methe he does

i only know 1.screening, 2. flocculation, 3.filtration and 4.chlorination.

seriously thats all u need to know.
Is it?

Well, I already remember all seven. I suppose fluoridation, aeration and sedimentation aren't as important.

It's stuck in my head. I wish English would stick likewise.

Haku

maybe the more the better, but normally a water question on asking steps to purify is like 4 marks. so 4 main points and than some explaination. Thats all u need.

dreamo could u please explain eutrophication? i dun get it, like how they test and solve eutrophication problems.

ps: by Dreamo "Note: The following procedures for testing water quality are all QUANTITATIVE" where is ur post about the qualitative tests?

maybe you could compile a whole new thread and call it "DREAMO's guide to complete water resource and management."

please direct me to all ur water posts, thanks

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
nosadness said:
maybe the more the better, but normally a water question on asking steps to purify is like 4 marks. so 4 main points and than some explaination. Thats all u need.

dreamo could u please explain eutrophication? i dun get it, like how they test and solve eutrophication problems.

ps: by Dreamo "Note: The following procedures for testing water quality are all QUANTITATIVE" where is ur post about the qualitative tests?

maybe you could compile a whole new thread and call it "DREAMO's guide to complete water resource and management."

please direct me to all ur water posts, thanks
Qualitative is stuff like colour... etc. :p

I'll make those threads. :) Give me half an hour.

Haku

cool cool, looking forward to it, than i could print it and study of it.

oh and u haven;t really explained what wrinklers process is...

would u consider useing the name i provided?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)