word count question (1 Viewer)

jess39

HSC
I was under the impression that the word count for the short story was 6000-8000, and that the reflection statement is a separate piece of writing, with a separate word count.

However my teacher has told us that the RS word count is now (as in, starting this year) included in the 6000-8000. Has anyone else been told this? I'm hoping my teacher misunderstood something somewhere along the line, because I've just finished my story and it's very nearly 8000 words. I've tried to cut some out, but it's more like 300 words, rather than 2000...

If the RS is included, I'm kind of screwed. There is no way I can scrap 2000 words of my story.

hereyes

HSC
no need to worry, your teacher most likely misunderstood something because it has been and still been like this; the reflection statement is submitted and is entirely (in terms of word count) separate from your short story. It is probably because other forms like 'poetry' have the reflection statement included within the word restrictions.:)

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC
No, it hasn't changed...

The Reflection Statement is composed at the end of the composition process and is a reflection upon the process and the completed product. The statement must contain a minimum of 1,000 words and no more than 1500 words.
(Page 131 of the English Syllabus)

Students must complete a short story or a selection of stories within the 6,000 – 8,000 word limit. The word limit does not include the Reflection Statement.
(Page 132)

http://boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/english_syl.pdf

I'm assuming your teacher may have misunderstood something... Perhaps you should show her/him these sections of the syllabus and ask if they could clarify what they mean?

jess39

HSC
Thank you so much! I'll show her that.
Now I can stop stressing so much...

accio.brain

HSC
It better not have changed cos i would be seriously screwed...

jess39

HSC
In case anyone was wondering, it hasn't changed. My teacher called the Board of Studies. Turns out she misunderstood something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)